BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are at least three in the area that i can see that are abandoned in he back bay. There is one behind ventnor anchored and covered in clam shells and poop. What the deal with this? It can't be allowed can it?

·
Banned
964 Posts
There's 2 sailboats down in Cape May Harbor.. Been sunk over a year...

[ 05-04-2006, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: ShoeB ]

1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the one i paddled up to today still had a registration number along its side.

·
Registered
690 Posts
How can someone invest time and money and then jsut abandon a boat like that? I saw one up in seaside heights that sat moored in the water and after awhile eventually went under. some one drug it out and it is sitting in the parking lot by the ramp. looks like a 21 foot cuddy I/O.

1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the one i saw today looks likeit was a helluva boat in her day. I wonder if it would be wrong of me to drag it out and take it home and sell the sucker on eBay. lol...

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
I work for a towing and salvage company out of Cape May(hint: not seatow ;) ). Most of them break loose from the morrings or docks. If there insurance doesnt cover salvages, no one is paying us to remove them. Its a shame there out there, but why should we waste our gas, time, and wear on the boat if were not getting paid :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Originally posted by OVER THE RAIL:
Can't you claim them, like pirate treasure? Would they be worth it, in shallow water?
Yeah, we can, but most of the time there not worth much. If they are worth alot, the owner would hire us or someone to get it back.

·
Banned
964 Posts
[ 05-04-2006, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: ShoeB ]

1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm tempted to climb aboard and get a closer look. I can;t imagine there not bbeing a law that mandates that the boats must be removed by the owner under any circumtances. i'm suprised the DEP isn't more involved in this issue. We can't just park our cars and leave it on the side of a highway right?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
There is a long process that you have to go through to "legally" claim the vessels...unless the owner "gives" it to you after he/she is pressured by the ACoE to get it removed as a derelict.

Here's the Admiralty Law pointing in that direction...

"As a general principle, an admiralty
court will favor salvage law over the law
of finds because salvage law is more supportive
of the public policy issues of preservation
of maritime property and return of
distressed property to a use beneficial to
society. As a result, the law of finds applies
in only two situations: ?(1) where the
owners have expressly and publicly abandoned
their property; and (2) where items
are recovered from an ancient shipwreck
and no one comes forward to claim
them.?15

So if the "owner" even remotely suggests that the boat is not abandoned or does not report it "abandoned" to at least the authorities for what I've heard...maybe at least a year if not more...then going aboard and taking items would be considered theft or private property.....

For it not to be the "law of finds"....you would have to be on scene as the accident is ongoing...not on scene after it is sunk.

Case in point...if a boat is sinking at the dock and a towing company has a chance of keeping it from doing any damage to the electrical system or engine....they may elect to keep it from going under and collecting salvage fees....but if they arrive on scene after it has already sunk....then they contact the owner and ask if the owner is willing to pay "salvage"...or at least the insurance company....otherwise you stand the risk of being sued for touching someone else's property...and almost certainly NOT recovering damages because you were not "in any peril" for the operation and you are not "preventing further damage" (to a point...at some point you may be able to make a case about further damage...but usually not in a couple of days unless it is in an exposed location)...

Hope this helps....if you have any questions about salvage here's a link to get started...
http://www.seatow.com/boatingsafety/salvageoperations.htm

[ 05-03-2006, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Capt. Scott ]

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
NORTH BOUND FROM THE RIO BRIDGE JUST OFF THE COMMERICAL DOCK THAT WAS SOLD ABOUT A 1/2 MILE FROM THE BRIDGE.IT'S AGROUND A LITTLE EVEN AT HIGH TIDE NOT FAR OFF THE CHANNEL,AT ANCHOR AND I SAW NO LIGHTS OF ANY KIND.I WOULD THINK THAT IS ILLEGAL?

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
NORTH BOUND FROM THE RIO BRIDGE JUST OFF THE COMMERICAL DOCK THAT WAS SOLD ABOUT A 1/2 MILE FROM THE BRIDGE.IT'S AGROUND A LITTLE EVEN AT HIGH TIDE NOT FAR OFF THE CHANNEL,AT ANCHOR AND I SAW NO LIGHTS OF ANY KIND.I WOULD THINK THAT IS ILLEGAL?
I know what your talking about. I passed it last weekend. It sits on its side at low tide. It must be illegal with no lights.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
THAT'S THE ONE,ON A VERY HIGH TIDE IT SHIFTED AND THEY PUT ANOTHER ANCHOR I THINK. IT'S BEEN THERE CLOSE TO A MONTH.
That boat was always docked there along with the "two brothers". The two brothers boat is back in ottens canal now.

1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i still can;t belive that the DEP doesn't take action on the deserters of these crafts. What if they have a hunderd gallons of fuel slowly leaking into the bay?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts