BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
headed out on a solo crabbin trip today and ended up bringin home a bushel of jimmies. traps in at 7 30 and out at 11 30. not a hot bite at all today but a ok pickin at times. only caught about 6 or 8 females all day and maybe 2 or 3 were keeper size.low tide was at about 8 30 so i caught the end of outgoin and the begin of incomin. 35 traps , came home with 34, always seem to loose one or two somewhere. 72 degrees water,i crabbed between 2 to 4 ft the whole time and did not move many traps around since the tide was out and not many places to go. chicken 1/4 s the bait and in my two comm traps i had bunker. they were only in 4 hours . they pulled in about 18 crabs , ten of which were keepers to top off the bushel, had to put the lid on and hit them down in order to fit them all. just ate two dozen and most were very full and hard. tomorrow i am gonna try my neqw crabmaster 2 that i just got. taste them crab cakes now !!!! bb

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice catch, Bob. Couldn't you find someone to go with you? Let me know how you make out with your crab master.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
BB,
Sounds like you had a good time!

You'll love the crabmaster.

I throw the live crabs in the crisper draw for a day or two. Then clean them live, pull the claws off, break them in half and roll them with the crabmaster.

Wife likes crabmeat saute' in butter with a little white pepper, sea salt and fresh lemon.

Maryland crab soup, crabcakes, or flounder stuffed with crabmeat are the ticket for me.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Crab master ?
I guess this is what i call a crab press . Roller with a handle that presses the meat out ?

If it is i'm glad to know you folks have them , i need a new one .

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hookin up thats the one, just got it. i was down the shore in the back bays. less than a mile from the ocean. cant reveal the spot as a good friend of mine has crabbed it for many years and never hooked up anyone with his spot but did share it with me. but they ARE AROUND , MIGHT HAVE TO MOVE AROUND A bit to find them. bb

·
Registered
920 Posts
The CrabMaster looks like a useful tool...my family used to meticulously pick the meat out of the crab bodies...Someone mentioned a roller with handles to extract the meat? Seems like there might be an alternative to forking out $45 for the CrabMaster...Also, I noticed in the directions for the CrabMaster that the CLEANED crabs must be chilled for a day or 2...Anyone here ever try this? Was wondering if the quality of the meat is affected from sitting uncooked for a day or 2? Thanks----Mike

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
rocdoc, you better cook em first. check out the Blue-Crab Archives for info here. Believe you have to cook and CLEAN first.

·
Registered
920 Posts
On The Hook---
Yeah, I wan't sure if you had to cook em first...I guess the process would be to cook em, chill em, then clean em??? Guess you're right--- never really heard about extracting meat from crabs before they've been cooked......Mike

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it worked very good. ended up with over 3 lbs of meat from the crabs that we did not cook. once i got use to it i could roll them pretty quick. had crab cakes tonight with the bevs striper cake recipe. rocdoc, if i catch the crabs on sunday i cleanthem all and will leave in fridge until wend at the latest uncooked and have not problems. the only prob with this tool is that now i have a big bowl full of claws that i could not roll. this time i just froze the claws , but i dont want a thousand claws in my freezer all year. my traps are all homemade by me except for my two comm traps are made by HAASES . they are 6" x 10"x10" with two doors . just started making som emore tonight, since the past few trips i have left a few out. they look like the ones you buy in walmart or dicks. just much cheaper to make. bruce im still hangin sheetrock and all the good things that go with it. not with uccg anymore though. 6 1/2 years there. bb

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thanks for the reply BB...cool that you make your own traps as well....As to extracting the crab meat BEFORE cooking, I remember that in the past when my grandpop used to make crab cakes, I believe that we would pick meat off of COOKED crabs before forming them into cakes and then cooking the cakes...If cooking cakes with RAW crab meat, not sure how you'd tell how the crab meat in the center of the cake is done? Seems like they would'nt take too long to cook, though....Mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had my kids get me a crabmaster for Father's day. Works great. The crabs must be cleaned raw as the press cannot get cooked meat out of the shell. The process is easy. Scott's B&T has directions on the website. I just refill 1/2L water bottles with tap water and line the bottom of my 70qt cooler. By the time we get 2-3 dozen and get home, the crabs think it's February in Maine. They hardly move. Twisting the claws off popping the shell, and scraping the guts is quick. The shell has to be chilled for 10 hours minimum before pressing. Can be stored for a week though.

I've had crabs all ways, and for crab cakes and other receipes, the meat pressed raw is far superior. A lot has been said about cooked in shell and cleaned first. Both methods taste good but the messy steamed in the shell with newspapers and pitchers of beer just doesn't fit every occasion. I plan to work my *** off with this press and then use my vacuum sealer to freeze a couple of pounds for New Years Eve. Won't that warm you up!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Wow, whoda thunk it, a crab meat press..hope it doesn't catch on in Chrisfield MD or those pickers are outta work !! :rolleyes: My father and grandfather are comm. crabbers here in DE and we've never seen that..what happens with the shells the meat is pressed out of?? I mean how does it work, other than the obvious? Any shells left..my wife would love that :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.