BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is open for your credit card purchases!
Just wanted to let you know.And to say thanks to all of the BASSBARN.com members who put there trust in myself and my company by sending checks and/or money orders-which I'll always accept :D
And to those who have stopped by too!Great to meet you all!
For now it's just the T-HEX metals available,just in time for the fall run!
But soon the Quik-Stik Sandspikes,Striper and Drum rigs and a few other assorted goodies will be added to the on-line store.(they can still be ordered,just not by CC yet!)
Also keep a look out for some new metal designs, and an off-shore line of Tuna T's, tuna sticks,
jet-head smokers,chuggers,wigglers and wobblers etc....
For tuna,wahoo,dolphin,marlin......

Thanks Again for your Support and Patronage
Tight Lines!

Steve

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Chris Gatley:
Steve-

great - let me know when the tuna stuff is available. How did it work with Gamma flouro?
Sure will Chris.
Never heard from the rep :confused:
Thanks Joe!

Steve

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Steve, with the fall run right around the corner, I'm going to stick this one at the top so everyone get's a chance to see it

Those T-Hex metals of yours are sweet. Without a doubt a metal that all of us should have ready for when the opportunity presents itself

I personally can't wait to toss'em at some albies in the near future :D

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I second Rons comments-- They really are sweet looking.
The Albies will be very soon!!!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ron!
On the way today.
Catch 'em up :cool:

Steve

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
everytime TSStriper goes fishing and sees a school of blues bustin he throws on one of those T-hex metals and hooks up on every cast

If you are going to get them get em now, they are going to be the hot item in a month or two

I got mine :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Steve, I saw this in the Asbury Press the other day.. Your right there as a contender to the Classic Surf Lures.. Way To Go !!! Bud..
*By The Way Expect A Order From Me Shortly..Thx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surfin' the classics

Amid all the artificial lures available to surf anglers, 10 stand out, because even after years on the market, they continue to catch fish.

Published in the Asbury Park Press 09/9/05

Surf lures come and go, but a precious few remain and become classics. What lures are these, and why have surfcasters held them in such high regard for so many years?

Classic surf lures are those that continue to catch fish, generation after fishing generation. They have proven themselves over time, in a wide range of situations, and against a variety of species.

Of all the surf lures in the marketplace today, only a select group has achieved elite status. These have earned first-team slots on my All-New Jersey Top 10 Classic Surf Lures list.

My Top 10 selections are a mix of plugs and metal jigs. They all cast well, they all resemble baitfish commonly found in the New Jersey surf, and they all demonstrate great action when retrieved. And they all catch fish!
A plug for plugs

Bomber's Heavy Duty Long A, available in several models, is a minnow-shaped swimmer. The 16A (6 inches, seven-eighths-ounce) and 16J (6 inches, 1-ounce, jointed body) are shallow runners that imitate any type of long, slender baitfish. The 17A (7 inches, 1 1/2-ounces) and 17J (7 inches, 1 3/4-ounces, jointed body) are also shallow runners but have a little longer profile and more weight.

Heavy Duty Long As are available in up to 21 colors. The most popular choices with anglers ? and the fish they pursue ? are the Black (for fishing in complete darkness); Yellow Baby Striper (commonly known as the school bus pattern); Silver Chrome/Black Back, and Silver Flash/Red Head (for low-light conditions); Pearl/Yellow (which anglers refer to as chicken scratch) and Silver Flash/Chartreuse Back (for overcast days and discolored water).

Atom's Striper Swiper is a sinking popper that has been on the market ? and catching fish ? for more than 50 years. It has a long, slender profile that appeals to a wide range of species in addition to its namesake, the striped bass.

The Striper Swiper is available in five sizes and seven colors. With those options, surfcasters can select whichever model best fits the baitfish profile and surf conditions on any given day. Most surfcasters opt for either the 1 1/4 or 2-ounce models; the Silver/White pattern is far-and-away the most popular color selection.

Cotton Cordell's Red Fin is a high-riding and extra-buoyant surface swimmer that produces tantalizing V-wakes on the retrieve. The action of this plug has a reputation of triggering violent strikes from a variety of local species, most especially striped bass.

The Red Fin comes in several models but the 1-ounce version remains the most popular with surfcasters. (The others weigh only five-eighths of an ounce or less, which makes them very difficult to cast even under ideal conditions.) Chrome/Black Back and Smokey Joe are surfcaster favorites of the nine color combinations available.

Gag's Grabbers' Mambo Minnow (7 inches, 1 1/2-ounce) is a large surface swimmer. It casts extremely well and comes in right on the surface with a dancing wiggle when retrieved. Available in more than a dozen color schemes, the Solid Black, Chicken Scratch and Black Back/Silver Side are the most popular choices.

The Mambo Minnow does come in a smaller version (5 inches) but its half-ounce weight is too light to fit most surfcasters' needs. For those who use equipment light enough to handle them, there is also a jointed model available in this downsized version of the plug.

The Striper Strike from Creek Chub has a reputation of delivering the extra-long casts that surfcasters often need in their quest to reach stripers under adverse conditions. This popper does not float and is designed to be retrieved quickly. Though it has "striper" in its name, its appeal is not limited to that species alone.

Creek Chub's classic popper comes in four models, with the 5-inch, 2 1/8-ounce and 4 1/4-inch, 1 1/2-ounce versions the favored choices of surfcasters. Of the eight color choices, the most popular are the Blue Flash, Banana and Metallic.

Metal shows its mettle

The five metal jigs in the Top 10 all have distinguished reputations. Luhr Jensen's Crippled Herring has been one of the most versatile lures for surfcasters over the years. It has an incredibly lifelike body, casts extremely well, and projects the image of a distressed baitfish while being retrieved. This lure works equally well against striped bass, bluefish, and false albacore.

The Crippled Herring comes in 17 sizes and 23 colors. Like most of my associates, I like to use the 1 1/2- and 2-ounce models for my surf fishing. The Chrome, Nickel/Neon Blue Back, and the new Brilliant Silver Hologram/Neon Blue Back are the most popular color choices.

The NO=EQL is the original Hopkins lure. There are not many surf lures that have been around longer than this renowned metal jig. The Shorty model was added sometime later.

These two versions of the Hopkins vary only in their profiles. (The NO=EQL profile resembles that of mullet or herring-type baitfish; the Shorty profile is similar to that of a peanut bunker or shad-type baitfish, and much more compact.) Both have identical stainless steel bodies and cast exceptionally well. Their hammered finishes and concave reflective surfaces at each end create the illusion of fish scales as the lures are worked through the surf.

Both Hopkins lures come in seven models with a wide choice of hook options. The 1 1/4- and 2-ounce models are the ones I see surfcasters using most frequently.

Like many of the other lures in the Top 10, Acme's Kastmaster has been used in the surf for more than 50 years. Machined from solid brass, this lure won't break, bend, or corrode ? and it retains its luster even after repeated exposure to sand and saltwater. With its aerodynamic shape, it is a master distance caster and it provides wild action on the retrieve without line twist.

The Kastmaster comes in 11 sizes with a variety of hook options ? plain treble, single bucktail hook, and tube tail. With 27 colors and finishes to choose from, the plain chrome version still outperforms all the rest.

Luhr Jensen's Krocodile has long been a great surf producer, but in recent years it has become even more popular because of its uncanny resemblance to the peanut bunkers that are so common during our fall migratory run. The curved surface of this true spoon translates into a distinctive wobbling action when retrieved.

The Krocodile comes in 15 different weights and 56 color combinations. (The straight chrome version still outperforms lots of new, flashy color schemes.) One unique feature of this lure is that the 3 1/4-inch length of one of the spoon's templates comes in three-quarter-, 1-, 1 1/2- and 2 1/2-ounce versions. Simply put, the four weight choices with the same size profile are made possible by making the lure fatter ? not bigger.

With small bait like bay anchovies and spearing found in such great numbers in the New Jersey surf, is it any wonder that the incredible diamond jig continues to enjoy great success? While most diamond jigs are designed for vertical jigging from boats, the lighter models adapt themselves well to horizontal jigging from the beach.

Lures do not get much simpler than the diamond jig. I have found that the A17 (1 3/4 ounces) is ideal for my needs. Except for adding a set of eyes and switching from a single to a treble hook, no other alterations are needed. This slightly modified lure has landed every species of fish that I normally encounter every year in the surf.

New contenders?

There are some promising newcomers on the market today so let me give you a glimpse into 10 surf lures that I think have the best chance of attaining classic status in the years ahead. Many have features (such as more lifelike finishes and internal weighting systems designed for making extra-long casts) the classic lures do not.

The relatively new plugs that are distinguishing themselves the most include the Bomber A-Salt, Luhr Jensen's Javelin Shallow Runner, Mann's Super Stretch 1-Minus, Creek Chub's Knuckle-Head and Stillwater Lures' Smack-It. All have internal rattles that telegraph their presence to game fish. Even though they have not yet attained classic status, they continue to impress surfcasters.

With its A-Salt swimmer, Bomber has actually improved on its Heavy Duty Long A. It is a tad heavier at one ounce, casts farther, features a tougher body and stronger hardware, and comes in holographic as well as conventional finishes.

Luhr Jensen's Javelin Shallow Runner is a great top-water performer. This lure is particularly deadly against striped bass late in the season when slow retrieves in cold water are the ticket to strikes.

Although Mann's is better known for its deepwater trolling plugs, the company also markets a great surf swimming plug: the Super Stretch 1-Minus. This swimmer runs on the surface or just below depending on how fast you retrieve it.

Creek Chub's Knuckle-Head is a floating popper that allows for slower retrieves and sports a very lifelike appearance. Its front-jointed body adds a unique rolling, wobbling action and a loud chatter while the scoop-style mouth "spits" water. This plug is effective both as a popper and a swimming plug.

Stillwater Lures' Smack-It is a floating popper with a variety of features that add to its sight-and-sound allure. A smaller Smack-It Jr. is a great option when you need to downsize your lures to match smaller baitfish.

There are a number of metal jig entries that are also causing a stir in surfcaster ranks. These include Gibbs/Nortac's Minnow, O.B. Fish Company's Brandy's Minnow, Mann's Mann-O-Lure, A.O.K. Tackle's T-Hex, and Point Jude Lures' Po-Jee.

The Gibbs Minnow is the gold standard against which all other surf albacore lures are measured. However, this superior casting jig will catch almost anything found along our coastline today.

The Brandy's Minnow is similar in shape to the Gibbs Minnow but comes only in a chrome finish, which is extremely durable. A superb false albacore lure, this jig appeals to a variety of other game fish.

The Mann-O-Lure works like a diamond jig but has defined features and a hammered finish that actually makes it a more attractive lure. This lure is invaluable during the fall migratory run against false albacore, bluefish and even striped bass.

A.O.K. Tackle's T-Hex is made from marine-grade brass and plated with a durable nickel/chrome finish. This six-sided jig casts a country mile and appeals to a wide range of predators.

The Po-Jee jig from Point Jude Lures is modeled after a tin lure prototype. This lure shows why the old tins were so highly regarded years ago.

My Top 10 Classic Surf Lure selections deserve their elite status. Their appeal is universal; their effectiveness unquestioned.

When stocking your surf bag, pick a comfortable mix of classic lures and promising newcomers. Both have their share of all-star performers.

[ 09-12-2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Way to go Steve!!!
They are nice. Real nice.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow!
Thanks guys.
The response has been, well....
overwhelming to say the least :D
I saw that article Strikes.The author,Allen Riley
sent me a copy and a nice personal letter.
Back to making metals!!

Steve

·
Registered
385 Posts
Steve
Tried a quick phone call the other day (fri) - no answer - you were probably landing blues in the park. I'm in the L-town area and was hoping to grab a few for the next day. No big deal, just bought only 1 hopkins to get me through - I want to grab all 3 of your t-hexs. Do you mind people picking up an order?? If not shipping is fine. Way to go on the PR coverage and what seems to be a great lure - can't wait to throw them.

Strikes - I'll be printing out your post - lot's of good info for a newbie. Thanks

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry I missed your call Red.Should have left a message.
I wish I was bailing blues that day but....

Yes,give a call and stop on by!

Steve

[ 09-26-2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Sudsrat ]

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Steve, trying to post a pic of your sign..... :mad: :mad:

[ 09-27-2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: ReadyJettyGo ]

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
:mad: :mad: