BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fishing for TOG at one of my favorite Anglesea rockpiles this TRIGGERFISH grabbed my crab and ran with it. He will taste good tonight.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Saw a baby one of those caught at the Manasquan Inlet today as well. Didn't know what it was at first because I'd never seen one this small. Nice fish!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Bob, Your The Man Down There !!!

Thanks, Nice Trigger

·
Registered
678 Posts
Triggers have been around Cold Spring since late June this year. When we spearfish there, we usually only shoot one or two- skin is so tough it takes forever to get your spear back and get back in the game
They are easy pickings when you dive- just kind of look at you swimming by like they see humans with spearguns every day

[ 09-11-2005, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Never Better ]

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
I never knew they were any good to eat.
Down in the gulf, anytime we would fish the oil rigs, we would have to put on so much weight to make the bait fly past them.

Any time I would catch one, the captain(my uncle) would cuss at me and make me put on more weight. LOL

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
West Ave Mike, No, I didn't enter it in the Cape May County Contest. I know of at least 5 or 6 others being caught that were bigger. Of course I'm not sure any of them were entered either. In any case, it's too late now. He was delicious.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Bob,

I only ask because three years ago I caught a similar sized Trigger in Ocean City and weighed it at the Seagull Shop. Lucky for me, Bud entered it in the contest (I didn't even know they had a category for Triggerfish) and I won a Penn reel.

Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
Caught a bunch down in the keys on a party boat. Captain said they don't taste so hot because they eat so much calcium rich food (mainly coral). Then a friend of mine from up here said they're delicious. Next one I get I'll try it.

What's it taste like? Fluke? Tautog? Seabass?

·
Registered
55 Posts
caught a trigger last week in aug. out front of cold springs 4.75 lbs.entered in cape may tour. last year biggest was 4.15 lbs. caught it on a live bluefish drifting for fluke

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JerseyJoeC, A lot of people ask what something tastes like. The standard answer is "CHICKEN". Well, TRIGGERFISH does not taste like chicken. It's really hard to explain but I'll try. It is a firm white meat kind of similar to TOG but more firm. And it does taste good. I don't keep small TRIGGERS but anything over about 2 1/2 lbs
and he goes in the cooler.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Originally posted by MargaritaVille:
I never knew they were any good to eat.
Down in the gulf, anytime we would fish the oil rigs, we would have to put on so much weight to make the bait fly past them.

Any time I would catch one, the captain(my uncle) would cuss at me and make me put on more weight. LOL
Maybe the triggers down south are a different type that doesen't taste so hot. I've eaten the kind we get up her & it's delicious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts