BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tooling up for the upcoming season and wanted to get some opinions on the 6600 and what people would spool on it?
I am getting 2 for the kayak, mainly for flounder, but a trip to the keys for grouper (Apr) and of course stripers... I was thinking 20 or 30 Power Pro with flouro shock leader/wind on?? Any comments on this setup are greatly appreiciated.
thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Sounds like your mind is made up on the reel, I would ask why. You don't say what rod. I would keep it light and shorter for accuracy out of a kayak, probably go with a smaller reel myself.

On that size reel don't go under 30 # PP, I would up it to 50# The reel would be great fro your grouper trip. Out of the Yak think about a smaller one handed reel.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just bought a 6500, and will be spooling 15 lb green power pro. I am still not sure what rod to team this reel up with, i will be looking and checking out different set ups in the spring

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I too think the 6600 is overkill for back bay fishing. I am planning on getting the new "D" series 5600 for throwing 1/4 oz. jig heads w/ plastic.

Here is a link to the new "D" series.
"D" series link

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.. I thought the 6600's might be a little much, but I won't be casting to long with them, more of a jigging or chunking reel.I wanted to go with something that would sensitive enough for flounder but handle stripers and bigger grouper.
I have read some about the reels and most is favorable... As for rods... Cabelas is giving rods away with the 6600's - 7 ft. MH - probably a cheapy, but good for dunking on the yak..
I have some MH Penns that I will strap them for trips not on the yak.
Thanks Again,
Dan

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try the new Marathon reels they are similiar to the abu and have a great warranty. I was looking at one on ebay and got outbid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts