BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A Brownie worth Bragging about! I finally added the PIX

Well, I don't post many fishing reports...some would say that is because I don't catch anything:rolleyes: But what happened this weekend just screams for a report post.

To begin, Mako6950 was supposed to join us....he and the Mrs actually....but she put the Kibosh on that plan.....shame, shame,shame!:p

We then invited Mike from the Bubba Buck and his wife Joanie. Joanie spooked off because we would be out into dark and that just bugs her a bit. Unlike Mulgoon, Mike was able to Man Up and told the little lady...I'm goin fishin!

We head out into the grounds and wrestled a pair of dragons......big fish in the 200 class....as long as my transom is wide. We bested 2 nice Brownies in the 4.5 foot range but that did not prepare us for what we would catch next.

We had a fish hit a 30 outfit and streak off, riding high the whole time. It circled the boat and then settled into a battle station behind the boat, scooting off the the Port and Starboard side now and again. It then took up residence directly below the boat and I was able to convince her to come to the top...........It was a Brown Shark the likes of which I have never seen:eek: This fish dwarfed every Brown I ever caught. To put this into perspective, I have caught over 500 Brown sharks in 8 seasons with a few to 6 feet and this thing was bigger....way bigger. It was obvious that she was pregnant, but even if she was not, she would have been massive. I know that Marty has probably seen some this size, but for me it was an incredible experience. I would estimate the fish at 175 or better. Let me burn the size of this thing into your head a bit better.........If I would have chosen to take this fish, I would have shot it......no clubbing for this beast.

As she came to the top, I made the decision right away, we would not take the fish. She was too big to kill for nothing more than some steaks. She was a magestic old woman that deserved respect. We unhooked her and set her free unharmed.

Well there you go, a fish I feel was worth writing about, a fish I have waited 8 seasons for. :)

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
WTG Chuck. Must have been a site to see her at nite

Any Pictures?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
awesome Jimmy nice read and great fish !!
Draggons ???

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
VDAWG said:
Draggons ???
Sandtigers. ;)

Nice trip, yes, I am a whipped man. My wife laid down the law and I sat in the corner all weekend. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Actually I worked all weekend, so it wasn't too bad. :( :(

That is a great story to have heard right from the source. Amazing fish & a great release. I can't wait to see the pix. Get that woman on the computer

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MargaritaVille said:
Jimmy,
When can we go back??? I want to lay into a couple of these fish.
Jay, Kim and I have been talking and want to make you a trade. This weekend, Saturday to be exact, we would like to do some clamming and want to know if you are interested in joining us...we need that helping hand the first time. In return, we are looking to get you and Al and maybe Kim out one evening next weekend. Can you do Friday nights? We are going to try a marathon weekend hitting Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings!

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Jimmy- thanks for the report. It was a great read! Congats on an awesome fish.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Browns

Good Job! Sounds like alot of fun. I would like to try this. What kind of rig do you use(hook,wire,weight,lenth,depth) Do you need alot of chum .What part of the bay is the best for Browns. Any advice would be great!
TROP

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Ya didn't belive me when I told ya that they get that big Ya ain't seen nothing yet. Watch out for Bull Sharks they look simaliar but have a nastyer attitude.

·
Registered
23,111 Posts
Jim, good report!!:)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TROP said:
Good Job! Sounds like alot of fun. I would like to try this. What kind of rig do you use(hook,wire,weight,lenth,depth) Do you need alot of chum .What part of the bay is the best for Browns. Any advice would be great!
TROP
I use a custom wire rig of about 5 to 7 feet long that I make up my self. The hooks are 6/0 to 8/0 I usually use 20 lb outfits, rarely heavier.....we had a few 20s take a poop on us so we used a bit heavier. Chum has to be ladled over the side so you can increase it and decrease it as the conditions require. Depth varies from 20 to 50 feet. Any areas where there is a break in depth with access to shallow flats.

Be careful and please respect the resource.

At night is the only way to do it right!

Pix are coming, I have to resize them. For some reason, My camera just takes them really large.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Jimmy....nice report. My catch & release mentality must have rubbed off on you since you released her ;).

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
That's a nice brownie. We hooked into a big one this year but it was about 40 miles out in the ocean. I think ours was about 100lbs. This was a bay shark?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts