BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at 87 grady 25 ft twin 99 200 hp yamahas. Will getting the fuel tank cleaned out fix the problems ethanol caused by cleaning the crap off the side from the old fuel,or do i need to replace tank? THANKS

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Rocky,

I bought a 1990 23 Gulfstream in October 2010 and I pulled the main tank adn cleaned it and also replaced ALL of the fuel lines..I had ones that weere literally coming apart in my hands when I bought it in 2010..

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had to replace the tanks in my 88 Grady Sailfish when I repowered. They were a complete mess! I suspect the boat you are looking at may be similar. I think the total job was about 3-4k, that was for both tanks and new hoses. I had new water pumps (fresh and salt wash downs) done while floor was apart so I can't remember exactly what the fuel tank job cost alone.

·
Registered
77,619 Posts
I pulled mine in my 88 Gulfstream as well. Replaced all lines including vent lines. Also moved vent tank hook-up a few inches further away from the main fuel intake. I never have fuel splash out of the vents now during fill ups.
sorry almost forgot. be sure to install...
Racor filter/separators
B32013 – Complete kit 80.00

Patriot Marine Fabricating, Forked River NJ 08731 ...
Patriot Marine Fabricating, 708 Old Shore Rd, Forked River, NJ. Tel: 609-693- 5542. Come to MerchantCircle to get Patriot Marine Fabricating information, ...

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
I bought an 87 Gulfstream Sept 2010. Replaced all the original fuel lines. The tanks looked good on the outside. Didn't do anything for the inside, and both tanks were damn near empty when ran it. (we had to bring fuel:rolleyes:).

Rocky, are you sure the tanks need cleaning out?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The owner seems to think he needs new tanks because he blew a piston in one of the yam motors,so he thinks taht might be the issue plus there 20 yrs old .if i can get away with not replacing the tank yet that would be great.He also has all new fuel lines that have to be installed. so would cleaning the tank be an option instead of replacing whole tank? thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
A 25 year old aluminum fuel tank could be pitted, and probably is. No cleaning can fix that. Installing a new tank is a pain in the rear, but will give the peace of mind that you are not cruising around with a ticking fuse under your feet. Plus, a new tank is a lot cheaper than multiple engine rebuilds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts