BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a real nice day to be on the water yesterday and I think every boater in South Jersey had the same idea with today's nasty forecast. There were tons of boats and tons of grass, and we prob caught 20 - 25 flounder, all throwbacks and a couple just under the line and some small snapper blues, skates and sea robbins.

Hit all the usual spots but couldn't come up with any keepers. My brother and uncle were on 2 other boats and they were able to manage 4 keepers a piece.

Still had a good time and its always nice to spend the day on the water.

I wonder with the warm water temps I was reading (73 to 76 degrees) - are the fish on the move out front or is it just a lull with the boat traffic and GRASS??

Tight lines and how'd everybody else make out??

·
Registered
312 Posts
had maiden voyage yesterday on Luna-Sea
went out into the great bay arrived late, near end of incoming tide, 1 keeper 1 throw back, and a way small sea bass around the 132, 139 did notta, around stink house did notta, guess had fast drift. what is considered to fast?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you had a good maiden voyage, whats to fast of a drift? Thats a good question, and I guess it depends if you are fishing in the back or the ocean, but I'd say if you are driting too faqst try either a drift sock or a

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops - my slip..

as I was saying try a drift sock or tie off a 5 gallon bucket off a cleat that should slow ya down a bit. I know the boats that do well out front will use whatever amt of lead needed to hold bottom so the fish still have too feed in fast currents, may be just harder to catch em when you are cruising :D

Good luck with the Luna-Sea.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Luna Sea - sometimes its nice not being in a 40 Viking if ya know what I mean - don't even joke about a leaking boat....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey fellas, Took off Friday and went out of Absecon. (Meadow cut to Harrah's). Lots of grass and no keepers. Bunch of throwbacks and lost a couple of keepers along the way but just could not get it done. I had good reports earlier in the week too. Oh well..

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Xpress - that's generally the same area I fished and had similar results. I did hear there were some decent reports as well but couldn't come up with any keepers. Next time out I'm going to do a little exploring and try some new areas off the beaten path, its just tough to leave areas that have produced for me in the past. I hear the outfront bite is improving so maybe the weather will be good to us and give us a shot at some deep water flounder.......

·
Registered
312 Posts
hit in front of harrahs today after work on buddys boat, 3 of us, couple dozen flatties with 8 keepers, and some nice sea robins.

·
Registered
174 Posts
LS - 8 keepers after work. You're doing something right... DP, I thought maybe I'll head up to the other end of the GB this week and give her a shot there... Out front should break open sooner or later. If you ever need a $ splitter let me know. If you have a wreck worthy rig I have one built for the ICW...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Luna-Sea - way to go. I hit that area on Sat near the drop-off near the yellow marker and had a couple undersized but nothing to speak of. then again it was almost the last of the outgoing tide, so I'll try it next time out. You are lucky to be able to hit it after work ;) & ya can't complain about 8 keepers.

Xpress - let us know how you do up in GB - not a bad ride or tow from Absecon so may be worth a shot. I have a 21 ft dual console with a 175 Johnson so I hope to make it out to the reef on a decent day. I'll keep you in mind but I usually always have a full crew with my brothers and uncles all being fisherman, I will keep you in mind though. I wish I had a smaller boat while fishing in the back, makes working the edges a lot easier in a smaller boat.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Luna-Sea - I always try & hit those areas cause they have produced in the past for me as well, but I always seem to wait until I exhaust all of my other favorites in the back along the ICW - sounds like its time to mix it up a bit. I got the pass to make a trip on Sat so will give it a shot.

My uncle nailed a nice fat 20 lb striper last July as he was retrieving his flounder rig near one of the bridge pilings. Thought he had a big ray until it surfaced and saw the silver flash :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by DEEP POCKETS:
My uncle nailed a nice fat 20 lb striper last July as he was retrieving his flounder rig near one of the bridge pilings. Thought he had a big ray until it surfaced and saw the silver flash :D [/QB]
I forgot all about that......NOT. Everytime I go past that spot I flashback to that moment. Come to think of it I flash back alot. My daughter was on the boat with me that day and I quess I must have said "HOLY SH-T about 9 or 10 times before she turned to me and said "will you stop saying that!"

John...I know we sort of gave each other our login names after many hours of ball breaking and you save me alot of typing but maybe you should think about changing your name to LONG JOHN WINDED.

HIGHTIDE

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Luna-Sea, appreciate it. Hope to see you there on Sat. I'll have my father and grandfather on board so hope they are still there. I'll be in a 21ft striper - say hi if you see me.

HIGHTIDE - many good times on the water with you and Mandy - I wish she would go with me more often cause we always seem to do well when shes on the boat :D I've thought about changing to Lynchmob but you may have something there....

·
Registered
312 Posts
gonna hit lei, stink house and grassy channel first thing, if nothing produces, i'll have to take the ride over,,,,,save a couple for me will ya

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey fellas. Fished Sat/24th despite forcast. I actually had very favorable condition and hit every place I could think of in GB from 139 to inlet and everywhere in between. Fished for over 6 hours and again could only manage a dozen or so shorts. For what it's worth, all fish came on minnow and gold hook. Took herring and squid for a ride. I give up. I am going for White perch in morning. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
312 Posts
how'd it go over there DP? weather wasnt promising enough to journey that far. i'm with Xpress, 'cept i didnt even get any tbf's. new to this game, dont know any spots, but what i stumble across. thinking of trying for the weakies tomorrow at the mull.

[ 07-24-2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Luna-Sea ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts