BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how to bleed the air out of the power trim and tilt unit. I've got a 1999 225 Evinrude and I think there must be air in the trim unit. When I lower or raise the outboard it bounces at the end of the stroke. I have never had any problems before. Thanks

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
On the Stbd side there is a large fill plug. Tilt the engine up and top off the fluid. Run the unit up and down a few times and top it off again. THe unit will self bleed. Make sure you are using power trim and tilt fluid and not traney fluid.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
barnaclebillsmarine said:
On the Stbd side there is a large fill plug. Tilt the engine up and top off the fluid. Run the unit up and down a few times and top it off again. THe unit will self bleed. Make sure you are using power trim and tilt fluid and not traney fluid.
I thaught the manual recomends dextron II as well as OMC trim fluid?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My brother told me last week to use traney fluid and I did so now I have to try to get it out, oh well I "WAS" ready to drop her in.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Creek Duck said:
I thaught the manual recomends dextron II as well as OMC trim fluid?
THey may have called for Dextron back in the 80's. With todays higher hp's putting a stain on the trim system it should not be used. It will start to foam causing air bubbles.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
barnaclebillsmarine said:
THey may have called for Dextron back in the 80's. With todays higher hp's putting a stain on the trim system it should not be used. It will start to foam causing air bubbles.
That is why I asked and picked some up last Friday from you.:D I want no issues 50 miles out.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts