BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a couple buddies went to the A.C. show and started talking numbers on some of the boats, % down and interest rates is one thing but we were talking about how to figure what the cost to maintain and run the boat on a yearly basis would be. I understand all the variables and how you run your boat is different from the next guy. We run small boats now and its cheap enough we dont have to worry about it but we are looking at stuff in the mid 20s with twins or bigger singles. My question is how do you try to estimate the costs on a yearly basis.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Bigger boat means more money for insurance, slip fees, fuel costs, etc. the bigger boat can get further offshore which burns more fuel which comes down to more money. Outboards these days are fuel efficiant but they need to be serviced by a tech with a computer. The more bells and whistles a boat has means the more can break during the season. I would say if your looking to move up in size, search the used market first. There are a ton of deals this time of year.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
When I was in that spot, I tried not to think about it! When I had my Grady, it was over $1000 per month just to have (payment, slip, insurances, storage). That didnt account for leaving the dock, maintenance or breaking anything.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
When I was in that spot, I tried not to think about it! When I had my Grady, it was over $1000 per month just to have (payment, slip, insurances, storage). That didnt account for leaving the dock, maintenance or breaking anything.
Sounds about right. My monthly average over the last 7 years has been around $700.00 unfortuately had much higher boat, engine, and trailer expenses this year which pushed that up to around $1200.00 per month

As said above this does not include any actual fishing cost.

·
Registered
865 Posts
My 270 Amberjack with twin I/O expenses are roughly this

Summer slip $2700

Winter storage $2700 with winterization and shrink wrap

Insurance $ 1000 year roughly

Maintenance and repairs $1500-$2000

24 weekends of fuel at $200 a whack $4800

So roughly $1100 a month before bait and tackle and any upgrades or major repairs

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I budget $5K a year and thats with a paid off old boat.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I'd say I spend around 15k per yr. One boat in slip on Del bay...another boat crabbing the eastern shore MD.

Fish run about $200/lb del bay

crabs run around $75/bushel...chester river MD

Boats are paid for....I'd hate to be doing payments on top of it all....

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I called a bank and figured the payment on boat after down payment. Then called insurance and got a quote. I them called marina and got a quote. Then asked about the winter. Then figure zincs bottom paint wax cleaner oil and filters etc for each spring. Then any safety and comfort equipment you will need, Then budget something for maintenance, also figure a yearly tow service of your choice. Both are great. Then look into the weekly fuel food drinks etc for the time in the water. Se how you feel after all that. Then add a little more and divide by 12.

good luck.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Funny you posted this...
Think about the average guy who fishes 1 or 2 weekend days per week. 14 week season and 1 - 2 full weeks.. So 35 days per year. Divide that by the cost of owership/useage for the year.
So if you have a $400/month payment plus $4000 per year of costs for bait, fuel etc. Figure on $9000 per year. Divided by 35 trips it averages out to $260 per trip :eek:
Makes the $150ish Adam bomb trips look like the deal of the century :thumbsup::thumbsup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
865 Posts
If i lived in jersey close to the water i would hands down own a small trailerable boat 20-23' but since i live a hour and a half from my marina i bought a boat with cabin kitchen bathroom ect... when people ask me and my wife why we spend 15k a year on a boat... She just tells them where else are you gonna own a waterfront condo for 15k a year and be able to go fishing whenever you want...

I think if you live close to the beach and are worried about yearly costs stay with a boat that is easily trailerable it will keep your costs down alot

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
23 ft boat paid for-I am guessing on the insurance and maintenance

Dock 1050
Insurance 400
end of season marina maintenance 600ish
Beginning of season tuneup paint bottom 900ish

I drop off and pick up boat, Store at a friends house

Dont know the fuel bait number-depends on where i go and how often. Varies year to tear

·
Registered
684 Posts
A general rule of thumb is 10% of the total cost of boat per year. $50,000 times 10% is $5,000 per year. What ever you have left over isn't going to buy much beer. Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Makes the $150ish Adam bomb trips look like the deal of the century :thumbsup::thumbsup:
You got that right. But we do it anyway.:confused:

FWIW, your shammy is fine...............I was down at Josh's yesterday.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Funny you posted this...

Ditto. Can't thnk about the costs per keeper fish. Too depressing!

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Tight enough that we couldn't see your 3G.:(

Back to the costs; mine costs me around 4000.00 a year. Slip, fuel, oil, insurance, Sea Tow, maintenance, bait, running back and forth.

Any improvements or gear changes are additional. And in 2011 there were a lot of those, since I was the new owner of a 24 year old boat.

There is no loan payment.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I thought my next boat was going to be a 25'-28' CC or WA with twin OB's but the more I look at it I just can not afford it. I think now I'm going to be in a 21'-23' CC with a single OB. I'm also thinking of a 22' gas inboard boat (Shamrock)....just afraid I will crash the dock with it to much.:D

I haet not having a boat it blows. Even though I get plenty of invites and trips from friend their is nothing like having you own to use anytime you want.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
If i lived in jersey close to the water i would hands down own a small trailerable boat 20-23' but since i live a hour and a half from my marina i bought a boat with cabin kitchen bathroom ect... when people ask me and my wife why we spend 15k a year on a boat... She just tells them where else are you gonna own a waterfront condo for 15k a year and be able to go fishing whenever you want...

I think if you live close to the beach and are worried about yearly costs stay with a boat that is easily trailerable it will keep your costs down alot
I bought my boat so that I can stay on it a few weekends in the summer with the wife. Installing shore power, tv and microwave for some comfort. Already have a fresh water sink and we are only 50 yards from the bath house. To rent a hotel from for a weekend down the shore is $500+ so the more weekend trips I make, the better the investment

1 - 20 of 46 Posts