·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to post these links concerning
the tagging program at ALS...The Topic
Came Up Not To Long Ago,And This Is For Those
Who Were Interested...
Here is the Tag Info Page and the Home Page..
ALS Tagging Information
ALS Home Page

Thanks,,,

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Send those tags in I tagged 1340 fish this year including 350 stripers, 414 Fluke, 250 Bluefish,240 Sea Bass (at request of Woods Hole)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Bucktail Willie, that's over $800 in tags according to the ALS site. I release 99% of my fish and would be interested in tagging my fish. With the cost of gas, etc. I'm not looking to spend another $1,000 a year. I know that in the long run it is in my own interest but it still alot of $$$

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Fully understand but for me it is a chartiable donation that results in a tax deduction and along the way I provide some data to Scientist
But I understand your point on cost.
I don't ask many people to tag fish ,I just ask them to spend the 37 cents and send a recovered tag back in with the data
I'm targeting 1500 fish next year

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Several years ago I spoke to a scientist counting sharks in Delaware Bay. He was catching and tagging neonates primarily but did occasionally tag larger fish. I explained to him that I catch many Brownies and that I would be willing to tag all the ones I release. He turned me on to ALS and I must admit, not only were they less than helpful but they made it too difficult to dothe work efficiently. They said that they would send me 3 tags at a time, and there was a cost associated with the tags. 3 Tags would not even get me through a half a trip!

In the end I scrapped the whole idea as it was just not so user friendly. The sad part is that there would have been over 400 Brown sharks out there with my tags in them.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I think they are much more cooperative today but sharks haven't been a priority.Priorities are set by Scientist at Woods Hole.
Current priorities are Stripers,Fluke,Wekafish,Bluefish ,and Sea Bass.
I think Blackfish will be added.
I've tagged a few sharks but not many.
I think there are a couple other programs targeting Sharks but not sure

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Buying tags from ALS is putting money in the pockets of those who wish to shut down fishing. ALS is not the organization it used to be.

Try finding another tagging program to support.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Thank you Egghead I couldn't have said it better.
Although you think you are doing a seemingly good job to help count fish and track them you are being fooled. The data that is collected is twisted and turned so ocean conservative groups can say there no more fish. For each tag that gets a patch counts for so many fish. I think 50 fish = one patch. Then they have different money values on tags ranging from 50.00 to 150.00. When those money fish are sent in they count them as 500 and 1000. Half baked scientist dreaming up a way to get a grant while the data they collect goes and get all twisted.
I'm all for saying the fish Remember fish is not only my future it my living. I need stocks to be good to make a living. This isn't helping it is really hurting.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting,,,,I didn't know this,, Thx......

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Although you think you are doing a seemingly good job to help count fish and track them you are being fooled. The data that is collected is twisted and turned so ocean conservative groups can say there no more fish. For each tag that gets a patch counts for so many fish. I think 50 fish = one patch. Then they have different money values on tags ranging from 50.00 to 150.00. When those money fish are sent in they count them as 500 and 1000. Half baked scientist dreaming up a way to get a grant while the data they collect goes and get all twisted.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.
These tagging studies in some cases have been going on for about 80 years. I am confident that when the science-types weight(?) these tags they are pretty good at it.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
45 comebacks so far in 2004
11 from 2003
9 from 2002

total comebacks lifetime on 7500 fish tagged is 382 ,just over 5% from every state from Maine to North Carolina
ALS is not out to close down fishing BUT they are dedeicated to saving the wetlands that spawn and protect juvenile fish so we can continue to catch the larger fish
I have seen how the data is used mostly by Woods Hole and I for one am thankful for all their work in identifying trends.
IF ASMFS used more of Woods Hole data they would have much better data to based their decisions on

EGGHEAD-- in all due respect for your ability you need to get better facts. ALS is working for US RECREATIONAL fisherman,on the commercial side another story.
If you want an education go look at the results on Snook, redfish, and trout in Florida once gill netting was banned

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Sorry, Willie.
It is time to take a closer look at ALS.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm all for data collection, from an information standpoint tagging is invaluable for understanding. But I believe I know where ALS got the recent bad rap from the rec community. As I recall it was ALS who wanted to make it very hard for subway cars to be used for reefs. Please correct me if I am wrong as I do believe their intentions are altruistic. I just recall them being a little overly idealistic regarding that matter and that may be why some think of them as the opposition to rec fishing.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Regarding data, regardless of how they twist the final outcome of the data they openly publish the raw information which you may analyze at your own discretion.

Where tagged/Where recaught info such as this is not twisted when presented in this manner because no conclusions are drawn.

See some tagging archives for yourself, they are rather interesting.
http://www.littoralsociety.org/Data%20Archive.htm

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
BW : Seems like you have something that maybe you would like to share about gillnets. Please by all means do. I've traveled this road many times but I haven't for awhile so please enlighten us. Are ya sure that those stocks have rebounded, or is it just that you have been led to believe that they have rebounded.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Fishpicker---been there seen the recovery
I have nothing against gillnets when used properly. I would rather see gill netters than Trawls wiping out whole generations.
Florida gill netters (from what I was told)were focusing on narrow waterways and spawning fish and almost wiped out snook, trout and redfish.
the abuse got gill netting banned by the voters of florida.
Now I would not encouage a ban but do want to see more control and closed seasons .
You guys have to make a living and it is hard work I just don't want to see fish stocks eliminated.
I've met some fine gill netters who respect the business and the fish and I've also met some less than desireable gill netters who only care about making a buck and once a particular stock is wiped out they move to the next stock.
This isn't just a New Jersey thing ,outlaws are a problem on entire East Caost.
I see you love bunker,I have a problem with the bunker slaughter BUT the slaughter isn't the result of gill netters but the BIG factory ships that wipe out entire schools.
FISHPICKER--hope this better explains my position

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
ALS was in support of NOT putting in Subway cars and I think their reasons were sound .
DID YOU EVER STOP TO THINK WHY NEW YORK REFUSED TO TAKE ANY OF THESE SUBWAY CARS ?
I'm all for the reef program but think concrete or very thick metal is the better choice.
Here again ALS was looking out for ocean habitat and not trying to eliminate fishing.
New York was real happy to dump all the cars on other states,makes one wonder what they knew ?

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Ask ALS about their stance on Freedom to Fish.
Ask the me about the bill they had introduced about prohibiting motors in back bays.

Research the background of Ted Dillingham(?).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts