BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting at my desk working and looked at the thermometer. Hmm, 68 and rising. Flip on the marine forecast. Hi 74, winds light and variable, around 5. Okay..sit there and work.. or go launch? Duh.

Hit some flats about 4 miiles up the bay. Using an old rebel topwater plug, first fish was a very respectable bluefish. I didn't weigh or tape him, but my guess was every ounce of 3lbs. Possibly 3.5. I threw the rebel several more times and came tight on a very decent speckled trout. He was exactly 20 inches. I threw probably 20 more times without a hit.. but the tide had stopped completely. So... wait on some motion..or move?

I have a really neat canal I like to fish in the winter. Down here when we get cold snaps the snook, reds and trout and mullet often go up in the residential "lagoons" to get warm. My favorite one is my favorite because there's a ridiculously low bridge you have to go under to get in it. Anyone with a top, or even a tall windshield is "out". Very little pressure on those fish.

So.. I scoot to the canal, and at first I'm not impressed. I don't see jack. No swirls, no ripples, no bizaro mullet jumping for joy. But I'm there so I start casting a jighead with a 3 inch new penny gulp. Second cast..bang. A speckled trout. 19 inches. Okay this day is going along just fine.

A few more casts and I felt a VERY familiar tug. sure enough when I saw it , I let out a chuckle. I had a 15 inch flounder. So, back to tossing the jig. Well, you guys know how it is sometimes. you just aren't really as prepared as you should be. I tossed the jig near a dock and came tight. Really tight. Like..loosing a heapload of line tight. What in the world is this? I was dreamin of a big redfish, and it pulled like one.

It took a while for my first glint at it. Oh boy, it was a drum alright. But not a Red drum, it was a classic black drum like we do in Tuckerton. This puppy wasn't a monster, but he was every bit of 18 lbs or so. Well, like a dope, I don't have a net on board. I got him the the surface, and pondered.. what the hell am I going to do here?

I got his head up by the transom, reached in to "lip grab" him, and all hell broke loose. Unfortunately so did my line. I let out quite the expletive when he slowly motored away. In fact it was embarrassing, I'm in a lagoon lined with 5 million dollar homes and it just echoed for what seemed like forever. Oh well..I'm sure they've heard it before.

That was it. I was so ticked at myself for leaving the net home, I headed back to the marina, and if nothing else..had two specs, one blue and a smallish flounder to slice up for dinner. I sure would have liked that Drum though, at that size they eat pretty well.

So, the weather man had it dead right, the fish weren't jumping in the boat, but they were there, and all in all for January 5.. I'll take it.

See you guys in may for some drum fishing up there.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Good report. Sounds like a nice variety biting down there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes its been really pretty good. December was very warm and we're still catching things that should have shut off like spanish macs.

Talkin to my neighbors back in Tuckerton, you guys have had some great weather too considering....

·
Registered
744 Posts
back in the 70s i lived in bradenton fla 102 34th st north we used to fish the braden river a get charters right under the bridge befor you crossed over to anna maria island we would go out for grooper &red snapper i think it was only $ 7 for a full day trip do they still run charters from that area anymore im thinkin about a little vacation ? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
In Florida catching............ Bluefish?!?............. That just seems wrong.......... :D :wave:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
In Florida catching............ Bluefish?!?............. That just seems wrong.......... :D :wave:
Nice run of blues down here AND they're not as strong tasting as their relatives up north. Flounder, on the other hand, aren't as firm as northern flounder.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
This has been the best year ever by far for flounder down here, good size too. Wonder why? I still haven't seen a bluefish though.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Damn bluefish all over down here... I spear em for chum :D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
back in the 70s i lived in bradenton fla 102 34th st north we used to fish the braden river a get charters right under the bridge befor you crossed over to anna maria island we would go out for grooper &red snapper i think it was only $ 7 for a full day trip do they still run charters from that area anymore im thinkin about a little vacation ? :thumbsup:

Flukin... Yes Brandenton has a lot of charters now adays, but the days of 7 dollar trips went out with the 5K dollar new car!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know.. flounder, bluefish, drum.. maybe I'm still in tuckerton??

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This has been the best year ever by far for flounder down here, good size too. Wonder why? I still haven't seen a bluefish though.
Where are you at Bay? Im in Sarasota proper, fish Sarasota bay and the gulf.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Nice run of blues down here AND they're not as strong tasting as their relatives up north. Flounder, on the other hand, aren't as firm as northern flounder.
Likely their diet? Are they feasting on shrimp instead of bunker, giving them better taste?

We caught some from the surf when we were there in October, but I didn't even think to try one as we were in a pompano/permit frame of mind.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
FWIW, I just had this coversation and I was told that the flounder have rebounded because of the shrimpers can't shrimp w/in three miles of the coast anymore. The flounder bycatch was huge.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Sounds like your doing well down there, Im catching Black Drum for sure up here. Hope the trout bite again soon. Going to fish under the Skyway bridge Sunday with Eddie B. and hope to get some Reds and Sheephead. Take care and give me a shout when you get time, Johnny

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
FWIW, I just had this coversation and I was told that the flounder have rebounded because of the shrimpers can't shrimp w/in three miles of the coast anymore. The flounder bycatch was huge.
Makes sense but I didn't even know the shrimpers were within 3 miles here. I was talking about in the harbor.....but still i guess that would help. Thanks!

They have been hitting shrimp meant for redfish and snook..nobody really targets flounder here. I bet a good fluke rig on a drift would killem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts