BASS BARN banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what the best all around rod is for offshore trolling...from wahoo to bills to standup tuna....was looking at a penn international v combo but wanted to get some knowledge if anyone didnt like the international rods and or knew of anything better

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
are you putting a 30 or a 50 on there? you can go custom for roughly the same price and get the exact feel that you are going after coupled with the cosmetics of your choice. the quality and craftsmanship is also much higher when you go with a top shelf custom rod builder. i you want to talk more about it please call or email us.

jay

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Seafarer85 said:
Was wondering what the best all around rod is for offshore trolling...from wahoo to bills to standup tuna....was looking at a penn international v combo but wanted to get some knowledge if anyone didnt like the international rods and or knew of anything better
right now there are a few "best" all round blanks used for those types of fishing
seeker has a new model
and calstar has some newer blanks that have been working well
the seeker would have a action closer to the penn but more power
the calstar would be faster with good power
penn uses a fairly cheap blank, and a softer action
i guess if you are looking for the "best" all round go seeker
alot of barn guys have the seekers, and are VERY happy with them;)

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Two choices could be the 40-100 lb Calstar glass, teamed with a 30 international size reel, any brand, or a Calstar GF700XH with any number of torque style reels out there. Jay, Paul, or Weston, all barn sponsors could build you a great rod, and I build as well. If you buy factory, you get factory. The hardware is not as good as used on custom. Custom is barely more money. What is the warranty? Does it get shipped out and you wait for your rod to come back? Small problems sometimes put a rod out of service.
THere are a few key ingedients to the makeup, Butt assembly, Guides, and rod shaft. If you dont know which you are getting, it just might be the "Malaysian Special". There are loads of tricks rod Manufacturers use to cut corners, the consumer cant see where it's been done. Kevin Bogan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts