BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another question that may be "stupid" but I'm interested in your thoughts. When I head out, should I be anchoring near the sod banks or drifting? I don't have a trolling motor so I'm leaning toward anchor. I'll be in one spot, but the engine won't be scaring everything when I have to move every couple minutes. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
You can anchor if you want, if you find a really nice spot. Usually the boats I've been in putt along the banks in neutral, about 50ft or more out. It doesn't scare the fish too much, as a lot of banks are undercut. A trolling motor would be ideal, though. If you get the right wind or current, you can always cut the motor and dead drift. I do that in my kayak if it's good out there. You always want to be moving down the bank, unless you're in a nice creek mouth or something. If a fish hasn't hit your fly within a couple of casts, and you don't see any life in the area, there probably isn't a fish there. No use in sticking around. It's good to drift an entire long bank then come back around and do it again. Tidal changes will shift the fish around, and where they weren't before they may be now.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Motor doesn't spook them too much in the deeper water, but when you are in 3 to 4 feet, I would try to find a spot with a good drift or find a point with a little rip. You could anchor there and cast across the rip line and wait for some fish. Sooner or later some fish will sit in the rip and be looking for some bait. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
This is the best question I"ve seen in a long time. I let it go for a day or two to see if anyone would respond. Methinks you are getting around. I have tried poling & staking, electric, fouled anchor to slow drift,dragging a chain& anchoring. All work & all are not the best. If someone has THE idea, I would be happy to listen. Until then I'll just keep "drifting" along. As I said earlier, I "think" the engine doesn"t spook the bass after dark, which is a help. Hope we get some "usable" responces to this as it is my #1 question, & I'm running out of people to ask. Ron

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
INteresting thought about fouling the anchor. Coming from a background that was either offshore or surf fishing I never had the occasion to use an achor. How would I foul it to slow the drift? If I get the right current and wind I'd love to try it. I use a fluke anchor. I guess to foul it I would bind it in a vertical postion using rope or duct tape?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Electric motor is worth every penny. I have an auto pilot one form Minnkota with a rist control and it is great. Worked tonight in 5 foot of water with current. twenty feet form the bank and it didn't spook the fish. We were catching between boat and bank. Anchor would of worked just as well, but we were trying to work a 100 yard long strip.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Sorry, I forgot one more. In the 70's George Cornish had a system that worked well for him. He used a grapple anchor with a large reel, with light anchor rode mounted near the stern. He would let the drag slowely slip so the boat would ease down the bank. I've tried this, but haven't got it right.

Ray down south they talk of keeping the electric motor on, as off & on seems to alert fish. Thoughts on this?? Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I've been on Ray's boat enough times to notice that turning the trolling motor on and off doesn't make much of a difference. If a loud engine putting along the banks doesn't spook them, why would the vibrations from a silent motor spook them? The fish are usually still there to be caught
. Stripers aren't the most skittish fish out there, like bones or permit, so a little racket won't spook them away from a good sod bank. It may spook them on a shallow flat, though. If anything, someone slamming a hatch or dropping a tackle box on the floor of the boat will do the most damage to the spot.

[ 07-01-2004, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Originally posted by sparse grey:
Sorry, I forgot one more. In the 70's George Cornish had a system that worked well for him. He used a grapple anchor with a large reel, with light anchor rode mounted near the stern. He would let the drag slowely slip so the boat would ease down the bank. I've tried this, but haven't got it right.

Ray down south they talk of keeping the electric motor on, as off & on seems to alert fish. Thoughts on this?? Ron
Funny you said that because before I got to your post I was going to say that. I learned from freshwater bass fishing to keep the electric motor on if possible. On/off all the time is what spooks fish. I have been on shallow freshwater flats where the fish just sit there as I go slowly along. When eratic.on/off..the fish scatter so maybe there is some truth. Kind of like 100 cars driving by a deer but if you stop...they are off like a rocket. Fish can feel you throw a penny in the water so anything you do will impact their behavior whether good or bad. I like to drift along the sod banks with the current...if it is slow enough. Sometimes I leave the trolling motor on steady and go against the current. I have a push pole so if I am in water under ten foot and want to stop I just stake out real quick. Conditions will dictate what you can do. My favorite....anchoring because there is fish busting on a flat or in lights all around you! If you see fish busting the surface approach slow and steady and stake out or quietly drop anchor. If you spook them just give it a bit and they will usually be back.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Originally posted by Fly Ty R:
If anything, someone slamming a hatch or dropping a tackle box on the floor of the boat will do the most damage to the spot.
Exactley...or THROWING the anchor in as the chain slides down your rub rail.....oof!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great information. I'm heading down to the shore tomorrow and will give these tactics a try. I think fouling the anchor might be best because it seems the winds along the sodbank I want to try are never cooperative. Perhaps I can cover some ground a bit more slowly this way. I also have a 19 foot boat so the chain for the anchor is only about 6 feet so it'll be the rope rubbing the rails.

It looks like the ideal solution is the trolling motor. I just got my boat this year and opted for the outboard warranty over the trolling motor, so unless I can somehow find a bunch of money in a fish I catch, it'll have to wait until next season.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I made a grapple hook with a 6ft. rope works real well on my 16ft. jon boat.I just hook it to the sod bank.Easy to use and I can get out and walk the sod and cast paralel to it.I find most fish within a few feet of the sod anyway.I think paralel casting is better no matter how your fishing.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I turn my motor on an off all the time. I haven't noticed any big problem. Uusually keep it at a low speed so there is not much noise. Until it effects the fishing it will be on and off for me. Some times in shallow water the boat itself will spook the fish not the motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts