BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use those Alabama rigs? Wow an umbrella rig for freshwater who'da thunk it.Makes sense though.I wonder how'd dat on stripers.

·
Registered
972 Posts
they sound like all the rage, have not used one and dont plan on it... catching 2 or 3 bass at a time is cool, but its an unfair advantage... using 5 baited hooks vs one baited hook. hhmmm, wonder what will catch more fish. anyone know if theyre banned from tournaments yet? To each his own, but I won't be using them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah. I was watching the Fishing Shows today and the Bass Tournaments in Alabama. I never seen anything like it. I looked up the prices of this rig. It will cost you about $27 just for the rig, then you have to buy the weighted jig heads (5) and the swimbaits ($12 more). I get upset when I use a Rapala and lose it-- cost $7. With my luck, I would lose the Alabama Rig on the first cast. Too much of a risk factor in losing the rig or having it break off, just like on the show. :eek:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
This is a castable umbrella rig that a few pro fisherman have used to win some high profile events recently. Paul Elias is credited for using it first and winning the B.A.S.S. Southern Open on Guntersville in Alabama. Since then B.A.S.S. has banned its use in tournament competition and cited a 1 lure rule. That means no double fluke rig and no double dropshot rigs either.

Mann's Bait Company makes the original A-Rig but there's lots of copycats out there now. Some have made spinnerbaits with wire harnesses and buzzbaits with the same. There's even companies making special "A-Rig Worms" if you want to fish 5 worms at one time.

State regulations vary and in some places it's illegal to use a 5 lure A-Rig. Again the copycats have made 3 lure A-Rigs to still make a buck.

I think it's a fun wrinkle on fishing. I don't know how effective it will be locally as it's meant to target schooling fish. In my club we have not banned its use since we're a fun fishing club. If you have fun throwing out an old umbrella that's up to you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
NJ- any inland ponds and lakes the lure is aloud to be fully rig with all 5 baits.

Delaware river- the lure is only allowed to have 2 or 3 rigged baits and the rest rigged with dummies(no hooks)

i forget were i heard it from but i think it was either on tv or in bass times

·
Registered
499 Posts
Here are my thought on it:

The A rig, also known as the A hole rig, is a ridiculous lure.

I cant believe anyone would be caught throwing such a thing.

Who the heck would spend that much on a rig?

I cant believe I havent caught anything on it yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts