-quantum energy pt E101spt
-quantum tour pt TE101spt
-quantum Kevin vandam Pt

So if you know or have tryed any of these , I would appricate the help

Jon

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Looks like you're a lefty based on the model number. :)

I've tried all three and there's differences in all but many similarities too. They all sit on the reel seat very low and are extremely palmable.

The Energy is the heaviest feeling out of the group and has a thick stainless steel handle. It's smooth casting and the brake system is excellent. If you want something that feels powerful in your hands this is it. Cost is middle of the road unless there's a deal.

The Tour Edition is more for the tackle snobs. If you want a carbon fiber handle and super light frame this is the way to go. I have 2 of them. :nuts: This is also the most expensive of the 3.

The KVD is more of an everyman reel and equivalent to a Quantum Kinetic or Catalyst. It comes in a weird color but it's still super light. This is the least expensive typically.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
i think the majority of the reels today cast well, its more up to the angler in my opnion.
i travel light (when on foot) a lot so i'd prefer a lighter reel(and rod).
make sure you handle each reel to see how it feels and sits in your hand.

Nick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, rights handed but can't get used to having my dominate hand cranking (just getting into casting reels and from years of spinners, has left me a lefty fishing). If either of u are looking for a reel, dicks has the tour for $99, cabelas has the energy for $159. All things considered I think I'm gonna go with the tour, it's a $250 reel for $100 & I like the light feel it had (it's not the ugliest reel in the case either). I feel like its a great deal & it felt ultra smooth.

I wanna pair it with one of them micro guide eye rods, is they're any recommendations that you can make as far as they go? I held a bass pro carbon fiber rod and it felt amazing but if u can tell me something better, I'd love to check it out. Also, I'd like to keep it around $100 for the rod.

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yep, rights handed but can't get used to having my dominate hand cranking (just getting into casting reels and from years of spinners, has left me a lefty fishing). If either of u are looking for a reel, dicks has the tour for $99, cabelas has the energy for $159. All things considered I think I'm gonna go with the tour, it's a $250 reel for $100 & I like the light feel it had (it's not the ugliest reel in the case either). I feel like its a great deal & it felt ultra smooth.

I wanna pair it with one of them micro guide eye rods, is they're any recommendations that you can make as far as they go? I held a bass pro carbon fiber rod and it felt amazing but if u can tell me something better, I'd love to check it out. Also, I'd like to keep it around $100 for the rod.

Thanks

Jon
For 100$, Abu Garcia Veritas Micro Guide series rod. 7' MH for an all around rod if you only have one bc.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Build your own rod...that way it's exactly the way you want it. I've built a few micro guide and concept rods and don't really see what all the fuss is about.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Thanks

Jon
I have a 6'6" MH BPS Carbonlite rod for myself with the micro guides (which i was unaware of). While the carbonlite is an awesome rod and light as a feather, the micro guides SUCK!!!!. They are so small and chinsy, i got my rod in September and by November 2 guides had broke and 3 more were falling apart. I sent it back in and they replaced it under warrenty:thumbsup:. I begged them to send one with the regular guides ( they make both, or at least used to), but i got the microguides again. I'm keeping the reciepts from the 1st and 2nd rods so when these guides fall apart by the spawn i can complain again.

In short get regular guides and dont buy the micro guides, at least from BPS anyway. I cant speak for any others but i cant see them being much better. Just my $0.02 hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know its kinda funny that you all say that about that bps rods, cause I was there a month ago and this sales guy was no matter what I said was trying to push bps reels if I asked to see a reel & after he grabbed that rod, the honest salesmen walked by & said "you don't want that rod, the eyes fall off" & earlier told me that alot of the bps reels have a spool that feel metal but are really plastic & can crush under preasure of a good striper..etc. that Abu Garcia rod is pretty sharp, every time I go into dicks I end up playing with it, but without a recommendation from someone like you guys, I wouldn't just shell out a Hundo on it looked nice.. So, it looks like a quantum tour edition snob reel & Abu versa-something rod? Haha...anyone ever pair these two up?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the PT tour burner addition with a 7.0:1 gear ration
its so smooth and i love it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
A wise man once told me that Abu Garcia Revos and Shimano Curados were the only casting reels worth buying (he may verify this in a later post lol) :rolleyes: , but yea IMO for reels sticking to the traditional name brands are the way to go (abu, shimano, quantum, diawa, etc..), not the store brand ones. I dont have any better quality baitcasters reels yet so my advice is limited. It all boils down to preference really whatever feels nice in your hand. Happy spending:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Advise on a reel

Ok so I went to just about every dicks looking for a lefty Quantum tour edition (cause they are having the sale for $99.00) I had no luck, so I settled for a right handed one. So I got to thinking, I wonder if quantum could just swap it for me, so I emailed them & yes they will. I can't get over how good the customer service is for quantum, not just this time but about 3 months ago I sent back a quantum code rod & reel to them for replacement and ups lost it completely . Well it had my store receipt and everything with it, so quantum being a good company that they are, over nighted me a brand new combo. I just figured I'd throw that out there, incase it's something that's important to any of you guys. Spiderwire customer service is a much diffrent story. Anyway I got the tour edition. Thinking of pairing it with a 7'1" St.Croix Rage MH fast action, this rod has micro guides and I have a $50 gift card to bps that lands me in my budget of $100 on the rod. Anyone using One of these rods?

Jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts