BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally finished the wreck rod ive been building. The blank is a shortened two piece lamiglass steelhead blank, 15-30#. was playing around a little with the new medium burnt cork from mudhole, and came up with the design below (making custom handles is probably my favorite part of rod building, lol), then shaped to fit my hand (cant tell in the pics but its actually slightly oblong in cross section not round). The rear grip is carbon tube supported every 3/4" with graphite spacers. the trim cork between the tube and reel seat is shaped to fit both pieces then blended together in the middle. Guides are american tackle virtus light in an acid wrap. the ferrule and base of rod are trimmed with sea snake skin and then wrapped to reinforce the ferrule. reel seat is a graphite/aluminum pac-bay channel loc. The reason i used it was so it would flex as the blank flexes through the grip for sure when loaded. its supported full length so the reel clamp doesnt break the graphite reel seat. the color combination comes out a bit weird in photos but looks sharp in person. The guides are underwrapped with size a desert sand, and the double overwrapped with size d sage.

The reel is an atlas 200 from Terminator Tackle spooled with 450 yrds of 30# powerpro.

Its the first wreck/salt rod ive built that was for my personal use, so i was able to kinda do whatever i wanted rather than what someone else asked for so let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Nice work I've never been much of a 2 piece rod guy, I'm paranoid about it twisting rolling breaking at the joint when wreck fishing.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys:thumbsup:

Nice work I've never been much of a 2 piece rod guy, I'm paranoid about it twisting rolling breaking at the joint when wreck fishing.
with the acid wrap it shouldn't roll at the joint, the ferrule wraps also reinforce the junction so it shouldn't snap out. If done right I feel that the strength you lose going two piece is minimal.... I usually do one piece as well but since this will be used on my kayak and charters the packability of the two piece was important to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.