BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched an episode of FLW this morning where a fresh water bass angler killed the pack at Lake Guttersville using what looks like a castable 9er rig.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After watching the rest of the show Im not to sure the arms in this rig would hold up to relentless bluefish/striper attacks. One of the anglers ended up breaking 3 of the 5 arms on 3-4 lb bass.

From the looks of it the Alabama rig is illegal to use in sanctioned BASS and FLW tournaments.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alabama rig

Alabama rig looks great! but i think they will outlaw it. it going to devastate the fish population. get it while you can.IT looks so good it might take the fun out it,just a thought

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I mean it looks cool and all, but do you really think it will be worth the hassle?? A schoolie will tear that thing to shreds?? Is it really necessary to toss 5 jerkbaits or shads at a time??

If you spend 50% of your time on the water adjusting wires, you better be catching during the other 50%.....

I am wrong more than I am right, but I'll pass for now.

P.S. It is not going to decimate any fish populations. I think it will about as deadly as a properly placed single jig or jig/teaser combo....

RyanF

·
Vendor
296 Posts
i looked at them. I dont know that they would hold up to a decent size striper. I could be wrong but i will not be the one to test this out. With my luck i would hook the largest bass of my life to have it break one of the arms out of the weighted head. Let us know.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Got 'em

I saw that bass fishing show with the alabama rigs and the guys at The Niners booth had their version on display at the AC show. I have no sales resistance with fishing gear so I bought 3. I don't know how they will hold up or if they will be a PITA to fish but I figured it was worth a try.

I'll let you know if I ever get around to trying them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I saw that bass fishing show with the alabama rigs and the guys at The Niners booth had their version on display at the AC show. I have no sales resistance with fishing gear so I bought 3. I don't know how they will hold up or if they will be a PITA to fish but I figured it was worth a try.

I'll let you know if I ever get around to trying them.
are u talking about the kayak rig?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
ill bet someone could make an even smaller version with maybe 4 baits and use on flounder . i just know it would work.maybe with 4 gulp swimming mullets on them.id try it in delaware bay for sure. youd also figure out the hot color and adjust other rods accordinly faster than just one color for awhile and then swithchin up.. lol just my brain being bored to death.lol

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Alabama vs Kayak

Dogs,

I don't know for sure. I saw a TV show that called a small castable umbrella rig an Alabama Rig. I asked the guy at the Niners Both about them and he showed me a small umbrella rig that they make. It could be a kayak rig too. I don't know what makes a difference from the other. Whatever you call it I have a couple now.

·
Vendor
296 Posts
ill bet someone could make an even smaller version with maybe 4 baits and use on flounder . i just know it would work.maybe with 4 gulp swimming mullets on them.id try it in delaware bay for sure. youd also figure out the hot color and adjust other rods accordinly faster than just one color for awhile and then swithchin up.. lol just my brain being bored to death.lol

Great idea

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was thinking that would be a great idea also, i googled salt water alabama rig and they have them for flounder, a 3 arm model built heavier for saltwater, only $10.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
not sure, shop was selling them rigged, the sand eels swim awesome.

I will say these will crush fluke sea bass but pair up big stripers on this thing and I am not sure how things will turn out.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I saw the flw show today and when i tuned in I thought wow, Ive never seen these guys troll umbrella rigs before. Then i realized they where casting them. It was just odd and for some reason I just couldn't believe the flw would allow something like that? But for me it just got worse, they started complaining about having to cast them all day, Im thinking to myself what a bunch of wussies.:roll eyes: But other then that, looks like a no brainer. 5 baits or 1?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts