BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to the Vinyard in June. Need to build a fly rod. Looking to spend under $100 for the blank. (If not possible to spend that little, any recomendation) Also, what size and how many guides on a the blank. Need specifics, because I do not know the lengths. Reel seat? grips?

Any help appriciated. Want to spend less than 200 for the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
MakoJoe, for $200, you can buy a pretty decent rod off the rack. Check out Temple Fork rods. I've never used one, but from the guys on this board that have, they cast like a dream, and are pretty inexpensive.

Now, if you're set on building a rod, you should figure about $75 or so for components (granted, these are not the top of the line components, but ones that will hold up to saltwater), and the balance for a blank. Check out Rainshadow blanks (made in the USA), PacBay, and GUSA (although I think that they may be a bit more than your price range). You can also try St. Croix, and some of the Cabelas blanks (PT and FT, and SLi, or something like that). From what I've read on other boards, people love these Cabelas rods.

As far as number of guides, you'll most like go for one guide for every foot of rod. Now, that's not saying that you space nine guides out evenly over a nine foot rod, but most blank manufacturers can give you the general dimensions for the guide spacing.

I'm building a 9' 6wt right now, and got all saltwater components. They ran me about $90 or so, but I knew exactly what I wanted.

For the Vineyard, you'll probably want to go with a 9 foot 8,9, or 10 weight. I've never been there, so maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

Definitely get a full wells cork grip, and a fighting butt for your rod. You'll more than likely go with an uplocking reel seat for saltwater. There are some catalogs that have the grip, reel seat, and fighting butt as a kit. Now, do yourself a favor, and do not buy a complete flyrod building kit. The components are usually not that great. Buy everything separately, although the grip/seat/butt kits are okay since you're on a budget.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, post them up here.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
For the Vineyard you want a ten weight - there are some bruisers up there as I'm sure you know.

Are you intent on building a rod?? Like Doyle mentioned, you can get a Temple Fork 10 wt. relatively cheap and they cast very well.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I love my Temple Fork 10wt... about $150 or less if you shop around.. smoooooth, plenty of power, and KILLER FAST warranty service if you break it. ($25 and you have a new pole in about 4 days.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts