BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been boat shopping and my wife likes the looks (and the price tag) of the 29 Aquasports. I know they are gas motors, but told her I would look into them. So, do they really have canyon range, how do they ride, how fast do they cruise etc please guys.......

·
Registered
179 Posts
Been boat shopping and my wife likes the looks (and the price tag) of the 29 Aquasports. I know they are gas motors, but told her I would look into them. So, do they really have canyon range, how do they ride, how fast do they cruise etc please guys.......
Just picked one up last year. I really like the boat (esp for the price), but haven't had it out to the canyon yet. That said, I did make the trip from Raritan to Cape May with only one stop in Squan w/ plenty of fuel capacity, so I anticipate a canyon run this year (335 gal tank in mine). Boat has a nice wide beam and w/ the mod V hull is great on the drift.

Some caveats:

1) the boat is slow. w/ crusader 270s I'm looking at an 18 kt cruise (will be working on tuneups and prop selection this spring).
2) get floscanss if not already equipped, esp if you're looking at one w/ big blocks.
3) the bot is a bit of a wet ride in a head sea -- you'll be keeping the enclosure zipped up.
4) people have claimed that it pounds in a head sea -- I have not run into that yet (perhaps a weight distribution issue).

Honestly, if I had the $$$$$ I would have looked for an Albe or even Blackfin w/ Diesels, but for the price I cannot complain at all about the Aquasport.

·
Registered
14,117 Posts
My brother had a 29 aquasport. Decent fishing boat, but a pig on gas. Boat got about 3/4 of a mile per gallon, even with fine tuned engines, a floscan, and going at a moderate speed. Canyon boat? No, not unless the canyons are close by. Furthest offshore we ever went from Sandy Hook was the Glory Hole. My brother was happy the boat was totaled by Hurricane Sandy. Moved up to a 33 Bertram.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had a 86' 29 Aquasport. Did not have Canyon range unless you had a bladder bag. It was a pig on gas. I did like the boat. Not crazy about the side exhaust and it was a little wet.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Inboard gas doesn't belong in the canyons.

Inboard diesel
Outboard gas

Stay with those two and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Inboard gas doesn't belong in the canyons.

Inboard diesel
Outboard gas

Stay with those two and you'll be fine.
Honest question here (not trying to argue at all): If a gas inboard boat has larger tank capacity versus a similar diesel boat (i.e., 250 gal diesel, vs 325 gal gas), giving it the same practical range, would you still say the gas boat "doesn't belong?" If so, why?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I'll share a little bit about our situation when we were at your stage.

My brother and I were young, we made a couple trips to the 20 line in our Sea Ray Amberjack. It had V8 gas. It wasn't terrible but then again, the trips usually were only roundtrip 60 miles. The time came to upgrade and my father was kicking around the idea of IB gas expresses.

29 A-sport
28 Albe's with I think they were I/O gas
etc.

I was pretty into it at that age and did all this research. Diesel burn vs gas burn, all sorts of calculations, etc.

Long story short, he went with a custom 30' express with twin Volvo diesels. Truth be told, the boat was a polished turd. Looked nice but was the wettest boat I've EVER come across in my lifetime. We immediately started looking for a new express. We were between an Albe 30 and a Proline 33. You can see which way we went.

One thing wasn't even a FACTOR in the discussion...diesel all the way.

If our circumstances changed, I'd consider OB CC's as well. They are amazing machines now.

But yeah...do yourself a favor, go IB diesel or OB gas (efficient ones). You don't want to have a boat you can't unload later on. People don't like IB gas motors.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Honest question here (not trying to argue at all): If a gas inboard boat has larger tank capacity versus a similar diesel boat (i.e., 250 gal diesel, vs 325 gal gas), giving it the same practical range, would you still say the gas boat "doesn't belong?" If so, why?

Thanks.
Explosion risk, reliability, longevity.

You can submerge a diesel half way in water and it will keep running. Gas fires off spark plugs. That electrical system gets wet, adios.

OB's take the motors out from under the decks where gas vapors are. So explosion risk is reduced. They still IMO are not as rugged as diesels but are GREAT motors now and take guys to the canyons no problem at all.

Besides, what you explained is like robbing peter to pay paul. You're getting a bigger tank, to hold more fuel, only to have a motor that BURNS more fuel. Keep in mind your burn is proportionate to how much weight you carry as well. As you burn off more fuel you run more efficiently.

Gas IB's just aren't even in our vocabulary anymore. I want something thats going to get me home to my family. Not a ticking time bomb with one hell of an appetite.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Don't forget diesel at speed you are turning 2000 and gas is up over 3000 so it has to work a lot harder. I really think 29 is a bit small for that ride but others disagree. Won't see me in canyons that small. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had a 28 Chris Craft Flybridge with twin 5.7L Vortecs. The boat cruised at 22kts burning close to 30 gph. .7nmpg was really a limiting factor. Not so much as far as fuel capacity goes, but how it hit the pocketbook. I would make a 50 mile round trip to go bottom fishing and burn 80-85 gallons. That's $350 just for fuel for an inshore bottom fishing trip and you have to add bait and all the other goodies on to that $350.
On those end of fluke season days, where the fluke were moving out to the lumps, I always wanted to run further, but another 10 miles and it was another $50.

I have a 28 Carolina Classic now with Cummins diesels and I am running 24 kts, burning 15-16gph. I am averaging 1.5 nmpg or twice the fuel mileage I was getting with my gas inboards. Plus, diesel was only $3.59 at my dock last year, so I ran longer and further for a lot less money.

jfahystoy, I run a 28 Carolina Classic out to the canyon and it is quite adequate. In fact, you'll see quite a few of them out there. Would I like to be on a 48 Viking or a 42 Henriques, absoutely! But, my budget is limited and the Carolina Classic is a tough boat and is pretty decent on fuel for a 16,000 lb rig.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Don't forget diesel at speed you are turning 2000 and gas is up over 3000 so it has to work a lot harder. I really think 29 is a bit small for that ride but others disagree. Won't see me in canyons that small. Good luck either way.
Sorry but I also disagree. We are looking to upgrade to maybe a 36 but have water issues getting out of our lagoon.

My buddy in his 28 Henriques, and I in my 305 got caught in 8-12's with the occasional monster set going possibly 14-15' coming back from the Toms canyon in October 2 years ago. Both boats took it like champs. Did I wish I had a larger boat? Yes. However, it took it just fine and we don't EVER willingly run in that type of sea.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just some suggestions

if you are shopping price point stay away from boats with big blocks, they are more money to replace and burn more fuel with little gain in this size boat.

in this size and money consider the 28 Bertram, 27 tiara and the 27 albemarle

you have to ask how many canyon trips are you going to make?

one or two a year, then the boat may work for you, if your going to run to Hudson out of say manasquan then it's maybe not the best boat, if your running out of cape may things are a little closer

everyone always says get diesels....well your not going to find many diesel boats for under 30k that are not all clapped out.

If you need more range get a bladder put 50 gallons on the deck and go fishing, everyone screams like chicken little about gas this and gas that.....

·
Registered
811 Posts
In the sub 30ft range I personally like an outboards cc. If I were to consider gas or diesel in an inboard it would be diesel all the way. Moreso from a longevity and resale point of view. Given we had a cold winter, its harder to make the argument on the fuel efficiency front. I know around me, gas is noticeably cheaper than diesel

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would favor diesels as well for the above reason. If you are going gas and outboard. Keep in mind the pre-ethanol boats need to have its fuel line if rubber changed to the newer type. Can be costly if you are not a do it your self-er. Fuel lines being the filler lines to the tank, vent line, supply line to motor and return line back to tank. ALL of THEM. And do not presume the previous owner did it. This is because the old non alcohol lines decay when used with the new fuel. I have seen a parade of horribles at my marina with what the ethanol fuel has done to older gas boats. Just today another set of gas heads came off completely fubared.

·
Registered
648 Posts
With the fuel economy an issue, IMO gas engines are not dangerous if all the well known safety precautions are adhered to. I ran a 25 foot Formula w/ twin Merc 170 4 cylinders to the canyon on more occasions than I can count and never used more than 115 gallons on a full day. Never had a fuel related issue but would not want to do so now with this ethanol crap that Obama has shoved down our throats just to save a bunch of dirt farmers. Take out the ethanol and just give them more money than in the past

·
Registered
695 Posts
a 29' boat is fine to run to the canyons ,you pick good weather days did it over 40 times in my 29' Aquasport and came back in nasty stuff and never had a problem, heck one time i was comming in and the seas were breaking and i reeled in a large sporty and got behind him but he was going so slow that i went around him as he said back at dock they were getting pounded and said i wish i was on your boat .So they are fine to run that far just need to watch the weather and i don't like being out when its too rough any more no that im getting older .We made over 40 trips to the canyons over the last 20 plus years some day trips and many overnighters .We were getting 1.1 -1.2 mpg before they put this ethonol in the gas ,now it knocked my fuel injected engines down to .9 mpg a big difference when you run a long way .I do have my 29' Aquasport for sale it is at bree zee lee in Cape May and i will be down on her
Good Fri. morn./ early afternoon if you want to stop by and say hi and check her out .oh and yes you must slow down in a head sea as she will pound some but other than that good riding boat and great on the drift .These boats have a nice size cockpit .Jeff 610-587-1292 my cell

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think I can comment on this thread :) Been a long time for me boys on on here. I own a 1982 286 Aquasport and I run my boat to the Canyons like people drive to work....Do they use a lot of gas? Hell yea...I hold over 330 gallons and everyone on here that knows me...knows its not enough...there slobs on fuel....speed...well when your loaded up with all that fuel and gear and Ice...your not going to be going to fast...I cruise out at a mean 12 knots and come back at 17 to 19 (from the canyons)..As far as how they handle..Ive been in every Sea possible and been out in some ----..always came home though :) I also have one for sale...I blew an engine last year 82 miles off the coast, along with a Chartplotter and toilet...so Im redoing now. I am putting in a new 330HP reverse rotation engine with all new risers and manifolds along with a Garmin 1020xs with Chirp B75M tranducer and a brand new Johnson toilet to sit your tush on! All this for $14000...She will be in the water in 3 weeks..If she don't sell Ill be out at the canyons waiting for the fish to bite!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.