BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a smaller used cc hopefully by the begining of this season if everything pans out the way i want it to. I will most likely be slipping in somewhere mid d bay. I am thinking somewhere between 18-20ft would be ideal. I am trying to keep operating costs fairly low, and it being my first boat would like it to be easy to operate. I know I will not be going anywhere off shore, just the usual dbay fisheries, drum, striper, striper, striper, fluke, and some sharking. So i dont feel that I will need a boat over 20ft. Probably be fishing 2 guys max, maybe take the family out on a nice day boat ride. I am looking for something reasonable price wise but also stable and reliable. I saw the tidewater 198 at the AC show and that boat is real nice. If things pan out moneywise that would be my choice but i am trying to keep my options open. Thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Gotran,

Delaware bay can get pretty nasty at times depending on wind and tide. I have a 1974 17' Mako that my father bought new. She is a great little boat, but with the low gunnels, she gets real small real fast. Dad has a newer 19 Mako with higher gunnels and wider beam and it is a much bigger boat than my 17. My 21 is even bigger still, but it has lower gunnels and 6" less beam than dad's. Grady white makes an 18 and 20 footer and they are referred to as big little boats. They are wide with lots of gunnel. Aquasport and wellcraft have been around along time and have several time tested models out there available. Of the newer brands that really shine, the Sea Hunts have a significant following and make models from 17 to 29 feet. If I had the notion to buy a brand new boat, that would be my choice and I own 2 Mako's...I am not familiar with the Tidewater boats, so I can comment on them. When looking at the boats(in general), a deeper V hull (18-24 degrees deadrise) will require more power to push it and will rock alot but will run better into the waves. A modified V hull (7-16 degrees desdrise) will run quicker with the same power as a deep v as it will be easier to push through the water, it will not rock as much as the deep v but will have a little rougher ride in waves. A flater bottom (0-7 degrees desdrise) will not rock as much, needs less power to push it, but will pound you to death when running into the waves.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is a smaller boat is not necessarily easier to operate. The lighter boat is more affected by tides and wind when your talking about docking. Docking will be the hardest thing to learn IMO as a first year boater. I have a Trophy 1802. I struggle in the wind and current. I also have a full enclosure which acts as a sail. I was told that the bigger you go the easier it can become at times. Of course that was from a salesman trying to sell me a bigger boat...lol. But it did make sense. I would look at a 20 if you could swing it. I also fish 90% of the time with 1 or 2 people. My next boat would probably be a 21. If you go 18 make sure its self bailing. My boat is not and I don't like that part of it. The bay can definitely get nasty and you'll learn how to read the wind direction vs the tide to see how nasty to expect. You'll also learn that the weathermen basic suck...lol

Good Luck,
Tom

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Not sure if you're looking for new or what...but I had a 17' mako and like the others, thought the boat was great...similar to the old 17 aquasport...BUT low gunwales for sure...

We had a 20' CCP Aquasport...HUGE boat for it's size...HIGH gunwales and would take slop pretty well..

I'm not sure of your budget..but a decent 80's Mako/Aquasport in the 20' would be nice...

You can also get great deals on 5 year old boats that will get you a 21-23 Contender/regulator for low 30g's....If you're only fishing 2 max...and will fish backwater often...I wouldn't go larger thsn 23'...take a look into Parkers as well they build a nice heavy CC....

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
i second the suggestion to look at Parkers. they make a fantastic 18 and several great 21 ccs that have an almost cult-like following in their respective circles. theyre relatively plentiful, especially in this market, and you can find some really good deals. altogether, a very well built, simple, easy to operate, straightforward fishing boat. if thats what youre interested in, definitely check them out.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Nothing beats feet. nothing less than 19' 21 is better as wide, with high gunnels as you can find. My previous boat was a 19 CC roll gunnel with a 112 evinrude I used that boat on the bay for 8 years. I was wet and quite often cold but caught a bunch of fish and never really had a bad scare. But you still have to be careful about wind and weather.
My current boat is a Viper they are copies of the Parker you can see them at viperboats.net. I'm guessing at about 12,000.00 for the 21 CC. I can tell you that if you shop hard and are willing to travel a bit you can save a pile of money and get one very good boat. I saved 11,000.00 and gained 75 hp over the Parker 2120 package. Good luck in your search and everybody was first boat owner sometime ;)

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was taking a look at some of the used 18cc parkers that i have seen around. Def want something that handles the slop of the bay , i fished the bay all year in a 21 and saw first hand how quickly it can get nasty. So I guess I will be looking for something with high gunnels, the makos and parkers are looking pretty good, its just a matter of how much i will have to spend and that will be the final saying point. i will def be getting the boat surveyed prior to purchase.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I understand... what is your budget.. do you have any preferences to power etc...
as of right now my budget is probably under 10k power would be around 125 ish, looking for a decent electronic setup, nothing spectacular, t top. really am open with a lot just tryng to weight all options and make an informed choice

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Look guys...this shouldn't turn into a "buy my boat thread"...

The guy asked simple question.

As for buying the biggest you can afford...well that makes sense to a point...you want something realible something with fairly new power...and something you can easily use and maintain.

A solid 21' CC will be just fine or a 19-20 at the same time...

I still say check out an older Mako/Aquasport/Sea Craft etc etc...get it survayed and you have yourself a great little boat...a 20-21' boat can handle a lot...

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I've owned 3 boats, a 21ft Walk around, a 16 ft run about, and an 18ft CC, and have fished the ocean in all 3, and of course the bigger the boat the safer I felt, and the more days I could fish.

However, I think a boat in the 20ft range give or take a foot is perfect, small enough to easily maneuver and trailer, but big and safe enough for the ocean/dbay when conditions are right.

If it was my money I’d be looking for a late 90s/early 2000’s model from a solid brand with 2 stroke power. I personally think that’s the best bang for your buck, the engines are simple, cost little to maintain, and are very reliable. The down side is they use more gas. After I found a boat with a decent reputation and good power, I'd look for things like relatively new electronics and a quality trailer.

Personally if I had 10k to spend I’d look for something like a, 20 ft 2001 pro-line/wellcraft/hydrasports/seahunt/etc, with a 150 Yamaha 2 stroke, Garmin gps/ff, and a quality trailer, rather than a 1978 23 ft Mako, with a loran, twin 250’s and a junky trailer.

You are just going to end up spending a lot more money to run and maintain the old big boat than you would a more generic but up to date late model boat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.