BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat U S and West Marine is having a special sale of 20 percent off everything in the store for preferred customers. It's time to buy myself a Xmas present! My boat is a 25 foot Parker- does anyone have suggestions from personal experience or from someone you know? Thanks in advance!!! Dennis

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
http://www.iboats.com/mall/cart_id.332773850
Just purchased a new powerwinch sportfish auto windless for$499.00 shipped free overnite, Had the 20% cupon and got 200' line to chin from west marine Bear Del for my Parker. Also picked up 100' no 6 cable from jc whitney for .46c ft the rest wanted $1.19a foot jc whitney also had shrink tube kit in 4' leinghts for what the others wanted for 6" kit!

Have just over $1000.00 invested in all wireing main cut off with removable key, rope to chain SS davit rooler and 2 1/2" hole saw bitt terminal ends and connectors.

I here Good Winch's are bullett prof but power winch makes the best trailer winch on the mkt. I can't wait to uncover the BlueFinn and install.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i would make sure i got a windlass that had freefall myself. powering out to anchor over a certain spot might be harder than you think especially in deep water.

·
Registered
535 Posts
one more thing. i have a boat your size and i have looked at the horizon 600 w/ freefall. about 1000-1100 bucks.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Powerwinch 31 Class Anchor Windlass Powerwinch 31 Class Anchor Windlass 16603 549.99 549.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.iboats.com/mall/cart_id.332773850

Subtotal: $549.99
Shipping: 11.51
Total: $561.50

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Hi Dennis, I have had the Horizon 6000 but when I got the new boat 5 different people recommended I upgrade to a "GoodWinch" there made in NJ are freefall and come with a color coded chain/rode combo.

http://www.goodwindlass.com/

I have the 850A
with 200' of line. (small anchor locker)plus I rarely leave the D-Bay.
but you can get 300' if you have the room.

http://www.goodwindlass.com/Products/ropechainwindlasses/ropechainwindlasses.htm#F850windlass

[ 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: WANDERER ]

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Dennis,
I got mine from a place in California on the reccomendation of a Barner this spring. I'm at work now but will post the website we got them from. I have a 24'Hardtop and would reccomend the unit to anyone. We used it all over the Deleware Bay with no problems. Fee fall is not needed for us in the bay's depths.When I received my unit, the control switch had a crack in it. I called the company and they overnighted a new one right out to me. I really like their courteous, fast sevice. Their prices were really inexpensive compared to just about anyone. I will post all the info I have on it somtime on Saturday. Sorry, I'm just real tied up with a project at work now.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Dennis, what's wrong with the good old ball and ring anchor puller. Lots cheaper and it uses no power.
Steve

·
Registered
66 Posts
also have powerwinch 35 freefall....would not recommend it......you have to hand feed it because anchor not heavy enough to pull chain out of locker.....always getting tangled when retrieving....get a power down ..dont get the powerwinch

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
The model we got was a BREEZE 700H from South Pacific Technologies in Calif. We paid around $325 with shipping and had to buy a new rope with the chain spliced to the rope. I think we paid $125 for 200 ft of 1/2" rope with the chain from Boat US. The windlass is made in Australia and tkes a few uses to break in. I would go withtheir next size up for a Parker though. We would pop our circut breaker now and then during rougher water in the fall striper run when retriving th e anchor. No big deal just push the breaker buuton next to the control switch and she worked like a charm.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all those who replied!!! I'm going to go with a Lowrance- Simpson 900 ,as I've heard all good things about that unit. I'm on my way to Delaware to save that extra 6 percent. As for the coupon , I received it in the mail. I think it's for those who have bought from West Marine and Boat U. S. in the past year. Dennis

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Good luck with the new unit. ;) Next to Sea Tow, It was the best investment ever for our boat.
No more getting wet and cold yanking the old anchor! :mad:
Plus it saves on the Choiropractic bills! :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have the simpson-lawrence Horizon 600 on my boat. It sucks. They have already replaced it two times. simpson-lawrence states that the windlass will not hold the boat. They require that the rope be tied off to a cleat taking the pressure off of the windlass. My windlass will not hold my boat if I do not tie it off. I suggest that you call them about yours. If I must go up to the bow to tie off the rope I might as well do the anchor manually. I do not think the Good windlass has the same drawback.
Also Power boat reports did an article about windlasses within the past year. You might want to check it out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hey Dennis-

Let me know how you make out. Thinking about the same thing myself. Too old to pull the anchor and too lazy to float that ball.
Give me a call.
Jim

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey Dennis, I'm looking also for my 25' Steiger. At the boat show ,they had Horizon 500's on the 26' Steiger and thats twice as heavy as our boats.I don't think thats a free fall, but I'm not sure if we need that, even though I'm sure it's better. I'm going to keep checking around, but if you come up with something,give me an email,and I'll do the same. It's getting close.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can't beat the Good Windlass and the service these guys give. I work on a charter boat and we beat the snot out of the windlass. It takes a lickin and ........ Buy Jersey made.

·
Registered
183 Posts
light house and maxwell make goood ones lewmar are ok.rember thats a lot of weight on the foredeck with the windlass and 300 feet of chain.
later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts