BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Yesterday, we spent the day prowling around the Cape May rips, looking for a good bucktail bite that is typical for this time of year!

In the morning, we had Marty, Doris, Ed, RJ, Jack, and Brad aboard. We fished the ebb tides, and worked the rips from inside to out, and managed three fish to 34" for our trip. We had about four or five other good bites that resulted in a swing and a miss. In the afternoon, we had Jim Mac, Dopic Dick, Allan, Bruce, Ron, and company aboard. We fished the flood tide in the rips, and worked our butts off at every rip we could possibly think of! The result? One hookup for Dopic that resulted in a pulled hook. After a frustrating few hours, we made a fast run up the bay, hoping to catch the end of the flood. We got there right as the tide was ending, and Ron had one bite but the fish dropped the bait. For the first time of the season and the AB3's fishing career, we were flying the skunk flag! :(

So, with a slow day of fishing the rips behind us, we ran back up the bay to the clamming grounds where we have had good fishing this spring. We had Joe W., Joe C., and Ken aboard for the trip. Within a few minutes of anchoring, Joe W. hooked up and put the first fish of the day on the deck...a fat 27" slot fish. Over the next two hours, we had fast action with lots of bites, putting around twenty bass on the deck to 34", including several 'tweeners that measured 33.5" to 33 3/4"! The fish had all sorts of personalities...both crushing the baits and real soft bites. Great job guys! Joe W. nabbed our 34" fish...

Back at Snug...

Thanks for fishing hard, guys, and can't wait 'till next time! The weather for the rest of the week looks great, and we have some availability each day!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Adam you ever try clam on a fishfinder this time of year in the Rips? Had some success with that last year when they didn't snap on the bucktail but were on clam up the bay a little.

We found a small rubberband around the tongue of the clam helps hold it on through the drift.

Brian

PS - Sweet boat....I fished with Skip last week and got to see your boat.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
sorry about the skunk Adam...i think you've more than made up for it on other trips though ;)

we found the same different fish personalities in the bay yesterday on clam...looking forward to Friday if the weather holds up. keep me posted on the where/when you think we'll be heading on Friday morning. here's my post from the bay yesterday

http://www.thebassbarn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=008030

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hey Adam sweet boat. We got out about 10 and you guys were sitting where we headed. Tried the, we pulled up just to you starbord before you moved....Tried the celly but you looked busy...No bass for us but we were marking like crazy. Tried clam, herring and bloods, notin but skates. Guess we just missed the bite....

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian, never really have tried that, but sounds like it may produce if all else fails!

Steve, I saw you called after I got back, but didn't get a v-mail. Sorry to hear you didn't get 'em! They bit real good early on. Let me know if you want to get out on the new boat! You'll love this thing! :D

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Tommy,

Going to give a try again---this time I am making my own rig---I am putting a 6/0 hook and bucktail on a Home Depot laser level!

We tried, but you know how it can be!!!!!!!! :(
:(

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Yea Adam, you worked hard for us on Sunday afternoon and I appreciate that. Next time I'm bringing some water proof fuses. We tried everything else Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dopic, we'll get 'em next time, especially if you bring the lazer level!

Jim, always a pleasure having you aboard. This just means we have to do double damage next time you're aboard!

Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
You got that right Adam. If we slaughtered them Sunday afternoon I would have to wait longer between trips. Besides, were waiting on the biguns'.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Adam,
Despite the numbers, Sunday was still an excellent time. Congrats to Ed on his fatty and looking forward to doing it again soon. I'll have to bring my wife next time.
Best wishes to "Adam Jr." and family!
Take care,
Brad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.