BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down to start getting the boat ready today and stopped by harborview marina to see how many boats were in. As I walked past the cleaning tables something caught my eye in the water. There were 32(that I counted) nice size drumfish and stripers just dumped into the bay. They were sitting in about a foot of water, but I could see that almost none of them had the fillets cut off them. These were some nice size fish...at least 2 stripers that were pushing 40" and the drum appeared to range from 20-50lbs.
My guess is the game warden caught someone and made them dump the fish, but I thought the fish were confiscated. Anyone else see this or know what happened?

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
IF SOMEONE KNOWS WHO IT WAS THEY SHOULD LET ONE OF US KNOW WITHOUT USING THERE NAME SO THESE PEOPLE ARE KNOWN ,THAT IS A DISGRACE.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Some people are too cheap to invest in digital camera. I dock at Harborview. Didn't see it, but have seen drum dumped before. Guys get these big drum fish drag them in and then start asking who wants them amd then find how difficult they are to clean. It's the mental thing. Guys can't prove they had fun unless the kill and bring it in. Some day they will understand catch and release what you can't use. It is the fishing that it fun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What a waste!! There is nothing wrong with catch and release if you don't intend on eating... who ever did that is a real tool! A stupid move we all pay for in the long run.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Originally posted by barrell:
The warden doesnt dump confiscted fish at the dock.
Agree,

My Wife used to work for the D.E.C. new york. They would never dump illegal fish near or in a in a harbor area.

Offshore maybe,If it was not needed as evidence.

She was with the animal control before that they would take confisgated kills to state run insinorateres and burn them.

Sometimes she could bring home or give away the animal. But that was kept Quiet. Heck they would just insiorate them anyway.

Beside some of those fish where 40". Most likely it was some shmuck or somone who forgot about them in the cooler and came back to a smelly mess. :( :(

·
Registered
785 Posts
THAT IS F***** UP. I KNOW I DON'T FORGET ABOUT A 40' IN THE COOLER IF A AM BLESSED ENOUGH TO GET ONE.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
freezorburn, Until the person who recives a ticket settles the case evidence is retained in the freezer. Only then it would be disposed of and not on private property.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
That just plain out blows. What a disgrace. I don't keep that many fish at all, and if I do I put it to good use. I eat it, give some to my dad and elderly neighbors, and the carcasses even go in my crab traps. If you don't eat it and already have killed it, give it to someone. They'll love it. Don't waste a good resource for nothing. It's like peeing in your bath water.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Once the pieces fall apart in the trap and no longer are legal size you can not use them.There arent many crab traps with bait holders 28 inches long.
Barrell

1 - 20 of 23 Posts