BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Yesterday, we canceled at the last minute as a few of the forecast models had gone downhill. I was glad we did, as the wind was CRANKING and the ocean was nasty by mid morning.

So, moving on to today. We had John Baker along with Tom and Rick, and also aboard with us were Chip and Rocky. We fished a lot of drops, putting over 100 miles under the keel on the hunt for fish. Our first drop, Tommy nails a nice cod right away...

We boated a couple more keeper cod, a couple short cod, along with a nice keeper pollack at this spot. The dogfish were thick, too. Also, some nice sea bass were making a showing...ugh...frustrating throwing them back! Our next move, we headed deeper. Dropped down, and everyone hooks up...some seemed like nice fish. They were nice fish...nice sea bass! We stayed here very briefly and if the season were open it would of been all the sea bass you could want to catch. I had to check the calendar, as we had a special visitor here...

Warm water - bluefish! :huh:

Frustrated once again with the sea bass, we made a move back shallower. Although we had to toss a few nice sea bass back here, we also got into a few nice cod...

We picked a handful of nice fish off here, and once again the dogfish were everywhere, too. So, we made another move even shallower. We caught a few more cod here, with Loopy getting his cod for the day...

We caught a couple on this stop, and more dogfish. Finally, we made a run to an area where our last few stops were. SEA BASS was the name of the game in this area...nice ones in the mix, too. I never thought I'd think of sea bass as a nuisance. Ugh...I can't wait for May to fill the box with those tasty critters.

At day's end, we had 10 NICE cod, a pollack, one bluefish, and a pout in the box. While I'd like to see more cod, I am pretty grateful to be out catching nice fish in mid February! If you'd like to get on for some winter time fishing, give me a call! :thumbsup:

Don't forget, NBC Sports Network at 2:30pm tomorrow and Saturday at 11am for deepwater fluke.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Nice job Adam and crew....wow a bluefish...crazy...

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Adam, we had a great time!!!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice job on the cod! Can't wait to get out there after them. Hopefully the weather cooperates next week.

Got the DVR set for tomorrow. Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Great report Adam an d some happy anglers, about how deep do the cod generally hang this time of year? We're trying to get in early enough to try and do some cod fishing this season, on a flat day we could take our 20fter out, it's extremely sea worthy, but I don't want to run much over 25-30 miles with it. thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Nice job Adam. I am feeling your pain with the seabass regs. Thats ok we will mug them come May. I got my skinnin knife honed up.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone!

It was a lot of fun yesterday. You have to work for them, but catching fish in mid February and bringing back a cooler of fish is nice! :thumbsup:

Those sea bass better watch out come May!

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Thanks Adam, I needed that!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Sea bass? Dogfish? Aren't they endangered or extinct or something?

Do any jigging?
Phil,
Yeah, you are dead on!, endangered my ***, well I can say alot of Sea Bass have not been killed in the last three years, so they should be thicker than thieves about now.

Capt Adam,
thank you for the report, I am really enjoying the report and the info, -
alot of info to pick through. Typically we do not see alot of Sea Bass inshore ( opposed to 50 miles out) this time of the year, this winter is way different it appears.

How did the meat on the Cod look? very few worms? The worms come from Seal poop, and the ones I have caught down this way, are very clean - very few if little worms. We really don't have alot of Seals down this way, and I am curious that these fish here - pretty much range here now.

Some of the fish we get in Massachusetts and New Hampshire are loaded with worms, some visable right below the skin. Montauk fish were so - so.

The bigger the fish -the wormier they get due to the food they are eating up that way.
Captn Joe

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Phil,
Yeah, you are dead on!, endangered my ***, well I can say alot of Sea Bass have not been killed in the last three years, so they should be thicker than thieves about now.

Capt Adam,
thank you for the report, I am really enjoying the report and the info, -
alot of info to pick through. Typically we do not see alot of Sea Bass inshore ( opposed to 50 miles out) this time of the year, this winter is way different it appears.

How did the meat on the Cod look? very few worms? The worms come from Seal poop, and the ones I have caught down this way, are very clean - very few if little worms. We really don't have alot of Seals down this way, and I am curious that these fish here - pretty much range here now.

Some of the fish we get in Massachusetts and New Hampshire are loaded with worms, some visable right below the skin. Montauk fish were so - so.

The bigger the fish -the wormier they get due to the food they are eating up that way.
Captn Joe

I checked my fillets last night before packaging them for the freezer and I did not see any worms.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
You probably didn't look close enough....:D

Hold them up to the light ;)
I did. :thumbsup: I was surprised, expected to see a few.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts