BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get into more BFT fishing this year. I do not have much gear for this type of fishing. Can anyone make any suggestions on what to pick up to start out trolling and chunking for BFT.

I picked up a couple spreader bars today but thats about the extent of my tuna tackle.

Any advice would be really appreciated

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
its all about budget.
a nice 5 rod set will get you started.
you can add a few rods as your budget allows.
some guys are using 16 size reels, they work great for our area,
mix a couple 30 size reels and you can get started.

then you can get some hooks, floro, teaser lures. jets.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the rods and reels I have 6 rod and reel setups for this fishing. Im more concerned about what kind of lures and stuff to get.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Green Machine spreader bars, squid spreader bars, They LOVE blue and white skirted Ballyhoo lures, Cedar plugs, Jap feathers..

And for chunking, Fluorocarbon leaders and circle hooks.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Gonna jump on this thread

On our boat we seem to have the Yellowfin tuna trolling thing down. Have never trolled up a BFT. So to add to this thread. What do you troll for BFT? I remember two years ago when the rage was to troll bally islander combos wwwwb. but did not hear much of this this past season. So again whatdo you troll fro BFT?

Joe Termite

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Last year most of our trolled BFT came on green and zucchini spreader bars, green machine daisy chains, and feather daisy chains. The year before most of the fish came on blue and white and green and yellow skirted ballyhoo.

When the troll bite was good this past season there were a lot of squid in the area, hence why the bars were working so well, but you can't go wrong with a combo of spreader bars, skirted ballyhoo, and cedar plugs in the wash.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Go with the smaller sizes in six and nine inch. Run a bait deep as well with a cigar weight or a smaller planer. I admired your ride this year, you were docked next to my buddy.

·
Registered
924 Posts
mrs. fishermen

the game has not changed much blue/white/or pink/white bally wwwb is the ticket with the bigger fish.you can add spreader bars or planer with bally deep also.from what I have seen most times school size 40/50lb will cover up the spread but the bigger class 1 or 2 at most and always on the wwwb.most of the time I use 50 and 7o internationals watched a 30 tw spooled two different times in a day lost both fish.I burnt the crap out of my thumb on the second fish and had to respool 2 reels .lesson learned you can still fish 30 wide reels but do it when you have crew that is experienced which I did not have .braid is the other alternative but tangles suck if they occur.

·
Registered
924 Posts
the post above that states green plastics worked well last year is right.had 11 on my green machine bar in one day but they were smaller fish. still can't go wrong with islanders

·
Registered
684 Posts
If I were you I would go to Youtube and enter "how to rig ballyhoo" if you dont already know how. Buy yourself a pack to practice on at home or dock rather than learning while out there ( make sure thay swim ).

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Bft fishing I use spreader bars most the time with birds,this year green did better the year before it was rainbow,its also good to have a dark spreder to,but I use birds on most of my spreaders

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have the rods and reels I have 6 rod and reel setups for this fishing. Im more concerned about what kind of lures and stuff to get.
Jowics159, get a heavy jiggin (great jig bite last year June-July) and spinning setup (great topwater bite in November) and a few 30s for the troll and chunk if you really want to cover the whole fishery....I bring everything every time, you never know how these fish will feed, although I didn't see many on top this year until November, the year before I got them on top in July.... to give you a breakdown of the fishery last year in NJ:

late may-June: good bft catches mostly on trolled spreader bars for smaller fish (40-75 lbers), bigger fish on WWB ballies, chunking good too around scallop boats (get some scallop guts when there on it), sardines a must, I use Penn 30s on the chunk and troll for them, I think if you happen to get a larger fish, which are sometimes mixed in with the schoolies, you'd wish you were using a 30 or 50....fish 35-55 miles off

late june-july - jig bite was hot (must have), stingos and jersey jays i think were best bang for buck, chunking worked around scallop boats... fish 35-55 miles off

august - september - fishing was tough, green water, eaked out some on jigs and chunk fish 35-55 miles off

Oct - jigs and chunking, bite got better as water cleared fish 35-55 miles off, smaller fish 20 miles off, on there way in

November - Dec. - great topwater bite on big yozuri and tuna hunter poppers and sliders and Ronzs, fish 3-13 miles off, love it inshore

1 - 13 of 13 Posts