BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting,
Just trying to get a game plan going for the first trip of the season and i have a question for the Veterans of the game.
I plan to mainly anchor with the Clams, but i was wondering if while Anchored i could cast a line with bucktail or Bloodworms and work a slow retrieval. will this simulate working a drift? Is this a good way to work both aspects. And any recommendations on dressing up the Bucktail with anything?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Dean-
my hope would be that one you get the clam going and your baits in the water- that you wouldn't have a ton of time for the bucktail thing.

But- as they say- you never know unless you go... so give it a shot. Good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
You might get lucky with bucktails but IMO are mostly for structure related applications. The bay will be filling with bunker etc. shortly. I would recommend livin' eyes in the rainbow trout pattern or wild eyes in the bunker pattern while anchored. Seems to me to be a more "match the hatch" application.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Deanald:

You might want to consider a trip aboard the Stalker or the AB3. The Captains, Skip and Adam, have purrrrfected the art of bucktailing.

These guys are the masters......

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Well I would say that the bucktail thing could work. One day this past fall we had an absolutely gorgeous day in the rips fishing with bucktails. Now keep in mind we were in the rips where there is lots of structure like lockjaw said. Anyway point of the story, it was slack tide. And I mean we were not moving at all. While everyone else was taking a break to get themselves something to eat and drink I continued to fish from the bow with the bucktail. We were right on top of where the rip line was that was holding the fish so I casted beyond it and slowly retrieved. I was catching fish all through slack tide this way. My guess is if you find the fish and they are on the bite this could totally work. That day it seemed as though we could do no wrong. Good luck and post some reports!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts