BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have certain rigs I use all the time for fluke. I made the mistake of showing a buddy who said he wouldn't tell anybody---well, the cat got out of the bag and now a guy is trying to sell them commercially, that sucks, but the guy that's selling them doens't have it quite right yet, hope he never does----the moral of the story---- a secret is only a secret when nobody else knows!!!!!

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Playing devil's advocate:

Did you come up with that rig all by yourself, without any help whatsoever through your years of fluking? Could perhaps the guy selling them commercially have done the same thing on his own time as well? The variety of fluke rigs isn't an endless pit, so it could just so happen that he came up with a similar idea to yours.

I could compare it to fly tying, as the convergent evolution of fly patterns is similar, but you probably don't want to hear about that... ;)

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Fly Ty R:
Playing devil's advocate:

Did you come up with that rig all by yourself, without any help whatsoever through your years of fluking? Could perhaps the guy selling them commercially have done the same thing on his own time as well? The variety of fluke rigs isn't an endless pit, so it could just so happen that he came up with a similar idea to yours.

I could compare it to fly tying, as the convergent evolution of fly patterns is similar, but you probably don't want to hear about that... ;)
My rigs are pretty unique, you have to order special parts and they aren't easy to get, no, there is no coincedence here, the parts are exactly the same as mine but he doesn't arrange them right(IMO), and it was not very long after I let my buddy in on it. My buddy said he "kinda told another guy"---not sure what "kinda" means, but when we went to one of the fishing flea markets, the one guy from our area is the one that was selling them, don't get me wrong, the guy selling them didn't do anything, my buddy did, but, again, if I would have kept my big mouth shut, this wouldn't have happened :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
not trying to get you mad, but one, it's just a rig. two, you seem to know the rule about secrets and you still told your buddy. if you didn't want anyone to use it, why tell somebody? if you wanted to sell it, you should have have done like ti guys said. some of this countries finest inventions and technology were stolen. it's not a new concept. i for one like to help people with technique when i can. i have also learned alot from other people sharing rigs. i tie my own stuff so if i saw your rig in the store and just liked it, i would tie it myself. not to sell mind you. giving out spots is one thing, rig info, well imo it should be shared.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Originally posted by CaptG:
kinda like giving charter capts your spots.
wow that one works both ways !!
I feel your pain !!\
This is not personally directed to you G-man just in general

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I have never bought a fluke rig. My uncle taught use how to make them 30 years ago. I have changed it so many times you would not know what it started out as.
Walking along the beach I found a peice of a rig on the beach. As a joke I put it on my dads rod. we laughed and he said he would try it. He out fished me bad. I now order the piece on line because I cant find them locally to make rigs. Have been making them for years. I now see that the rig I have made and modified all the years is a standard fluke rig sold around here. I have never seen one but they are the same even to leader length. Go figure.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by fishpole5:
I have certain rigs I use all the time for fluke. I made the mistake of showing a buddy who said he wouldn't tell anybody---well, the cat got out of the bag and now a guy is trying to sell them commercially, that sucks, but the guy that's selling them doens't have it quite right yet, hope he never does----the moral of the story---- a secret is only a secret when nobody else knows!!!!!
\

an expert like you should win the duke of fluke easily.

·
Registered
517 Posts
hey fishpole, they r killer rigs. it kills me when i go 10 to 20 miles out only to return to the dock to see u sippin a frosty with your 8lb. back bay flatties. by the way i heard Capt. Art is back from Fla. when r you going to splash.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
If you don't plan to make a profit just move on.
Leason learned.
The majority of people in cape may county really didn't fish with or for spot until me and my dad started practicing it in the cape may rips just like we did in Barnegat light. Everyone loved using eels in cape may. Now... in the fall everyone realizes just how valuable spot are and how much bass prefer them over eels. We used to come back to the gas dock people would ask if we caught and we would say 30 or 35 fish and no one else caught anything. Word gets around indercrtly about what was used and bam its common practice. Now you can dump those rigs and use spot before everyone else catches on
;) ;) ;)

[ 03-09-2006, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: insomniac ]

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Originally posted by fishpole5:
a secret is only a secret when nobody else knows!!!!!
So True!!!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If you show me yours I'll show you mine. :D Fluke rig that is. :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, I'm not into making rigs to sell, hell, I get tired of making them for myself, I take my buddy fishing all the time, he was getting disgusted when I outfished him all the time. So I made him a couple of rigs and showed him how, he's been doing pretty good ever since(except for last year, he went back to his old ways). I'm no super fisherman, I only got lucky with something that really works. I'd love to win the "Duke", but I have never even entered, was going to last year but a couple of buddies backed out. I just wish they had a catagory for fishing the back, because if you see who wins every year, those guys are good and they are pro's, but they fish offshore, I also fish there, but my rigs don't work all that well in deeper water. I have caught fish out there(some big) but not on the regular bases as those guys do.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by indeep:
hey fishpole, they r killer rigs. it kills me when i go 10 to 20 miles out only to return to the dock to see u sippin a frosty with your 8lb. back bay flatties. by the way i heard Capt. Art is back from Fla. when r you going to splash.
Gettin the fever now, I'll probably have the little boat ready in about a week or so, but won't put in until after Easter---the big boat----I having work done on the transom and I'm doing some plumbing and work on the inside, also outriggers, rod holders, props getting redone--hell, I hope I'm in by Memorial Day(it better not be that late). Haven't heard from Art or Eddy yet, now there's a couple of GREAT flounder guys!!!

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by ratttle trap:
Fishpole5 you should just let us all in the the big secret now that the cat is out of the bag.
Hell, it ain't much of a secret, when I come back from flukin all day the first thing I want is a cold one, so, my rigs are on my rods sitting in the rod holders, it's not like I keep them locked up, and like Indeep said, I have made them up sitting at the table with the Mill Creek boys drinking beer, there's no hiding them there
but it's like a marina thing(most of us are back bayer's) we kind of like to have a little advantage if we can get one

[ 03-10-2006, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: fishpole5 ]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.