BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trailer a whaler and it needs a new coat of bottom paint. With all of the different types and chemical compositions available makes my head spin. Can anyone suggest a black bottom paint for my situation that wont break the bank?

·
Registered
39,870 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
We carry interlux brand. 69.99 for the standard and 79.99 for the ablative. If you do not want to craw under the trailer we can paint it for you. 175.00 with the standard and 200.00 with the ablative.This paint will work just fine for your application.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BT3100 said:
If you trailer it do you need a bottom paint?
West and Boaters World sell low price bottom paints for $50-$60 a gal.
I just picked up a gal of Boaters World brand 45% Copper (Sea Bowld)
$75 and you get a $25 Gift Card mailed. West had $100 and $40 Rebate...
These are both single season non Ablative basic anti fouling paints, for moderate growth areas. That should do the trick..
it has an old job on it and it looks terrible right now becuase its old. How long will it last being that I trailer?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
If you trailer it, you don't need bottom paint. Have someone soda blast it and it will look new. Then forget about paint and that yearly expense. I've been trailering the same 19 footer for almost 33 years and never painted it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aimless said:
If you trailer it, you don't need bottom paint. Have someone soda blast it and it will look new. Then forget about paint and that yearly expense. I've been trailering the same 19 footer for almost 33 years and never painted it.
i would like to, but i got quoted like 700$ to soda blast and another 200$ to polish it out. If thats the going rate i'll stick with the paint.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Groggy said:
i would like to, but i got quoted like 700$ to soda blast and another 200$ to polish it out. If thats the going rate i'll stick with the paint.
Groggy,

Check out Costal Blasting he is a Barn sponsor and his price should be a lot less than what you think. He is getting ready to do a few boats at our yard. You also should see a savings in gas with a loss of weight and drag.

Mike

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I am in the process of stripping mine. I water / sand blasted the many coats of hard bottom paint and barrier coat down to bare gelcoat, ground out any chips and chased out any hairline cracks in the gelcoat , and now am ready for filling and then fairing. After I have the boat faired, Iwill be painting on Interlux VC Performance epoxy. It is gonna be sweet when it is finished , but, it sure is alot of work ! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bottom painting a trailered boat

If you're putting in and taking out the same day there is no need to paint.....even if you leave it in for the week end ...still ok....BUT....
after that slime and barnacles move in pretty fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts