BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another day on the tog grounds! We had John Decker along with Charlie, Mark, Larry, and George. We ran out on a flat ocean and were greeted by a beautiful sunrise. Hard to believe it is Janaury 11th...

I decided to try a piece that is off the beaten path this morning. Resting in a slough in some soft sand, this piece has produced some really good catches in the past. We got set up, dropped in, and Larry hooked up right away. It was a moose, and we put the scoop under him and he weighed in at 11lbs! What a way to start the morning. My hopes were strong when that happened, until George hooked up and boated a dogfish. Then, Larry hooked up again on a tog...this time an 11 incher. Then, I got bit...another 11 incher. George is on again...another dogfish...WTF! Got a report from the area that we've been fishing the last few days that the bite was on pretty good. So, I pulled the hooks and got underway. Just before setting up, got the call that it had just slowed down. ARGH! Put the hooks down and picked a keeper and a few small fish. There wasn't too much life, so we motored to drop #3. George hooks up right away on a giant eel. Now, I am really thinking what the heck is going on? We pulled a couple little tog here, but once again, not what we were looking for. So, up come the anchors again and on to drop #4. Another slow, scratchy pick with a fish hitting the box and numerous little tog. As a last ditch, I ran INSHORE to shallower water to drop #5. Got a slow pick going, particularly in the port stern corner, and we boxed several more fish and had some shorts here, too. We ended up getting a couple fish per man, but hardly the action I was looking for. It sounded like a couple boats got on some fish pretty good, but today just wasn't our day. On the bright side, it was a blue bird day for 90% of the trip, and we did get a really nice big male of 11lbs...:thumbsup:

Can't wait to get back after those toothy bastards and get some redemption!!!! :fighting: Looks like it's going to blow till Monday, so check back for reports. Went down today and did an oil and filter change so we are ready to keep hitting it for tog and later on for cod whenever the weather allows!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Great report and pics AC..:thumbsup: Never a bad day when the "large" hits the deck!

We have to figure out what qualifies as " the large" "the quality" and " Dinks"...

Under 3lbs = Dink

5-10 lbs = "the quality"

10lbs + = "the large"

20lbs= "the hernia"..:)

Where do you stand on this?..;)

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great report and pics AC..:thumbsup: Never a bad day when the "large" hits the deck!

We have to figure out what qualifies as " the large" "the quality" and " Dinks"...

Under 3lbs = Dink

5-10 lbs = "the quality"

10lbs + = "the large"

20lbs= "the hernia"..:)

Where do you stand on this?..;)
Matty,

Sub 14" = dink

I'd go 14" to 3lbs = eater

4lbs to 8lbs = quality

8lbs to 12lbs = large

12lbs to 20lbs = beast

20lbs plus = call the taxidermy man

Thanks brother!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.