BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Anchorage May 21st for buisness. Would like to chase some King Salmon while I'm there. Anyone have any tips? Guide to use, tackle to bring etc. Never been to Alaska so any input would be awesome. I figure get a guide first, then maybe venture out on my own. Maybe just book two days with a guide?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sud-Z, By no means am I an expert but I have gone to Canada and a few trips to NY. I dont think it matters where you are going just take alittle time and do some reasearch. You can go to Fishing guides in Ancorage and get alot of info. I will recommend a guide. When you are limited to only a few days its hard to put it all together. Most people can figure things out on there own but it takes alittle time to do so, my vote would be for you to contact a guide. Good Luck and be safe. TJ

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hire a guide. :thumbsup: You'll be better off not having to worry about everything you'll need to set up your solo trip. Limited time, resources and local knowledge would spell a wasted fishing trip in my book. I went to Alaska for two weeks with my brother and his friends and they were familiar with the area and we still had a tough time getting fish. It will be an experience of a life time. It's an awesome place and they have big bears!!:eek: Enjoy and send the fish home because its soooo good. Try fishing for Halibut too because you can catch some monsters!

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
I'm going to Anchorage May 21st for buisness. Would like to chase some King Salmon while I'm there. Anyone have any tips? Guide to use, tackle to bring etc. Never been to Alaska so any input would be awesome. I figure get a guide first, then maybe venture out on my own. Maybe just book two days with a guide?
i did the trip on 7 different occasions, a couple of things, first that is too early for kings, you have to go closer to july, and second you will need to drive to a river such as as the kenai which is about a 2 1/2 hour ride from anchorage, i caught a 58lb king myself without a guide last july, that was my biggest to date :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
May is early for kings, but you may be in time for halibut down on the kenai. If you are a freshwater guy the kinai should be hot for rainbows and dolly varden char. Get the recent edition of Grey's Sporting Journal, the annual guides and "expeditions" annual edition. There may be steelheads on the Alaska peninsula in the rivers, which are a quick flight out of Anchorage. I have taken 5 trips of 1 to 2 weeks to Alaska and love it. You shouldn't waste the opportunity by going without a guide or by fishing in the streams in Anchorage itself, which are pretty grungy. The kings are the first salmon in the rivers, but there may be any or all of the 5 Pacific salmon available for trolling out of the various ports.If you can add a few days to your trip and do it right, all the better. As the other poster said, the only real question is whether you are a little early for decent fishing. My tris were all from late July to early September.One thing for sure, if you get out of the city you will love it. I have fished, at various times, Ketchikan, the village of King Salmon on the Alaskan Peninsula, Katmai, Dinali and the Central valley, and the Kenai. If you can do a floatplane insert, right out of Lake Hood field in Anchorage, you'll get to some beautiful places. Good luck

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
May is early for kings, but you may be in time for halibut down on the kenai. If you are a freshwater guy the kinai should be hot for rainbows and dolly varden char. Get the recent edition of Grey's Sporting Journal, the annual guides and "expeditions" annual edition. There may be steelheads on the Alaska peninsula in the rivers, which are a quick flight out of Anchorage. I have taken 5 trips of 1 to 2 weeks to Alaska and love it. You shouldn't waste the opportunity by going without a guide or by fishing in the streams in Anchorage itself, which are pretty grungy. The kings are the first salmon in the rivers, but there may be any or all of the 5 Pacific salmon available for trolling out of the various ports.If you can add a few days to your trip and do it right, all the better. As the other poster said, the only real question is whether you are a little early for decent fishing. My tris were all from late July to early September.One thing for sure, if you get out of the city you will love it. I have fished, at various times, Ketchikan, the village of King Salmon on the Alaskan Peninsula, Katmai, Dinali and the Central valley, and the Kenai. If you can do a floatplane insert, right out of Lake Hood field in Anchorage, you'll get to some beautiful places. Good luck

my halibut fishing was out of ninilchik, about an hour from the kenai

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Alaska

I lived in Alaska from 1996-1999 and I highly recommend a good guide. You are going a long distance and want to catch fish and being 5 miles away in the wrong spot can make your trip a bust. If you have never been there make sure you get a beer at Humpies (not a strip club) and get breakfast at Gwenies which has by far the best reindeer sausage in Alaska.

Check out the web sites for fishing and I wish you the best of luck. I believe if yoyu were going to Sitka you would have a good shot at Kings but that is another flight from Anchorage. Many smaller dolly vardin around but I think you can get winter kings down ner Homer at Anchor Point if I remember correctly.

Good Luck

Capt Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.