BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back this morning. Had a decent trip off Hatteras . we actually fished from pirates cove and it was baout a 40 mile run to the temp break.
Caught some nice fish took one 64.5" weighed 160lbs, majority of the fish were large but by days end the fish were between 45-70lbs. The big fish bit early so if you head there be fishing at first light if you want big ones. The big fish BIT to about 9:30/10 am then they kept getting smaller.

We fished a typlical spread of naked or skirted chin weighted balllyhoo. As the day progressed we tried swiming ballyhoo. Way, way back both naked and with islander could not keep the BIG fish biting. The way way back and wieghted swiming ballyhoo did not work. We pulled out all the Cape May tricks and they did not work. We did not jig. I am not a jigging expert and don't know if that would have made a differnce. I did see some guys hooked up late in the day jigging on what looked to be the same class fish. I am not complaining about going 9 for 11 just giving you as much info as possible.

I recomend you get down there asap as it won't last forever. This fish are biting insane. The make HUGE explosions and its really cool cause the spread is very close to the boat. Don't blink or you'll miss the bite on the flat line............

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Just got back this morning. Had a decent trip off Hatteras . we actually fished from pirates cove and it was baout a 40 mile run to the temp break.
Caught some nice fish took one 64.5" weighed 160lbs, majority of the fish were large but by days end the fish were between 45-70lbs. The big fish bit early so if you head there be fishing at first light if you want big ones. The big fish BIT to about 9:30/10 am then they kept getting smaller.

We fished a typlical spread of naked or skirted chin weighted balllyhoo. As the day progressed we tried swiming ballyhoo. Way, way back both naked and with islander could not keep the BIG fish biting. The way way back and wieghted swiming ballyhoo did not work. We pulled out all the Cape May tricks and they did not work. We did not jig. I am not a jigging expert and don't know if that would have made a differnce. I did see some guys hooked up late in the day jigging on what looked to be the same class fish. I am not complaining about going 9 for 11 just giving you as much info as possible.

I recomend you get down there asap as it won't last forever. This fish are biting insane. The make HUGE explosions and its really cool cause the spread is very close to the boat. Don't blink or you'll miss the bite on the flat line............
Capt. Val, are you running a similar spread as we do up here in Jersey or are all naked's have chin weights? I know you hit on this in the report but I was curious about what works best down there on a consecutive basis. I guess they prefer tight spreads as opposed to WWB? Do any of these tactics seem to work up here or is it just territorial?

By the way I'm really good friends with Gary McCloskey Jr. & Sr. also JVtuna
a.k.a John Valenti. Nice job on the BFT Capt!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Capt. Val, are you running a similar spread as we do up here in Jersey or are all naked's have chin weights? I know you hit on this in the report but I was curious about what works best down there on a consecutive basis. I guess they prefer tight spreads as opposed to WWB? Do any of these tactics seem to work up here or is it just territorial?

By the way I'm really good friends with Gary McCloskey Jr. & Sr. also JVtuna
a.k.a John Valenti. Nice job on the BFT Capt!:thumbsup:
Everything was chin weighted and the spread was tight. In Cape May we use the Way back thing , downrigger and heavy weight splitbill swimmer.

Can't answer the question I just think it changes as a few years ago when I had my boat in Morehead NC we used the way way back method and a planner so go figure. The fish all all kinds of s&it in their belly so they must be feeding on whatver swims by.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
J
We fished a typlical spread of naked or skirted chin weighted balllyhoo. As the day progressed we tried swiming ballyhoo. Way, way back both naked and with islander could not keep the BIG fish biting. The way way back and wieghted swiming ballyhoo did not work. We pulled out all the Cape May tricks and they did not work. .....
val,

did you run two lines deep , 50'+? .. after the sun gets high 80% of our fish over 65" bite on the deep lines.

congrats on a great trip

josh

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
val,

did you run two lines deep , 50'+? .. after the sun gets high 80% of our fish over 65" bite on the deep lines.

congrats on a great trip

josh
Yes, Also Dumped inside rod on turn to get down with more baits etc. Seemed like the big fish just shut down. Could have caught the small ones all day IMO. We quit fishing at 12:30.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.