BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fred's flounder thread is great. Here is a question for you all. Is it more effective to use a spinner on a clevis above a teaser seperated by a bead or two, or is that a what ever flounder are attracted to that day question as well?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I'd use a bead or two between teaser and spinner. I'm still not sure if a spinner realy spins that much when drifting. Even if it doesn't it will still reflect light and that will draw attention. One thing to remember. If it does spin it's putting up a lot more resistance and you may need a larger weight to keep it down. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
There are days where two plain hooks outfish the bells and whistles and there are days where the teaser gets all the hits. Sometimes a bucktail is all they seem to want. I dont understand it but having a variety of options handy seems to get rid of the skunk.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I believe that spinner blades are an advantage when the water has less visability, possibly picking up some light. What I hope is that it sends an audible and vibration signal. Don't know for sure but believe it would be helpfull in stained water. Staying with the smaller blade would probably be the way to go as the bigger the blade the more current needed to move it. The problem being you'll need a larger clevis to fit the leader material but they won't fit the hole in the blade, so you'll have to drill the hole larger.

What you may want to try that was all the rage in delaware bay years ago was the Woodens spinner it kind of reminded me of a bee, a foam body with two wings which were angled to spin in the current and were available with silver blades.

Believe they were called SPIN & GLOW.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
When a plain hook outfishes the bells and whistles its because all the jewelry weighs the bait and rig down and it is not working correctly...when you dont have the resistance on the blade to make it spin it is usless, take it off and go plain hook until conditions change and warrant the blades..bigger blade needs more resistance againts it to make it spin..keep checking your rig to see that it is working..when the blade dont spin because of the drift/current it acts like an anchor making bait dirty, no good..now drifting in the backwater is a alot different than the big D bay..the drift is alot slower....I like to kick the motor in gear, idle speed into to current and this was I can make any sized blade work right...when I fish the D bay im changing rigs all day with the change of the conditions..some times drifting the D bay you can have two drift socks out and still be moving over 3mph and catching fish...never get that fast in the backwater....blades will help your catch because of flash and vibration and I will use them every chance I can...

·
Registered
13,554 Posts
There are days where two plain hooks outfish the bells and whistles and there are days where the teaser gets all the hits. Sometimes a bucktail is all they seem to want. I dont understand it but having a variety of options handy seems to get rid of the skunk.
what he said :D

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am NOT going to switch up. all the flatties i caught last year, including the 27 1/2 incher were on the Freds float rig.

if it aintbroke, aint switchin'

thanks fred

ps. i fish manahawkin/barnegat bay, fish are dumb there, so they dont change their habits too much. :)

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never considered the resistance option, thanks Fred. Barrell, you are right, got to have a variety of options. Making sure the rig is working says it all Gordon, as a side, Livetofish says you are the hardest working man on the bay. :D Squidder, those spin n glo's can be real effective. Thanks All! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts