1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/03/AR2010030301436.html?hpid=topnews

We're now on board with Morocco. This would turn that giant fishery in North Carolina, as well as in Mass. on its ear, wouldn't it? It's really tough to pick a side on this because it's so obvious how the numbers of these fish are suffering compared to the "good old days" when they were very plentiful. But I do imagine this would put a hurtin' on many fishing businesses.
From what i heard a couple of the Heads from each Organization had praised the US and Canada for our efforts in BFT quota and management and were in favor of our methods of catching them(rod and reel and harpoon) So maybe that will be the plus side of all this! could you imagine if the only fisheries allowed for bft export would be rod n reel and harpoon? that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I agree with Bob.

I think if this happens without restricting the other species of tuna our current state of yellowfin, longfin, and bigeye fishing will be remembered as "the good ole' days"....

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Interesting point Bob, my only throw at it is that if the catch continues ad Bluefin are essentially wiped out that other fish are going to follow anyways...

Good pint I hope they consider your point.

I jst read an article and the global warming summit and that one action has fuel at an estimated 7 bucks a gallon. That occurs and the fish won't matter...:mad:

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I read at the bottom, they are excluding Dogfish & Porbeagle for possible CITES listing. Hmm,

I distrust the Fed Gov so much, as well as Dep. of Interior - NOAA NMFS and the Pew Foundation, it is hard for me to accept anything they say as the truth.

I only know our government lies to us - Constantly about fisheries management.

I would however like to see a talk here about this subject.

Before us recs spout off and say "yeah more Bluefin for me" please read what I wrote above. I believe our fisherman are fishing in a responsible sustainable manner already, all of us. A CITES listing will inevitably result in NO FISHING PERIOD. Believe me, listen to our side, open your mind.

It's the fish that make the crossing, are the ones that don't come back, and its a big problem , that is being dealt with by ICCAT nations looking the other way on a few pirate Nations?. Where is our governement on this?? Don't hear a word, just like them missing the terrorists who board planes intent on killing innocent Americans. They are in charge, yet do nothing.

I can smell ( PU) in the end, they will take more from our already starving fisherman - make them pay for a problem not of their doing.

I do know this
1) Some European & African Nation's have been criminal in taking every Bluefin they can kill, they have a huge quota compared to United States, and still exceed it by more than half. With back door reporting or non reporting. No question the big collapse is coming in the Med. I think it already happened. Will I feel sorry for the Japs? no they will eat something else, stuffed in Rice.

2) In Europe they have commercial fished the Dogfish heavy. A CITES listing would really hurt the American Commercial Fisherman. We have a stock here that can feed the European market and still leave plenty of the Spiny bastids around. Yet our governement maintains such a low level of catch, our fisherman don't even put a slight dent in the out of control population.

I asked fishpicker how long it takes him to catch his 3,500lb Dogfish quota, ( with his dayboat trawler) he said " Ten Mississippi" meaning it only takes ten seconds to catch all he can for that trip - ten seconds!!!!

We recreational fisherman here, all know - already how many of these things are really out there, yet our Federal Government denies this
PLAIN TRUTH. Can you imagine if Dogfish get a CITES listing???

I am sorry, I don't know what else to say, I would like to see a talk here, so we can develop this subject matter. What I will not tolerate is Government/PEW BS propaganda... Just the facts please.

Captn Joe

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what i heard a couple of the Heads from each Organization had praised the US and Canada for our efforts in BFT quota and management and were in favor of our methods of catching them(rod and reel and harpoon) So maybe that will be the plus side of all this! could you imagine if the only fisheries allowed for bft export would be rod n reel and harpoon? that would be wonderful.
That is best-case scenario, as far as I'm concerned. I'm praying for something along these lines, but fear it might be a pipe dream. It'd mean the end of shows like that "Tuna Wranglers" show! ;)

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Great idea, now how are you going to enforce it? For example Lybia has a gov't commercial fishing fleet overseen by Khadafi's kid. Does anyone think he's not going to keep catching and selling BFT's because of a ban? Until there is a way to enforce this and actively punish violators this is nothing but a paper tiger.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If a country does not sign on to the ban. They are given a quota. Same thing is happening with the whales and Japan. Also the ban is on trade? Now the US can't import and would have to buy from the Mass. and NC guys thus driving the price up? Atleast thats how it was explained to me? I've also heard, not 100 % sure but The us eats alot more tuna then Japan. We just buy the cheap flash frozen stuff?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I'd like to believe that this is a step in the right direction, but I'm scared that
PEW may use this as an excuse to tighten our existing bluefin quotas. I can just see someone from NMFS saying something like...
" In light of the proposal to ban international trade of Bluefin tuna, we feel that the United States should set an example for other nations by further reducing the local limits..."

NMFS has lied to us in the past - not to mention the use of faulty data. I just see this as a "excuse" to justify reducing local catch limits.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
bear if fuel hit 7 a gal i wouldn't ever fish on a boat again :) the surf would be so packed you won't be able to stand

Amen, and they would be of 0 value....

my surfboards would get more time...:)

I hope this is a good thing. As all rules this too would be broken but I still think alot less fish would be harvested in general...

Purse seiners seem to be the devil...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The problem with the listing is that countries like Japan have already come out and said they will not endorse nor abide by it. Same for many of the countries in the Med.

I am all for stopping the overfishing of bluefin, but I just don't see how listing them on anything that has the word 'endangered' in it won't make it extremely easy for our government to stop fishing for them (both commercial and recreational) all together. Especially with the way the closings of other fisheries have been going lately :huh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.