BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
yes, bunker. put the head on the hook and chum with the bodies. fishfinder, spro swivel, 36"30# flouro leader, 6/0-8/0 gamakatsu circle. i use same for eels with a 5/0 and let 'em hook themselves with the drag engaged in the rodholder. i'm not really a big bait fisherman, so others should have more extensive knowledge or differ in opinion, maybe they'll chime in.

questions about anchors themselves are boring to most people, myself included. while an important safety and seamanship issue, the response will be tepid at best. maybe you should title it "chunking questions" or "chumming questions" or something like that to elicit a greater response ;)

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I was chumming with clam bellies a few times last fall. Caught a lot of junk, 1 short bass and a lot of skates. The rig was a 3 way swivel, 1 foot leader for the sinker, 3 ft leader for the hook (size 6 octups gama)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Chris,
I've had about equal success for stripers with clam and bunker chum. (Although it works out in Del Bay, I've had almost no luck around LBI chunking bunker.) Bunker heads and chum seems to have gotten me larger fish, but maybe not as many as clams and clam chum. In either case, I usually hang the cum pot from the bow and sink it about 4'-6' or so.

I'll usually fish my two outside rods with fishfinders and bunker head on one and a large body chunk on the other. Both with about a 2' 30# leader and both with about 6oz or 8oz to keep them planted off and to the sides of the boat, but I keep one line somewhat taught and let the other have some slack to get the bait further away from the sinker. On two other rods I'll use 3 way swivels and about half the weight to fish them straight off the back. Again I'll use different length leaders (30#) and dropper loops unitl I find something that works. Usually about a 30" leader and a 10"-12" dropper to the sinker works well.

For bunker I like about a 7/0 hook, but I make sure that the hook is fairly exposed in my baits. The bass don't seem to be hook shy.

After the first 45 mins, I change something every 20 mins or 1/2 hour until I start to figure out what's working that day.

Keep in mind that the moving current is a big factor in this type of fishing. Once the current slows I move onto some other spot or to some other strategy.

I will take a similar approach when fishing with clams, but I dowsize to about a 5/0 hook and I'll usually fish a live bait in the slick as well.

good luck.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
There were some big yellow eyes in the inlet late yesterday afternoon. We got one nice striper and 2 big blues right before the sun went down. I will be out there at some point tomorrow to give it another whirl.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THANKS FOR THE INFO! WENT OUT ON SATURDAY FEELING OPTIMISTIC. WEATHER NEVER LAID DOWN. IF YOU THINK YOU WERE GETTING A SLICK...HAHAHA!WENT THROUGH THE INLET WICH HAD TWO TOURNEMENTS FISHING TO GO TO A COUPLE OF DROP OFFS NEAR BEACH HAVEN. NADA. TRIED EELS AND BUNCKER. I DID THOUGH GET MY LIMIT OF SEAWEED FOR THE YEAR! WEATHER TURNED REALLY BAD IN ABOUT 15 MINS SO WE LEFT. WATER TEMP 54.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.