BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Aboard with us today for a beautiful, mid February day on the water were Shawn, Traci, Joe, Paul, Tom, and Jeff. We shoved off just before dawn and found a stiff northerly wind and pretty stiff chop to go along with it. However, as the day wore on the wind and seas laid down beautiful and it ended up being a bluebird, spring like day on the water.

To the fishing...we fished four drops today. Our first one was COVERED with dogfish. They seemed way worse everywhere today than they have been the last couple weeks. We picked a couple keeper cod out of this spot, but the dogs were relentless and we had to leave. Second stop...dogfish mania on one side of the drop. You couldn't get away from them. Moving to the other side, we found a mixed bag pick of cod, ling, and tog. A few doggies mixed in, and they got worse as we sat on this spot. Third stop, mostly dogs but we did box a nice blackfish out of here, too. Fourth and final stop of the day was pretty much lifeless, not even a dog taking a sniff.

Overall, there are certainly cod to catch but the dogs probably outnumber them 20 to 1. We brought back 5 cod, a couple of blackfish, some nice ling, a monster pout, and we also killed a few spiny dogs per Paul's recommendation that they are good eating. Heck, I even killed one to eat myself. Everyone took one or two home to try out. Maybe if they are as good as some say we'll put a small dent in the population. I am going to beer batter, fry, and will report later! :wave:

THANKS GUYS FOR A FUN DAY!

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Spineys are better than smooth........... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
It was a great way to spend the day. Lotta laughs as usual with good company. What was the phrase of the day any way? :D Maybe Tracy remembers. TK

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spineys are better than smooth........... :thumbsup:
I tried and it wasn't bad...not my favorite, but not horrendous either. With some beer batter it was good. Plain by itself it had an unusual flavor.

Woof!! Fish and chips:thumbsup:
I'll stick with cod et al. :)

It was a great way to spend the day. Lotta laughs as usual with good company. What was the phrase of the day any way? :D Maybe Tracy remembers. TK
Get deep on it! LOL! :)

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Was it smooth or Spiney?

·
Registered
605 Posts
those dogs must be thick out there not usually on top of the wreck more on the open bottom by the wreck or around the rocks

·
Registered
453 Posts
Saw a couple of pic's on Tidal Fish where they caught them on Umbrellas trolling for Rockfish a coupke days ago off Virginia Beach..one had 4 on 1 umbrella rig....Think they are thick there as well...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Adam,

Thanks for a fun day on the Bomb! It's always a good time with a lot of good natured ribbing, at least I think it was good natured...

The broiled dogfish was pretty bland. It was better marinated in Italian dressing and best marinated in honey teriyaki sauce and coated in bread crumbs. My skeptical wife who likes only flounder and striper, and who is always suspicious of what I am bringing home to eat, asked what it was before trying a piece. I told her you said it was called "Verado," used to make Fish N' Chips, always caught along with Cod and Ling, and you should know because you've even been on TV. She tried it and said it wasn't as good as flounder or striper, but much better than Tog or Drum in her opinion.:thumbsup:

By the way, I read where dogfish is called "Rock Salmon" in Europe according to several sites on the Internet. That will be what I tell my wife the next time I cook a doggie. You should get George back for a spiny dog show, and you could "guarantee" he will catch fish for that show.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Adam,

Thanks for a fun day on the Bomb! It's always a good time with a lot of good natured ribbing, at least I think it was good natured...

The broiled dogfish was pretty bland. It was better marinated in Italian dressing and best marinated in honey teriyaki sauce and coated in bread crumbs. My skeptical wife who likes only flounder and striper, and who is always suspicious of what I am bringing home to eat, asked what it was before trying a piece. I told her you said it was called "Verado," used to make Fish N' Chips, always caught along with Cod and Ling, and you should know because you've even been on TV. She tried it and said it wasn't as good as flounder or striper, but much better than Tog or Drum in her opinion.:thumbsup:

By the way, I read where dogfish is called "Rock Salmon" in Europe according to several sites on the Internet. That will be what I tell my wife the next time I cook a doggie. You should get George back for a spiny dog show, and you could "guarantee" he will catch fish for that show.
Joe,
it was nice meeting yourself and Paul yesterday. We always have a fun time on the Bomb.
See you around Snug Harbor :thumbsup:
Shawn & Traci

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Saw a couple of pic's on Tidal Fish where they caught them on Umbrellas trolling for Rockfish a coupke days ago off Virginia Beach..one had 4 on 1 umbrella rig....Think they are thick there as well...
Unreal!

Adam,

Joe, we always a have a blast! Paul is the one who called it Verado. I took his word for it because he is the Cesar Milan of the spiney dogfish! It was OK in my book. I wish more people would try them and thin the herd.

Joe,
it was nice meeting yourself and Paul yesterday. We always have a fun time on the Bomb.
See you around Snug Harbor :thumbsup:
Shawn & Traci
Shawn and Traci, always a blast with you boys! Can't wait to do it again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts