BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lOOKING AT A GRADY 89 25 FT.IT HAS TWIN 200 YAMAHAS WITH 1100 HRS.wHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THESE ENGINES AND WHAT DO YOU THINK TOP SPEED AND FUEL BURN WOULD BE WITH THIS SET UP. aLSO LOOKING TO HAVE THE ENGINES CHECKED OUT ANYONE ON HERE INTERESTED ,LOOKING TO HAVE COMPRESSION TEST AND WHAT EVER ELSE THAT CAN BE CHECKED thanks

·
Vendor
944 Posts
What year/model are the Yamahas??

·
Registered
214 Posts
80's grady's

make sure you check out the transome . their known for rottin out in the 80's i just had to replace mine:(

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Get a survey on the hull. I would be less worried about the motors than I would be the boat.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Open transom or bracket?

Are the engines 89's or newer? When I was looking for boats, more than one Yammy guy said that a borescope inspection with a compression test was the way to go. Looking inside will show you the cylinder wall condition, and "could look into the future."

I have no idea on fuel burn or top speed.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
What is the asking price on the boat? Those gradys always have some question marks...I would personally stay away unless the price is great. You have to think repower soon, that's a big deal...

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
My boat is an 88 sailfish with 2005 HPDI 200 HP yamis. At 4000 rpms and a full crew on board, I am doing 27-28 knots and burning 16 gallons per hour. I would get a survey done on the boat. I have replaced the fuel tanks and associated fill hoses and fuel lines. Also the floor boards (both pieces) have been recored. I also replaced all the water hoses all over the boat including those coming from the thru hull, bilge, livewell, scupper, and fresh water systems. I also replaced the thru hull fittings with stainless above water and chrome below. Had my transom checked and it is fine so far. Also replaced recently were coming pads and eisenglass. If none of the above have been done, I would purchase the boat considering the cost of the above. The boat handles considerable seas even without the newer hull. The older yamis burn more fuel. The 200 hpdi's hold up very well if properly maintained. Mine have 1350 hours. The nice thing about 2 stroke engines is that you can purchase a new powerhead from yamaha for $3500.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Beware of the plastic thru-hulls grady used. They crack and connecting hose falls off. Many are at the waterline leading to sinking!!!

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
lOOKING AT A GRADY 89 25 FT.IT HAS TWIN 200 YAMAHAS WITH 1100 HRS.wHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THESE ENGINES AND WHAT DO YOU THINK TOP SPEED AND FUEL BURN WOULD BE WITH THIS SET UP. aLSO LOOKING TO HAVE THE ENGINES CHECKED OUT ANYONE ON HERE INTERESTED ,LOOKING TO HAVE COMPRESSION TEST AND WHAT EVER ELSE THAT CAN BE CHECKED thanks
great boat overall, used to have the same boat

first thing is with those yamahas, if they are as old as the boat check real good to see if they are rusted/corroded, if the engines are on a bracket the lower units most likely dip in they water when the engines are tilted up, this is the biggest complaint i had with the boat when i had it. However if the engines arent rusted and corroded bad, they should be ok those old yamahas seem to run forever, but they do use alot of gas. However if your planning on running offshore I would repower.

As far as the boat is concerned, she will handle more than you are most likely willing to put her through, very stable and safe boat. Ive felt more safe in a 25 grady than i have in alot of 30 foot boats. an 89 wont have the new sv2 hull which grady didnt release until the 94 models i believe. The sv2 is much better than the old hulls. The old hulls are notorious for pounding the sheet out of you in a head sea, however if you know how to use your trim tabs and motor trim you can find a sweet spot for her.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone yes the moters are on a bracket and i think there are the obx66 i think something like that.THe price is 9000.00.The boat is very clean but ill have to look at the stuff mentoned tahnks again!

·
Registered
829 Posts
as above i have had similar issues...i have a 87 240 offshore

bought it last summer as a first boat..lets say i have gotten educated

recored the hatch covers over both fuel tanks
rewired the entire boat
replaced all the thru hulls and scuppers (some of the nuts where broken but covered in gloobs of silicon, so you couldn't tell they were broken)

these ppl that state about the hull slamming must not be able to slow down or use trim tabs...:D

if the boat wasn't kept after expect to make a project out of it..

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
those OX 66's are bullet proof. i have 900hrs on my 250's and they run like raped apes. they go through oil and fuel, but not too bad. keep the VST filters clean and your good to go. and check the LP fuel pumps. i had one go bad last fall. motor woulndnt stay running. have DUNK look at boat, ive heard horror stories bout some of those gradys

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I bought a 1990 23 Gulfstream with 2004 150 4strokes in October 2010 and paid 11K. I had to replace the transom (knew this) and I replaced all of the thru hulls, pulled the main tank and replaced all of the fuel hoses...20 year old boat is just a matter of time and the fuel lines were falling apart due to ethanol....Dunk I believe is Bob Dunkleberger....

·
Registered
928 Posts
i have the 90 sailfish great boat big cockpit replaced the fuel lines replaced scuppers very very clean no rot has 2001 mercs burn is 1.3 at 4000 doing 28kts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
check the fuel tankkkkkkkkkkk
I just replaced mine last winter. When I was messing around in there I ended up replacing a couple of the bulkheads lining the tanks. Those were extremely rotted, almost no structural worth left. I have twin 225 Hondas on a bracket on my boat, same year. As long as Everything checks out in the survey it'll be a great rig. With the new power I see 30 mph at about 36-3800 rpm about 7-8 gph each motor. Can't speak to fuel efficiency of the yammi's but neighbor has one that has about 1500 hrs still runs strong.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I agree on the fuel tanks,I replaced mine last year and recoared the decks.
The deck plates have a tendency to leak causing tank issues and spongy floors. 1989 GW 25, 200 Hondas on bracket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts