BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just thought it would be worth sharing a bad experience I had the other night. I was out rock hopping and wound up hurting my knee pretty bad.

Here is the scenario: I was fishing a jetty that I have fished at least 50 times before. Bottom line I know this jetty well, and in the end that contributed to my mis-hap - I simply got complacent. This is not a story about fishing without korkers, or going out on a jetty in bad conditions. I never do either. Net, I always strive to be safe. However, let your guard down for an instant and that can turn out to be a big mistake.

Story: I was fishing the last of the incoming tide on Monday night (Tues AM). Had a couple small bass for my efforts. My Tica reel breaks (only the 3rd use by the way - but guess that is another story) It was probably time to make a move anyway, so this just made the decision to head back to the truck an easier one. As I was walking in - probably about 15 yards from where the jetty meets the beach - I took a nasty fall. Bottom line is I was not paying attention! Subconsiously I think I must have felt I had reached the part of the jetty that was flat and had no gaps. (remember I've fished this jetty many, many times). Perhaps I was examining my broken reel? Regardless, I was definitely not looking down, and stepped right off into a gap in the rocks, and my left knee slammed down hard.

After a couple minutes of nasty pain (and nearly puking), thankfully I was able to collect myself and make it back to the truck. I dressed a cut on my leg, and made it to WaWa for some ice. My drive back to West Chester was long and painful. I went to the ER Tuesday AM. Good news, no break. However, my knee has since blown up to twice the size of my right knee. I have an appointment with the Orthopedic Dr. this afternoon. I'm really hoping it is just a severe bruise and nothing with ligaments, etc. I guess I'll find out soon.

I'm sharing this story because it really got me thinking. If I can do this, trust me anyone can. I believe sometimes when we are in familiar surroundings we can tend to let our guard down. That is what I did, and in a split second I paid the price. Stupid yes - but I did it. I can promise you that it will never happen again. I will be extra vigilant about my surroundings at all times in the future.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Andy,

Thanks for sharing this unfortunate mishap...
And reminding everyone of how dangerous it can be out there...
I hope that the Doctor gives you good news and
you get back out on them rocks again soon..

Take Care Buddy,,,

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I here you on that one.
A few times I've caught myself walking a little too fast for conditions. The fish will always be there. Theres no reason to rush.
Good Luck on your knee. Mine hurts just thinking about it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sorry to hear the story, but I've been there myself. I've taken a couple of nasty falls at night on the rocks, but luckily I was not injured to the extent that you were. (probably the fact I was in my teens at the time helped)I should have had stitches a few times, but at that age duct tape and superglue work just fine.

Good luck at the doctor and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
origianlly posted by LongDrive

After a couple minutes of nasty pain (and nearly puking),
I've felt that pain a few times in my life- nearly puking, white as a ghost, the shakes... One thing you can be assured of- you weren't the first to fall on a jetty and you won't be the last...

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
With pain like that I am guessing maybe a torn ACL or MCL I hope I am wrong but i remember I tore my MCL and ACL skiing and Thats what happened to me, Felt like puking, white as a ghost. I sat on the side of the hill for a little while then hit the bar had a few and back out skiing for the rest of the day (mostly on one foot). What a dumb a$$ I probablly only had one of the tendons torn until I decieded I would finish the day skiing.

Hopefully your just badly bruised or sprained.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by MargaritaVille:
Hope all works out well and thanks for the warning.

BTW, I am not much of a surf guy, so fill me in, what are corkers?
Metal Spiked Over Soles To Keep Your Grip On The Slippery Wet Rocks...

[ 06-15-2005, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
I agree with you Longdrive. You can let your guard down when you are in familiar surroundings. About 5 years ago, I had a "canoe incident" off of my dock in Sea Isle which involved an AC helicopter. But that is another story.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
nightstrikes,
Thanks for the pic.

As soon as I figure out where to store my anchor, I will go surf fishing. :D

Longdrive,
Hopefully Bottom Boouncer is wrong and it is just a bad bruise

·
Registered
789 Posts
Longdrive,

I hope everything turns out OK for you. Stories like this are an excellent reminder to everyone that things can and will happen if you let your guard down even for a second. I norrowly avoided serious injury in a similar incident because I was wearing a back pack with some extra clothing. I am pretty sure that I'd have had broken ribs if it were not for the pack.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys, thanks for the response and the well wishes. I learned that most of the swelling is due to infection. The Dr. put me on heavy antibiotic and anti-inflamatory. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the antibiotics will kick in quickly. Dr. said I may have to get admitted for IV antibiotics if my knee doesn't show improvement by Friday afternoon. Also, don't know yet if there could be ligament issues (I'm still hoping no). Dr. can't really assess that until we get the swelling/infection under control.

Basically I'm just taking it easy over the next couple days. Remember to stay alert and stay safe.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That sucks I fell on the jetty about 5 years ago. Slammed my shin right into a rock in the crevice. I sat there for 15 minutes on the rock. I feel for you when you said you were going to puke it hurt so bad. I have definitely been there. I scare myself when I think I am stepping into a crack but it is the rock and it is the shadow from my flashlite. I seen all sort of people out there with no cleats and falling so. I just tell the story of deciding to stand up and see if I have a compound fracture or not. $50 worth of rubber and metal cleats is well worth it. Some people don't get it until they end up on their butts. Good luck, hard lesson but you will back there sooner then you think.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My uncle cut his leg open on barnacles on the jetty when he slipped several years ago. Treated the wound himself for a few days then decided to go to doctor. Doctor said three or four more days amputation would have been needed. The bacteria expanded so quickly...it was consuming his leg. Should have gone to docotr hwne it happened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Andy,

Hope you feel better soon.

Can't say I know that pain, but last summer I was out on a jetty being extremely cautious because I was using Eric's stuff (www.neverstopfishing.com). Went to walk around a puddle (because I new the wet feet would make me fall) and plop! I fell wrists firsts scraped up the hands and knees. Although that didn't hurt, realizing I broke one of Eric's 1800 reels hurt bad! Needless to say, I didn't fish the rest of the night because I felt so terrible.

That was a year ago and SOMEONE still won't let it go. . .

::shakes head and giggles:: Oops!

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Originally posted by JPHooks:
So that's how you came up with "BottomBouncer" J/K I feel your pain.
I guess I can add that to the list of why my name is BottomBouncer ;) :D

Longdrive,
Hopefully those antibiatics kick the chit out of that infection the swelling goes down and your no worse for wear! Wishing you the best in your recovery.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Andy,

Hope everything turns out OK. After I read your post, started thinking of all the goofs I had made over the years (only my wife knows the number of time I visited the ER). Ahhh the memories!!! Anyway, rest up, it going to be a great summer and fall.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Andy, another best wishes for an excellent outcome
..stuff happens..
Trying to remember...Oct82 or so...long ago. Good buddy wants to take advantage of a NE blow on the S jetty. OK.
Pitch black & gusting rain as we are clicking twds the tip. About 1/2 way there when Ray spots what appears to be something washed up on the rocks. Get closer & here is a guy up to his shoulders with his arms looped over his rod to keep from going deeper into the boulders! No works spoken until this man says "could ya get thoes lights out of my eyes & lend a hand here"? Turns out, while fighting a cow bass, had a rogue wave slide him into a crevis. Left foot had become wedged & wader belt had given weigh. Breaking waves & rain had filled his waders. Could not reliece/cut away waders as to holding onto rod so as not to go deeper into jetty. Had to use bamboo gaf to reach each leg area of waders & rip through to reliece weight. Popped right up after that
. Guess the extra sinking had loosened his foot in some way or another. Now get this....the man sits there for what seemed a few seconds or so, manuvers an anchle, then gutts his waiders just above the boots & then pulls out his wallet. Shoves some $270 of wet bills in my hand & says "I'd like to buy one of your lights for the walk in". Done! Over his shoulder he said "Their hot on the black bommers tonight; in close"....as he clicked away, into the darkness. Ray & I watched him go till we could no longer see his light, then we fished the "blacks".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.