BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was one of those days. Had a good Bass bite in the bay. Then decide to go Fluking.

I fish all the time with my 2 Labrador Retrievers, one is 12 years old the other just over a year. Fortunately I have never had what happened yesterday happen to either of my dogs.

Had a friends yellow lab on the boat. When we started fluke fishing I found out real quick that he likes fluke belly, with hooks in it. Sue was at the Vet with the dog till 3:30 this am. Dumb mistake, make sure you don't make it.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
About 9 years ago, I took my rottie on his first fishing trip. He almost swallowed a hook w/bait on it. I went down his throat and got it out. Thank God there were no injuries.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im a dog lover and own 2 goldens....I hope your dog is ok,my dogs Katie and Annie send there best for a speedy recovery.

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
Good news!!!!!

The current IGFA all tackle record for Labradors is only 82 pounds. Did you get an official weight on that puppie. Did you save your leader...you will have to submit that to the IGFA to clam your record.

Buddy says "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
About 7 yrs ago I took my 1yr old lab out for her first and last fishing trip on a 15ft makee.

She had a blast watching the bow wake from the front of the boat at slow speeds.As the day went on I gained confidence that she was going to be a good boat dog.

When I passed the stink house we got swarmed by the greenheads and I dropped the hammer deciding to call it a day.

The dog imeeditly ran to the bow and jumped strait off the front of the boat.In horror I pulled back the throttle sure I just ran down my dog.As I looked back there was no sign of her for 6-7 seconds then she popped up and swam away from me as I called to her.[who could blame her right].

I got her back in the boat shook-up but unharmed-not a scratch and got back underway.Dont you know she tried to go right back to the bow.I flipped out.

I put next to the helm and put my foot in her coller to pin her to the floor.
With my nerves shot I drove back screaming and cusing at the dog[that no one could see].

It took me a while to notice people in other boats pointing and laughing at the angry,crazy,cusing guy flying through the bay in his makee.

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
I can't take my golden if I am going to fish. He thinks every cast is a game of fetch. He has also decided when close to shore in the marshes to jump overboard and chase any birds he can find. He won't come back until he is covered with marshmud that gets everywhere.....it was funny the first time he did it....looking back I should have scolded him good for that because now he thinks he can do it every trip.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
This guy is 1 of 2 that regularly come fishing.
Odie tried the bow thing once as a pup , He no longer does that ! The worst thing he does now is go fishing in the livewell to make shore i don't have any bait when i need it. All you see is his butt and wagging tail sticking out of a 50 gallon oval well :D

Dusky good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Visited the victim last night he is fine. Vet did the tube down the throat retrieval. Like I said earlier in the post watch your dogs closely on the boat, accidents happen.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I used to mix sardines and flour for trout and my English pointer took a liking to it. I'm glad it was just a trout hook. He almost spooled me before I could catch him.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I recently took my golden out on the river for the first time. Thank god my wife was with my because we passed through a water ski slalom course and he was ready to dive in after every ball floating in the water.

Glad your dog is OK.

I am not going into the details, but search for "Dogs and Fishing Lures". You can read my horror story(s).

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Happened to me last year.....Was at this girls house for the first time....Her dog was outside as we was hoppin in the car....she opened the door..and the dog hopped right in the backseat and went right for a yozuri crystal minnow...this dog had the treble goin thru its lip...haha I felt like a dumbass...great first impression in front of her dad...He took the dog out of the car and took it tho the vet...he bought me a new lure tho!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
My sister's dog picked up my 3 oz. Polarus Popper and brought it to me last fall. I freaked it! He managed to get all the wood and it fell into my hand. Yikes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts