BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this Spring/summer I'm going to take my 2 yr. old daughter fishing for the first time. Here is how I'm appraoching this day. I will take her to a freshwater lake for sunnies or whatever will bite. She has a Mickey Mouse fishing rod.(I thought I'd wait off on the Van Staal, Loomis set up ;) ) My question is who out there can share their experience on your own trip with your child and whether I should approach this in another way.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sounds like the first trip my dad took me on (I had a snoopy rod). Pop a gardern worm on the hook with a boober and have at the sunnies.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Fishenough, a great place to take your youngster on their first fishing adventure would be Bauer's Fishing Preserve in Seaville, New Jersey. Joe stocks the pond full of sunnies, crappies, largemouth bass, hybrid striped bass, trout, and catfish. The areas around the docks will be loaded with sunnies and provide your daughter with plenty of action. You're doing the right thing, and there's no better way to keep our sport alive than to bring a new fishperson into the fold! Have a great time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fishenough,I would second adam bomb's suggestion. When my neice was about 4, I took her to a similar place. What a blast! She had the kiddy closed face push button reel, I was amazed how fast she picked up casting. I couldn't get her to touch the worms until our second trip, then I had to stop her from trying to bait her own hook. The look on their face as they reel in fish is priceless. Enjoy!

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Fishenough,
Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Two sounds a little young, but who knows. Bauers is sure to get you plenty of action, which should be the key to keeping your daughter interested!

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Margarita,
I thought the same, but she is askingme everyday to go and she is a little pistol. I just gotta keep her attention. I think Bauer's would be great. I live down the road from there. Thanks for the advice. Oh and Eagles in the Superbowl 2006 ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I started taking my son with me when he was three. The memories I have are priceless and they're good company on a slow day. First make sure she's comfortable. I had the advantage of surf fishing with my truck next to me on the beach. Most importantly don't be surprised/upset if she forgets fishing 2 minutes after she gets there and starts playing. Children have short attention spans and as long as she has a good time she'll equate it with fishing and come back for more. Before you know it you'll be pleading with her to call it a day and she'll be saying" just one more Daddy"!
I for one envey you. Be patient and you'll have a fishing buddy for life, or at least until she grows up.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Keep it active and short,when the lowe comes be prepared to play in the sand with her.

MAKE IT FUN !! ;)

My four year old Grandson is my best fishing partner,I bait the hook and he reels in the pin fish.

It makes for a great day.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Originally posted by Wahoo II:
Most importantly don't be surprised/upset if she forgets fishing 2 minutes after she gets there and starts playing. Children have short attention spans and as long as she has a good time she'll equate it with fishing and come back for more.
Right, don't expect to go out all day long. make short trips, extend it a little each time, when they've had enough, they'll tell you, end it then.

Bring hot dogs or bread and feed the fish, they get a big kick out of that.

Took my son on the boat when he was 5, lake fished before that, at 6 he filled 2 hours catching jelly fish with a net with holes, he managed a few :D + a portable DVD player helps.

Now he's 7 and eyeing up my jon boat, asking a ton of questions. Good excuse to fix it up and get out there.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I started my daughter at 3 with white perch in the chesapeaake bay.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I took my 2 year old and 4 year old fishing first when they were 1 and 3 and we went sunny fishing in at cape may county park. That got the hang of it pretty quick. Last June I took them and their kiddie rods out behind Sea Isle City and they had a blast catching fluke and sand sharks. My 2 year old caught several throwbacks and a couple of little sharks (she still talks about catching sharks) and my 4 year old caught two keeper fluke on that went 3 pounds on her Barbie rod. My two year used a Tigger rod. They both had fun, but the key was that we brought plenty of snacks and some coloring books for when they got board and we also only fished a few hours. Good luck and teach that girl to fish!

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
I'm taking my boy for the first time on April 23. We'll be fishing off the dock in the Florida Keys. He's been working with a Sponge Bob Zebco and can cast it already. I'll put out a chum bag and bring in the snappers, grunts, pinfish, etc.....He'll catch a bunch of little crap and I'll have bait. In the summer we have a cabin on a lake that is overloaded with perch. I'll post a report in the beginning of May.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My youngest son caught his first fish when he was 18 months old. He caught the 18" pickerel at the Sand Plant in Warren Grove on minnow on his Mickey Mouse pole.
I have to be honest I did have to help land the fish. We have a picture to remember the catch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts