BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older style fluke anchor and for the most part it works and set good, sometimes it doesn't set tho. Do the plow style ones work better? I really only use it on the reefs in 60' (+/-). I'm also tired of losing and trying to get a wreck anchor to set in small pieces of of a wreck or reef and was thinking of going with two off the bow. Does anyone have any pros or cons to two up front instead of one off the bow and a wreck anchor off the stern? Any advice, commets or concerns are greatly apperated, thanks.:)

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
On days when I'm being lazy (usually when I'm alone) I use one plow off the front, and it holds fine.

On days when I feel like doing it right (usually when I have company), I put two plows off the front and fish the wreck the right way.

Two anchors off the front is really the only "right" way to do it. :thumbsup:

I've used (and lost!) both plows and danforths on wrecks, and the plows work better in my experience. Most of my wreck fishing is 65' or a 100'.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always have someone onboard with me, and rather do it right. I was never too fond of having anything going off the stern, it just don't seam like the safest thing to do... I was also kicking around the idea of mounting two rollors on the bow so their always ready when I need them. Anyone ever do this on a smaller boat?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I have an older style fluke anchor and for the most part it works and set good, sometimes it doesn't set tho. Do the plow style ones work better? I really only use it on the reefs in 60' (+/-). I'm also tired of losing and trying to get a wreck anchor to set in small pieces of of a wreck or reef and was thinking of going with two off the bow. Does anyone have any pros or cons to two up front instead of one off the bow and a wreck anchor off the stern? Any advice, commets or concerns are greatly apperated, thanks.:)
How thick are the tines of your wreck anchor? 5/16 is about the max you want to use.
A lightweight Danforth type fluke anchor is better in sand than a plow. 2 off the bow is the best.
So to help it set better:
-Move up one size danforth
-Add more chain length and/or diameter
-Use more scope.
-Make sure you use proper technique

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Most days I just use 1 anchor but I will use 2 if the piece is really small or I'm expecting the wind to change. I believe using an achor ball is key to keep from losing your anchor when you go to retrieve it. I stuck my anchor twice last season, once because I rushed the setup and dropped it into another piece, the second was at the GSN reef and my anchor broke loose,probably due to short scope. I have a 21" and use 600' of 3/8 line 15' of 3/8 chain and a 13# hooker and it usually sets quickly. My 2nd anchor has several sections of rode that I can put together to provide any scope. I found some canvas laundry bags at Ikea for storing the rope and they work great. Putting 2 anchors off my bow would look cool but would probably be impratical I definately don't have room for 2 anchor rodes in my locker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts