BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the deal with these Andrus bucktails and who uses them? Till this point I have only used Spro bucktails and mainly for fluke. The bigger fluke love them.:D

I would like to work some from the jetty's for bass so are these the bucktails of choice?

Thanks, Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
there is no finer than andrus.. best bucktails around...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,017 Posts
Andrus and pork, a bass magnet....the jetty casters are supposed to sink slightly slower than the average bucktail,,,hence better from the rocks..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
DJ COAST said:
Andrus and pork, a bass magnet....the jetty casters are supposed to sink slightly slower than the average bucktail,,,hence better from the rocks..
There was an article about Andrus in NJ angler mag a few years ago.He's got fishing with bucktails down to a science.Its amazing the sucess he has with them......I guess they have more hair on them to slow the rate of sinking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,017 Posts
Joe, the hair adds to that and also the jig itself is supposed to be more buoyant, I guess more denser?? Not sure if I got that one right, but I know its something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to have to pick some up. Any suggestions on weight, off of the jettys? I notice they don't make them to heavy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,017 Posts
Actually Mike, I think they go up to 3 or 4oz, but from the rocks I think 1.5oz's is ideal, but this is personal preference and also it may depend on what size gear your using and the conditions. On a Noreaster I know guys who still throw an 1oz to 1.5 oz's barely getting a cast, but getting them right up against the rocks, but others will throw 2-3oz's. I like to throw it in a deep hole, count 5-10 seconds then I real kinda slow and steady rocking the tip up and down, I never stop reeling...but I am not the person for advice on technique with bucktails thats just how I see the guys who are serious about it do it, and what they showed me. I noticed they usually fish them just like a plug. I was used to throwing 1/8-1/4ozers, like how you fishing them for weaks and fluke, slow and bouncing off the bottom, so I started fishing the bigger ones like this for bass, but with less success, and alot of snags. Off the rocks for stripers they seem to fish it more steady and a little quicker. I do know this, there are a few guys who I fish with or around who use the jetty casters 85% of the time, and these guys do outfish me, they all use either pork or curly tails om 1-2ozers. I just like to throw plugs more so I don't have the most experience with em. A good freind of mine who nails them regularily likes to use a black bucktail with a black/orange pork (lobster) at night..hope this helps a bit...djc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJ COAST said:
Actually Mike, I think they go up to 3 or 4oz, but from the rocks I think 1.5oz's is ideal, but this is personal preference and also it may depend on what size gear your using and the conditions. On a Noreaster I know guys who still throw an 1oz to 1.5 oz's barely getting a cast, but getting them right up against the rocks, but others will throw 2-3oz's. I like to throw it in a deep hole, count 5-10 seconds then I real kinda slow and steady rocking the tip up and down, I never stop reeling...but I am not the person for advice on technique with bucktails thats just how I see the guys who are serious about it do it, and what they showed me. I noticed they usually fish them just like a plug. I was used to throwing 1/8-1/4ozers, like how you fishing them for weaks and fluke, slow and bouncing off the bottom, so I started fishing the bigger ones like this for bass, but with less success, and alot of snags. Off the rocks for stripers they seem to fish it more steady and a little quicker. I do know this, there are a few guys who I fish with or around who use the jetty casters 85% of the time, and these guys do outfish me, they all use either pork or curly tails om 1-2ozers. I just like to throw plugs more so I don't have the most experience with em. A good freind of mine who nails them regularily likes to use a black bucktail with a black/orange pork (lobster) at night..hope this helps a bit...djc.
DJ,

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it very much. I didn't know they made the larger size bucktail. The store probably just didn't carry the other sizes. I'll also pick up a few black bucktails for night fishing. Sounds like a good combo with the black/orange uncle josh big boy pork.:D

Thanks, Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
Bucktails are awesome around the rocks, but dont bounce them like you do when you slay flatties. Maybe a little jerk here and there but the bass respond better to a flatter, slower retrieve. Its more natural and they are not striking out of aggressive like a slob flattie is.

The jetty casters are great for working tight to the rocks, but your gonna need a different bucktail to get down in the rip off the tip with a nice current.

RyanF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
RyanF said:
Bucktails are awesome around the rocks, but dont bounce them like you do when you slay flatties. Maybe a little jerk here and there but the bass respond better to a flatter, slower retrieve. Its more natural and they are not striking out of aggressive like a slob flattie is.

The jetty casters are great for working tight to the rocks, but your gonna need a different bucktail to get down in the rip off the tip with a nice current.

RyanF
Yeah,I think Andrus said he gives them a "bump" on every third crank of the reel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
jumpingjoe said:
Yeah,I think Andrus said he gives them a "bump" on every third crank of the reel.
Sounds about right, I like to give them a small one-two inch bump about every third crank and whenever I smack a rock. The rock smack bump is deadly.

RyanF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
I have to say Richard Andrus is about the nicest guy you will meet. He still regularly fishes in NJ since he lives and makes his bucktails right in Millville. I believe he is/was a machinist by trade. I know some of the places and times he fishes so I see him a few times a year. When I first met him, he used to say hello and ask me what was doing, as he made his way out to fish some of the more seriously dangerous places NJ has to offer at night. It used to impress the heck out of me to see this guy, older than my father, making his way out in the dark, across the rocks, with an old rod and taped on Van Staal, going to places I would hesitate to go to. You'll know him when you see him, a real salt of the earth type.

As much as I like throwing plugs from jetties, it was a very good lesson watching Richard throw bucktails into the rough conditions of many Nor'easters with great success. I'm casting my brains out to get a plug out into the water and he is just flicking these things out like it is nothing - he really helped me re-examine what I was doing at a time when I was probably too stuck on throwing plugs. Never forget the power of a bucktail. His bucktails are well made and are a staple in NJ, Montauk Pt. and other places.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,337 Posts
Any sponsers carry these?I've seen guy's use these bucktails here and down on the chesapeak.I never knew the maker was right here in my own backyard.:D Do you only use em out front?I gotta learn more!:eek:

FC:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
They can be hard to come by around here, but I've had pretty solid success with lima bean style bucks too. They're really popular in FL with tarpon anglers because of the way they flutter on the drop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,860 Posts
Most places in Southern NJ carry them including Dick's and many Barn sponsors like Jim's Tackle. I had the priviledge last fall standing next to Rich Andrus and watching him catch one after the other on a white bucktail in a stiff NE dressed in a full wetsuit and corkers. He keeps it simple and is very productive ;) And I would be remiss if I didn't say that his bucktails have also been known to catch bass in the rips.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
Spros are nice, but I'll take an all white Andrus bucktail over a spro any day. Much cheaper, and just as, if not more effective for most species. They "float" in the current better than spros in my opinion which is what you want for bass. Get it down deep enough and just let the current swing it into whatever structure you're fishing. Spros like to dive too much because of the shape of the head which is good for fluke, but I don't really prefer them for bass or weaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,968 Posts


Andrus Bucktails. Day and night in black or white......they're always right:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,017 Posts
eastdivsurfcaster said:
Andrus Bucktails. Day and night in black or white......they're always right:)
Hey that pic looks familiar, that was a great night. Can't wait to do it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
nice blurple set-up, I am still looking for a blurple worm I like. Was it a culprit?

RyanF
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top