BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I got cited with Defiant Tresspassing for walking thru a construction area on the Causeway. Now I'm very leary about where I go. Saturday night, I drove over the causeway, and I'm not sure if there are any spots where you can legally fish.

Coming from Somer's Point, the first pulloff(Elbow) had some construction vehicles parked there. Once you start going over Rainbow channel, you are on the new bridge. The Welcome Center parking lot is now off to the side down a turnoff, but it looked like there may have been construction vehicles down on the old bridge. So even if you park in the Welcome Center lot, you;ll be going into a construction zone to fish.

Has anyone gotten a closer look at the construction area?

thanks,

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Ive never fished it but I drove past Friday on my way to Tackle Direct. There is alot of work going on and I doubt you are gonna get out there this year, have to yak it.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Al, I fished "there" on sunday afternoon. Lots of construction vehicles to walk past to get to the path, but I didn't run into any trouble.... even saw a father and his young son walking amongst the construction vehicles/machines just looking at them...so I figured if they were there, it was ok for me to be fishing away from all the construction .... :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
barrell said:
Did they build a ramp or is there a beach to launch the yak from?
I usually launch my yak from the Circle Liquor store parking lot. It's right were the causeway comes into Somers Point. From there you can paddle to Elbow channel and Rainbow Channel or fish the bridge right at the circle.

There's a small launch beach at Elbow Channel, but now it's in a construction zone. Last fall they were ticketing guys for going into the construction zone.

·
Registered
324 Posts
akozols said:
I usually launch my yak from the Circle Liquor store parking lot. It's right were the causeway comes into Somers Point. From there you can paddle to Elbow channel and Rainbow Channel or fish the bridge right at the circle.

There's a small launch beach at Elbow Channel, but now it's in a construction zone. Last fall they were ticketing guys for going into the construction zone.
i did the circle liquor thing a couple of times last spring
two words: long paddle

·
Registered
413 Posts
Also they have bouys to keep boats away from both the new and the old bridge in Rainbow Channel and Throfare and part way alongside the channel from the old bridge in Rainbow towards the old launch ramp (by the bulkheads). An OC officer told me that boats will be kept away from both bridges near Rainbow.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I dont want to be a nancy, but Id be careful around there. It would be a good excuse to put up signs that wont come down after construction.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
RyanF said:
I dont want to be a nancy, but Id be careful around there. It would be a good excuse to put up signs that wont come down after construction.

RyanF
Yea, I know... I have a bad feeling that I'll have to find another sodbank spot to fish off of... which sucks because I don't know any others that I can get to on foot. When I have enough cash or have a friend to go with, I usually rent a boat from brigantine or wildwood, but it was always nice to have this spot "in my back pocket" when I just wanted to pay a bridge toll, AC expressway toll and a parkway toll :eek:

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
RyanF said:
Ive never fished it but I drove past Friday on my way to Tackle Direct. There is alot of work going on and I doubt you are gonna get out there this year, have to yak it.

RyanF
dont think thats even gunna work they got bouys all around that place saying no trespassing

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This thread is getting me bummed out. The causeway is the only SPOT that I know. Add the fact that I won't be able to fish it from the yak makes it even worse. I guess I'm going to have to try to find some other sods behind OC.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What kills me is the fact that when the low causeway is removed we are loosing one of possibly the biggest nurseries in NJ...

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
akozols said:
This thread is getting me bummed out. The causeway is the only SPOT that I know. Add the fact that I won't be able to fish it from the yak makes it even worse. I guess I'm going to have to try to find some other sods behind OC.
I will take you out in a kayak and you will find out that every bridge and dock is accesable and fishable. Ill start going out in two weeks at night.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
barrell said:
I will take you out in a kayak and you will find out that every bridge and dock is accesable and fishable. Ill start going out in two weeks at night.
He's right, every dock and bridge in SJ will hold fish too.

RyanF

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
barrell said:
I'll take you up on that offer. I should be ready to yak in a few weeks too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts