BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just purchased an abu garcia ambassador 6500 reel from the fort washington expo i got it for $85. I would like to know if this is a good reel and what type rod should it be paired with? It seems to be really smooth and strong. I was thinking med-heavy 7 foot. what are your opinions?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I have a few 6500's on med wt. rods. I really like em. Only diff, is $65 at Wal-Mart :D Don't have to clean em either! :eek: Just ask Finnatic5.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I own four Abu 5500's and each is over ten years old. All four are used extensively; they're workhorses and very durable.

The rods I use are "Star's" and are between five and six feet in length; light/medium and definitely not heavy.

These reels used to be the standard down here for light bait casting. Mine have held up very well and I use them inshore as well as in the surf. As a matter of fact, I prefer them to a spinning rod in the surf.

I think they're good value compared to more expensive reels. You can purchase similar reels that cost much more but IMHO you'll find the Abu is more than adequate.

ls

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from what i have been seeing I got the reel at suggested retail. oh well! just happy i got another, since the last reel is at the bottom of delaware bay with a big stripper attached to it

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Verse good reel !!! If you want to Soup it up go to Hattaras Outfitters.Com Click on reel Candy.. You can make that reel scream !!!! Oh by the way I know a few Strippers who take my pole all the time !!!--- HA!HA!HA! Sorry had too !!!--- ;) :D -- SG

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Verse, yeh, I got a 6500 on a ugly stick in the bay also. That was a weakie hit and a thumb with a nice cut.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was thinkin about gettin a Abu C4 5600 and putting it on a 7' MH rod too. Sounds like its a popular setup.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Verse- I can attest that On the Hook NEVER cleans his Ambassadors and they work like a charm for him. He got his 50 lber on it this past fall. We all use the one piece Ugly Stick model CAL1101 7' Med.Heavy. Great rods and cheap, only $29.95 at Sports Authority.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts