BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do do you leave you anchor gear un-attended in the canyons? Wouldn't it be nice if you could keep the gear in the canyons for the entire season?

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
It can be hard enough keeping your gear when it is attatched to your boat, let alone, left out there where it may be in the way of a squidder. :D

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
ericw said:
How long do do you leave you anchor gear un-attended in the canyons? Wouldn't it be nice if you could keep the gear in the canyons for the entire season?
thats a great idea. why dont you try it and let me know how it works out:)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
In a perfect world, what you're talking about would be convenient and a great idea. But at the least, Mother Nature is going to conspire against you, not to mention the commercial shipping traffic.

But worse, you can expect someone to come along and "squat" on your site, tieing up to your gear and maybe even taking it. Once when we were chunking for tuna at the Hambone off MD in 2001, we went off the ball to fight a bluefin. We came back about 20 minutes later to the GPS number I had saved while on the hook only to find a boat tied up to my anchor ball !! I'm not making this **** up. :mad:

The guy tried to ignore us until I got literally 5 feet alongside his POS and then tried to deny it, that it was his gear. Thank heavens I had used a Magic Marker to write CATCH-ALL all over that ball in big letters. It was only when I got on VHF 16 trying to raise the USCG when the asswipe grudgingly cast off from my gear. The whole fleet gave him **** on air and in person until he finally skulked off into the west.

Catch

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pro

LOL...thats funny

Eric

I was thinking of a barge on the 100 with dancing girls and a fully stocked liquor store...maybe ice and flats of butters/sardines and live squid (since we're out here all night anyway right?) give them girls a net and earn their keep!!! just busting your chops man. It would be nice if there were balls to tie off to like in the keys. But Pro is right, they'll be on ebay in a week...

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
It would also be 100% illegal !!!!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Isn't that what the lobster pots are for:D (only kidding)
When I was fishing out in Kona years ago,there was a barge that was moored on the edge,they took you out and you fished of the deck.It had a snack bar,etc.The used a drum off of a concrete truck for the mooring bouy.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
GBowman2 said:
FP

The gear or the girls???

The Gear ,,,,, Mammals..... Vertical lines must have mammal and turtle approved week links or break away gear.

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Eric
Great in theory practicality though is a big nope. Have left stuff in the mudhole for a couple days but nothing long term. Heck, I tried to anchor a couple cans of chum out there once and came back to find it gone the very next morning... Poly ball, rope, anchor, chum... All gone...
Thats what you have Colin for let him put it out and bring it back when youre done.
Now one idea if its not crowded is to set your stuff during the day and then simply tie up as its getting dark. That would work fine...:)

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Bob ECT said:
You can't even leave a crab trap unattended without someone stealing it.
I never saw your name on it... Sorry... I'll put it right back...:)

Down here anyone caught touching another mans gear would be dealt with very harshly...:eek:

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
on the same page i always wanted nail like 10 pallets together and anchor them up out on the ridge or something...would put up a radar reflector on a pole on each corner...mayby even a solar powered navigation light....to me it's a great idea but would never work....oh well back to dreamland:D

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
gettinwet said:
on the same page i always wanted nail like 10 pallets together and anchor them up out on the ridge or something...would put up a radar reflector on a pole on each corner...mayby even a solar powered navigation light....to me it's a great idea but would never work....oh well back to dreamland:D
A Sunday New York Times makes a pretty good temporary weed line though...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Bob ECT said:
You can't even leave a crab trap unattended without someone stealing it.
Had that happen to me behind SIC/Avalon, had my name all over two traps and some F%$^ing A##hole took them. But carma is a B*&^:mad:

Now I'm pissed again, I thought I was over it!

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
gettinwet said:

People actually do that, I have seen them. saw one last year made of foam pool toys. seriously. near 20 line east of the 19f lump.

and no there werent any fish under it.

and i like the NEWSPAPER weed line idear.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Fishpicker said:
The Gear ,,,,, Mammals..... Vertical lines must have mammal and turtle approved week links or break away gear.

How do they work picker?

saw a huge dead turtle tangled up in those pots just SE of 5fb last year
look like it was dead for a while..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe someone is missing a business opportunity.. a company that sells mooring spots in the canyons? I know it can't work logistically..

With the barge with woman, squid, and beer. Can we land a helicopter to avoid the long boat ride?

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
sucuse8 said:
sorry for my ignorance, but i never did the offshore thing. What would you be leaving out there?
an anchor attached to a poly ball on the surface, so instead of halling or winching 2000' of rode every trip, you can come back to your ball and simply tie up.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts