BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my boat out for the first time this month getting ready to hit the last of the incoming and top of the outgoing. The wind was howling and the drift sock did slow us down somewhat. My buddy was hammering the short flounder with a bucktail/swimming mullet (John Skinner special). I was getting attacked by baby sea bass with a bucktail/live minnow combo. Found dinner on the bucktail right before high tide @ 20.5 inches. Definitely not the best fish this season, but no complaints from the back bays this late in the season.
FullSizeRender.jpg

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Same for me yesterday and today, same area as you. One keeper for both days and lots of shorts, 3 hours Mon and Tues. The sea bass were quite a nuisance.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EasyReader: The sea bass were on my bait like toothless piranha. Still way easier to dehook than skate or dogfish

Retainer: I have been out on a buddy's boat this month as well. Truth be told, I dropped a skillet of cooking oil on my foot July 30th, and got 3rd degree burns. Since then I've just been waiting until I'm cleared by the doctor to expose my foot to the outdoors. How have you been doing this summer? As far as flounder, I really didn't start catching until I started going to Absecon or Wildwood. OC & Somers Point were slow, plagued by weeds, and overcrowded.

·
Registered
13,956 Posts
Ouch. Hope you healed up ok. I have done ok. Nothing crazy. I did catch a tie for my biggest flounder at 25" a few weeks ago. I have also lost a few big ones. My solo netting skills have substantially improved. Come September I will switch it up and start for some bass. Stay in touch, we will make another trip like before.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds great to me! And yes, netting a fish alone is very risky. Hopefully this fall is as mild as last year.

Ouch. Hope you healed up ok. I have done ok. Nothing crazy. I did catch a tie for my biggest flounder at 25" a few weeks ago. I have also lost a few big ones. My solo netting skills have substantially improved. Come September I will switch it up and start for some bass. Stay in touch, we will make another trip like before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts