BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About the Daiwa Tanacom Bull 750 or 1000 I'm interested in deep drop fishing. I'm going to be searching out Tilefish locations. I was considering buying a Tanacom Bull 750 or 1000 but heard from a few people that the Daiwa repair center will not repair any electric reels that come from Japan. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I just purchased a Kristal XL621 because I heard that they are super reels, albeit very expensive. I managed to buy the slightly used, in very good condition, for $840. I'm still looking for a second reel.

Also, is the swivel tip necessary? I've rigged two of my Penn International 11, 50lb to 100lb, offshore rods all with aftco guides but I'm reluctant to change the aftco roller tip to a swivel tip. What do you think about that?

Sundancejoel

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Sundance Joel

many reel companies do not repair reels from oversees and Daiwa is among them.

That said, a Daiwa Tanacom Bull purchased through a US dealer (or Saltiga H series spin reel and the Steez) will get a one complete business day turn around in service. It may take 5 days to ship back to Daiwa but it will be out the door in one complete business day.

I will have the 500 & 750 on display at shows this spring. My 1000 is currently enroute to Florida. I may or may not have it back in time for Suffern and Somerset.

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
As to swivel tip, absolutely want one.

As to Kristal 621 and Daiwa 1000, used both with success.

I like the Daiwa's as they are a lot smaller and compact and a little safer on the fingers in my mind. My suggestion is to shop around for a U.S. retailer and then go to your local West Marine (or I heard BassPro is finally coming to N.J.) and they will price match. I know where to buy the Daiwa for $899 in the U.S......if interested in location, shoot me a PM as the forum nazi's have been chasing me down as a result of posting non-sponsor websites.....

Good luck with the goldens....

Tight Lines,

Frank

About the Daiwa Tanacom Bull 750 or 1000 I'm interested in deep drop fishing. I'm going to be searching out Tilefish locations. I was considering buying a Tanacom Bull 750 or 1000 but heard from a few people that the Daiwa repair center will not repair any electric reels that come from Japan. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I just purchased a Kristal XL621 because I heard that they are super reels, albeit very expensive. I managed to buy the slightly used, in very good condition, for $840. I'm still looking for a second reel.

Also, is the swivel tip necessary? I've rigged two of my Penn International 11, 50lb to 100lb, offshore rods all with aftco guides but I'm reluctant to change the aftco roller tip to a swivel tip. What do you think about that?

Sundancejoel

·
Registered
993 Posts
Sundance, have me onboard while you're looking and I can be your reel dumby:D

With a little encouragement I can beat the electric reel.

I also have an older style electric i've never used that i can share :eek:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
As to swivel tip, absolutely want one.

As to Kristal 621 and Daiwa 1000, used both with success.

I like the Daiwa's as they are a lot smaller and compact and a little safer on the fingers in my mind. My suggestion is to shop around for a U.S. retailer and then go to your local West Marine (or I heard BassPro is finally coming to N.J.) and they will price match. I know where to buy the Daiwa for $899 in the U.S......if interested in location, shoot me a PM as the forum nazi's have been chasing me down as a result of posting non-sponsor websites.....

Good luck with the goldens....

Tight Lines,

Frank
Although I respect everyone's choices and opinions almost no matter what, this I can't support, sorry Gladiator. But, Support West Marine?

What about the number of sponsors/shop owners on this site, the ones fighting it tooth and nail everyday to stay in business and the ones that understand how to rig, outfit and balance a Tanacom Bull on a tilefish rod?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Sundancejoel
Sundance,

I have Daiwa Tanacom Bull S600W from Japan that I had to have serviced this year. I found a DAIWA official warranty center for electric reels in Miami, Florida.

The line counter had taken a cr*p and a replacement computer was no longer available for it.:( However, they serviced the reel, replaced the drag washers and were extremely quick & reasonably priced.:bow: Mechanically, it works like a charm (only without the line counter feature).:) Do a search for Reel & Rod Services. Good luck

Joe

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Chris,

I appreciate your point of view, unfortunately for the small tackle shop owners, the internet has taken its toll, whether talking fishing tackle or otherwise. On the other side of the fence are the big box stores, like the one's I referred to in my thread.

I have no intention of hurting the small shop, however during these tough economic times, if I can assist a fellow barn member with a discount on a piece of tackle, then I think that is a good thing.

For the record, most shop owners on this site are not feeding their family by way of selling either the Kristal or the Daiwa 1000. Most, if you have been paying attention, are moving toward more customized offerings such as jigging / popping rods, locally made products with great customer service (go canyon reels!), and are fully leveraging the internet to bring their customers great deals.

Its 4:00AM and time to put the LP1200 to use on the day time sword grounds ;)

I apologize for your confusion.

Tight lines,

Frank

Although I respect everyone's choices and opinions almost no matter what, this I can't support, sorry Gladiator. But, Support West Marine?

What about the number of sponsors/shop owners on this site, the ones fighting it tooth and nail everyday to stay in business and the ones that understand how to rig, outfit and balance a Tanacom Bull on a tilefish rod?

·
Registered
300 Posts
For deep dropping Tiles I would go with the 1000 over the 750. If you can swing the extra $200, get the Seaborg MT1000. The low gear has tons of torque that doesn't strain the motor on big fish. The high gear retrieves at 650' p/m! (Both gears are of course variable speed) I bought the Seaborg MT1000 for $1050. They're great reels and small/light enough that you can either hold the rod, or leave it in the holder. I loaded it up with about 2800' of 100lb. PP. Off Key West we do most of our DD in 900' of water. Tons of fun!
p.s. my friends I fish with have 3 Tanacom Bull 1000's, The Seaborg MT makes a big difference. It's worth the extra $$
Good Luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe3301

Joe3301

Do you have any contact info for the Daiwa Repair Center that you used to repair your Electric Reel from Japan?

Sundancejoel

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
We have been using the Kristal XL75s for a few years and find them to be both effective and super simple to take care of. Lots of pulling power and about 300 ft a minute.

Oh yeah, you can buy two or three of them for the price of one of their other reels....

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
For deep dropping Tiles I would go with the 1000 over the 750. If you can swing the extra $200, get the Seaborg MT1000. The low gear has tons of torque that doesn't strain the motor on big fish. The high gear retrieves at 650' p/m! (Both gears are of course variable speed) I bought the Seaborg MT1000 for $1050. They're great reels and small/light enough that you can either hold the rod, or leave it in the holder. I loaded it up with about 2800' of 100lb. PP. Off Key West we do most of our DD in 900' of water. Tons of fun!
p.s. my friends I fish with have 3 Tanacom Bull 1000's, The Seaborg MT makes a big difference. It's worth the extra $$
Good Luck!
Fuel prices has made $200 decisions a lot easier. $200 only gets you about halfway out to the grounds, so its worth spending money on the reel if nescesssary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts