BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever thought about it? Kinda like knowing the Fire Drill at Home?

Lets say that there is a Coronal Mass Ejection that takes out all of our Communications such as Phone, Internet, TV etc.... Or maybe an EMP or maybe it's the gov... HOW would you get a hold of your Family or Friends?

What's your Game Plan? Suddenly you can't reach your other half, your Kid's, your Relatives, your Best Friend... Maybe it's just for an hour of something happening, maybe it's for several days... Suddenly there is no News, no Alerts, nobody calls you to tell you what just happened... Suddenly you're in the DARK.

Whether it happens at 2 a.m. or 2 p.m. > What's the Game Plan, what do you/me/we do?

Heck, I'd prolly shart myself if I got detached from the Barn let alone the world :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Prolly be a good thing for us to Brainstorm this and figure this out beforehand.

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
Been Hearing rumors for the last day about a major power outage countrywide panic buying at Costco the other day in Clifton and a weird anybody know what’s up

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
I don't care i have plenty of food for approx. 2 weeks and a generator also 2 1/2 cords of wood and 2 fireplaces . BTW have not heard anything about it.

Reactions: Scarface

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently, my other half went to Marco Island for a quick 4 day Girl's getaway, my Son lives in the Carolina's and when the other half is home she's 25 miles away. And with that idea, how do you communicate with them if communications go down let's say right NOW?

The only way I can think of now is to drive there. Locally, I would run to my friends house and make contact there 1st.

I know they talk about Ham Radio's, but I don't have one or know of anyone with one. I do have a CB and magnetic Antenna available. Then again none of my friends have one, so that prolly wouldn't work for friends but might get me some insight.

Not sure about how firewood would help communicate with you're other half when you're out of sight of each other.

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
Same as back in the day wait till i see them my kids are grown with kids

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well I think it would be like when Hurricane Sandy came thru and knocked everything out. Here in PA we didnt have power for a week and next to nothing was open. So take what happened then, and multiple it by 10.

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
I have a ham radio and could ask a local ham to do a welfare check basically anywhere my family might be. Unlikely, and would still be difficult to setup. for the most part, shelter in place until some comms come back up.

·
Registered
20,064 Posts
Take a nap.... it will not solve anything, but I will be well rested... :)

All kididng aside, if things looked like they were going south, I'd load up the truck with a little... defense equipment...and head for my kids house to go get them and bring them back. They are too close to NYC... but if I saw any zombies, they are on their own... don't like zombies...

Reactions: Scarface

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
My only problem would be Gasoline for the Generator unless a medical problem happens but as i stand today i have 20 gal at my house and 10 gal.at my daughters and she is less then a mile away.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Home Front and prepping are prolly mostly good for the Barn Crowd.... My question is Communicating or getting info of any type if you're phone, internet, radio and TV go down.. even for a couple hours or several days?

How would you find out anything? How would you find out if this was local or nationwide or worldwide... What could you or I do to make a plan in advance to solve the problem?

Your Wife (or Kid's) are 20 miles away and you can't reach her and you don't know what the heck even happened or where she is or if she's safe.

What or how could we solve this and be ready ahead of time?

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
It would definitely be a problem just look at the local after the hurricanes just loss of cell phone service had people going nuts.

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
I do have a handheld VHF W / Weather and a handheld CB i guess in a panic i could try .

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I’ll throw in start drinking. My inventory management of adult beverages has improved. The budget has increased also.

·
Registered
22,493 Posts
Off the top of my head and knowing our family, they would all head to our home to see how the Bride and I were doing.
I come to this conclusion based on the telephone calls throughout the weekl.
The Bride orders our food through the internet yet there is a knock on the door with one of the family down the path having left something in the way of food or sundry.

Reactions: wired98
1 - 20 of 34 Posts