BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been some debate over the latest NUKE Plant shutdown on exactly how many fish lost thier lives..
-----------------------------------------------
Lacey nuclear plant shut for pump repairs

Published: Monday, January 30, 2006
Updated: Monday, January 30, 2006

? The Oyster Creek nuclear power plant has been temporarily shut down so workers can repair two broken recirculation pumps.

The shutdown began Saturday at 10:22 p.m., plant officials announced Sunday, but it was not known how long the repair work would take or when the reactor would be restarted. Plans for the shutdown had been made public on Friday, but plant officials would not disclose a specific closing time because it could have had an impact on energy market prices.

One of the facility's five large pumps, which circulate cool water through the reactor, shut down just before 9 a.m. Wednesday; the other shut down last summer. The malfunction is believed to be caused by a short in power to pump ground cables, officials have said.

The 630-megawatt plant in Lacey Township is the oldest commercial nuclear power plant in the United States. The plant can operate at full power with one pump inoperable, but with two down it was running at about 50 percent power last week.

On Saturday night, plant operators slowly shut the plant down so that the discharge temperature dropped by about one degree an hour. They also worked with state and federal environmental officials to reduce the environmental impact from the shutdown.

Fewer than 70 bluefish died when operators shut down the plant, stopping the flow of warm water into the Ocean County plant's discharge canal. However, more cold-tolerant fish in the canal, such as striped bass, were not affected, and workers will monitor canal temperatures throughout the length of the outage.

·
Registered
689 Posts
that's all they are telling you about.what about the fish that sink.last time this happened a diver friend who dove there said for every fish you see floating on the surface there are 20 more on the bottom but they will not talk about that.out of sight out of mind.Louis

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Wa Wa Wa This plant reduces our national reliance on oil and gas, while providing good paying work to American Union Workers. They do there best to have a slow shutdown, so that enviromental impact is minimised. Do you think I believe your budy dives at the discharge and counts fish ? What is his name Edward Kennedy ?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I am hearing the fishkill impact is very minimal at this point..These repairs were unexpected and needed, so whatever it takes to keep that thing running smoothy is the major concern here I believe..

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by leonardzelinski:
I doubt anyone dives there,the visability is probably 2ft.And i doubt the military/state troopers would allow that so close to the plant.
True,
But man that would be neat to see what exactly winters in there every year..

·
Registered
689 Posts
my buddy was the state biologist working on studies at that plant.they are the facts i really do not care if you want to believe them or not.i never said they were not trying to reduce the kill of fish.Louis

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ther was a spill from Sunoco in the Delaware river about two weeks ago. I did not hear anything about that. it wasn't that large of a spill however oil leaked into the river. Please tell me how they get away with this. A person who worked on the scene told me about this. Did you hear any of this? probably not.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you want to read about spill type problems on the Del. River, there isa a web site that reports and explains on those types of activities.
Google up Delaware River Keeper

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
BFJ, you fish that are?, live near that place? Have any interest other than, "wa, wa, wa"? I fish that area in spring, as do other people I know. I think it sucks that they had to do it, but what does that have to do with , "good pay for American union workers" It's about the fish kill. Do you really think they gave Maximum effort in ensuring that the fish that reside there would be minimally effected? If you really believe that, then I feel bad for ya.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is some information from a employee at the plant that was posted on another site by
FishingNuke

----------------------------------------------
You should learn your facts first before posting. For this shut down we have spent almost one million dollars to keep as many fish alive as possible. That one million does not include the money we lost running at only 50% till we could shut down when the weather was a bit warmer.
We requested and recievd permission from the Sate of NJ to shut down due to required maintenance on 2 pumps.
Oyster Creek went out and rented 2 package boilers, one oil tanker and one water tanker and purchassed 12 heat exchages to heat the water in a effort to keep and area of the canal at a temp around 47 to 50 degrees, we installed a special boom that came from Mass over nite to make a warm water pond area for the fish. We rented 2 50 ft barges to use as a platform and rented a crane 24 hours a day to lift those barges in and out of the water. Oyster creek is paying 20 enviornmental people 24 hours aday to monitor the fish and work with them.
We understand that blue fish will die, so we went out and rented a refridgeerator truck and went to local fod banks, we netted and rod and reeled as many blue fish as possible, paid guys to fillet them and we are stocking the food banks.
The expectation is that striped bass will survive in the water temp provided with very minimal loss. In fact as of 7 AM we had zero bass dead.
Sure a few fish will die but we have taknen untold measures to keep those numbers at a minimum.
It the price you pay for electricity. Or do you use candles.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Strikes,
Your above message from fishnuke was dead on. People don't think where our electricity, heating oil, etc comes from. I'd love to see - nah, never mind, this'll turn into another peeing contest.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think all of you people that are so concerned about the sudden temp drop should go there and take a look for yourself.

Ohhh on your way stop and pick up a few sixpacks drink them and then take a wiz off the rt 9 bridge. If enough people do this the temp should get up around 98.6 and I can catch groupers there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Blankbender, well put (laughed my a** off at the second part). It seems as though the plant is making every effort within their power to minimalize damage to the ecosystem. Hopefully this shutdown won't last too long and the fish can return to their natural nuke environment! Nightstrikes, do you have any idea (or know estimates) as to how long it will take for the plant to make repairs?---Was just curious about how big of a problem this really is.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by eelball:
Good info Strikes. Not that I lost any sleep over it anyway.
I might take a ride up that way this morning,to see if there are any floaters around...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well,I did not find any evidence of dead fish up by the bridge,mid-river or down by the bay.I also saw no signs of any operation of a clean-up or on-going work to fix anytype of problem they may of had there.Business as usual,the water was flowing out of the plant and looked clean and to the touch felt about normal.I did not take a water temp though..

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Thanx for the update, looks and sounds good. Even though there was sure to be some fatality, it looks like they did a heck of a job ,all things considered.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts