BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought 2 penn 50s off this guy on craigslist 6 months ago,both are brand new in the box.They are from the late 70s, both are lever drag.They even have wood handles.They both have dacron on them.What should i do with it?Respool it or leave it on there?:nuts: Oh yea are these reels worth anything?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
They are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Now that I stated the obvious...

Strip the line off them and load them up with your favorite flavor of line and go fishing. I wouldnt hurt to check the lubrication and make sure its not all dried up, thats a long time to be sitting but I bet they will be fine.

Those are good reels, the weakness is the galvanic corosion between the chrome plated brass and aluminum. If you wanted you could swap out the frames with Tiburon or Accurate aluminum frames if you can find some.

Tha drags in some of the old International reels were asbestos, I am not sure when they changed to HT-100 but the drags should be fine if they havent been used. The real advantage to the HT-100 and Duradrags is they dont get slick or jerkey when wet.

Good luck.

Brett

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'll tell ya what, the fish don't know what your reeling him up with. Before all these fancy shamancy expensive stuff out today, its what all the charter and party boats used along with it being in our arsenal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Those old Penns are great reels. But Do not forget the age of them, parts are getting few and far between for them. Make sure you take them apart and lube them up and put new line on them.... Good luck with your new investment !!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.